Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go to Hell

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    if it is a series about one main character who is the main character in each novel of the series, it is not a paranormal romance series.
    I've seen you say that before, but I think things have changed. MaryJanice Davidson's series, starting with Undead and Unwed, are unabashedly centered on romance, and the protagonist of all eleven books is Betsy Taylor, Vampire Queen. It's one of the top-selling series, and no one ever argues that it isn't "really" PNR. There are others that I would probably shelve with fantasy but get shelved with romance, like Marjorie Liu's Hunter Kiss series. So I don't think that criterion is withstanding erosion.

I tend to prefer "descriptive" definitions over prescriptive ones, and I saw a while ago that a PNR blog held a poll for favorite PNR heroine. Mercy Thompson won. She would probably be one of the top choices in a UF poll, too.

But enough of this urban fantasy hijack! The OP told us all to go to Hell.

If I run into any more titles for the Hell criteria, I'll put them up.
    Thank you!

In comics/graphic novels, there's Hellboy, John Constantine and Ghostrider, just to start.
    I'd add Neil Gaiman's Sandman and it's spin-off series Lucifer.

All the books that I'm aware of have already been mentioned.

Uh, Moderator
    Not a 100% fit, but what about Alan Campbell's Scar Night (running off hazy recollection here) and Hal Duncan's Escape From Hell (haven't read it but the title would suggest it fits. Maybe).

In comics/graphic novels, there's Hellboy
    In name only. For now. Hellboy goes to Hell in the next six months or so, but no-one knows what it'll be like or anything, and on top of that there's 12 trade paperbacks (at least) of Hellboy to read before that happens as well as 12 B.P.R.D. ones before the "Hell on Earth" arc begins (and it's less a 'Hell' and more a general 'hell').

bingley bingley beep kissmequick's Avatar
    There's the Sandman Slim series (which I heartily recommend). In the first, Slim escapes from Hell, but he ends up going back.....

Truly great stuff.

Ill Second the Sandman Slim series its a pull no punches fast read

I will not derail the thread any further by explaining cross-marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn
    In name only. For now. Hellboy goes to Hell in the next six months or so, but no-one knows what it'll be like or anything,
    Well that is the question -- how picky are we being here? If it's only descents into Hell, then that's a smaller group. However, on the comics front, I was reminded that I totally left out Spawn. But there are a lot of comics stories that deal with Hell.

There's also The Last Song of Orpheus by Robert Silverberg. And Steve Erikson's Malazan series deals with different versions of hells.

Sandman Slim! Yes, I know, it's already been mentioned more than once. Tough. ;-)

Has anyone mentioned God's Demon, by Wayne Barlowe? That takes place in hell, at least in part. A demon seeks redemption.

As for PNR vs UF -- there's PNR, and then there's PNR. And yes, for most of us, the two definitely do overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    if it is a series about one main character who is the main character in each novel of the series, it is not a paranormal romance series.
    *coughcough*bullsh*t*coughcough*

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    As for PNR vs UF -- there's PNR, and then there's PNR. And yes, for most of us, the two definitely do overlap.
    1) Stop using one of the two words we don't allow.
    2) We're trying to move that conversation into a different thread, since it's off topic. I'll go see what you put there, then, shall I?

Back to Hell. I forgot Wayne's. That would be another one. I imagine a lot of the Christian fantasy might touch on the topic.

1) Stop using one of the two words we don't allow.
    "Definitely"?

I'm happy with rambling conversations, personally, but I do know that at some point in the future someone will come searching sffworld for books regarding hell journeys, and that person shouldn't have to be subjected to all our digressions.

Clive Barker's Mr. B. Gone takes place partly in Hell. Loved that book!

Blog Entries
    If I recall it properly there was a story by Alan Dean Foster called To the Vanishing Point where a vacationing family off to a weekend in Vegas decides to "take the scenic route" and drives off into a series of bizarre alternate realities. One of them is literally on a highway to Hell (an apt description of the dusty desert roads between Barstow and Vegas) where drinking fountains spew out scalding hot water and the beaurocrats in charge have trouble figuring out what to do with the vacationing family who clearly don't belong there. Other waystations are equally interesting and bizarre including a popular truckstop diner catering to humans and aliens alike and even a futuristic Las Vegas.

For criminal acts and violence on the stage
    For being a brat
    Refusing to act your age
    For all of the decent citizens you've enraged
    You can go to Hell

For gambling and drinking alcohol constantly
    For making us doubt our parents authority
    For choosing to be a living obscenity
    You can go to Hell

You're something that never should have happened
    You even make your Grandma sick

You'd poison a blind man's dog and steal his cane