What has the discovery of Earth-Like Planets Beyond Our Solar System Done For Your Fi

I have given the discovery of other Earth-Like planets beyond our solar system a lot of thought.

I don't think another world would evolve like us. Something fundamental would have to be different to create a different culture and history that would be odd to people of Earth.

I've designed a spin-off of humans where evolution sent them in an entirely different direct by simply examining a civilization of women having physical superiority over the men of their world, since their history began.

Has the discovery of other Earth-Like planets influenced you?

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Day Myth View Post

Not in the least, I have always believed they existed. If it was proven they did not exist that would be a different story.
    Last edited by JimF; August 27th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Not yet, since we don't know any more about them beyond the fact that they are there... which we suspected anyway.

I agree that any life found on one will surely evolve differently than ours. Having said that, life on Earth has "tried out" many configurations, seeking optimum efficiency, and chances are life on other planets would try many or all of the same configurations for the same goals. But the differences and survivability pressures of planets will dictate which configurations survive and which don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    Not yet, since we don't know any more about them beyond the fact that they are there... which we suspected anyway.

I agree that any life found on one will surely evolve differently than ours. Having said that, life on Earth has "tried out" many configurations, seeking optimum efficiency, and chances are life on other planets would try many or all of the same configurations for the same goals. But the differences and survivability pressures of planets will dictate which configurations survive and which don't.
    I agree with you. That is the way I see it too.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    I should mention that I did use two of the systems containing Earth-like planets, Fomalhaut and Gliese, as destinations in my novels Verdant Skies and Verdant Pioneers, following the logic that systems compatible to the Solar System would likely have compounds and minerals available for human use.

Check out the Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe if you want to see a bit of the sciences behind how these other planets would be, and some ideas of how life could evolve on various worlds.

Don't re-invent the wheel.

A science-fiction writer with more than adequate knowledge to draw from who has created quite a number of alien worlds with alternate biologies, and hence cultures, is Brian Stableford. Books and series such as the "Daedalus" sextet, the "Genesys" trilogy, The Omega Expedition, and many, many more are both good reading and thought-provoking looks at what "alien" and "human" might mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Day Myth View Post
    I have given the discovery of other Earth-Like planets beyond our solar system a lot of thought.

I don't think another world would evolve like us. Something fundamental would have to be different to create a different culture and history that would be odd to people of Earth.

I've designed a spin-off of humans where evolution sent them in an entirely different direct by simply examining a civilization of women having physical superiority over the men of their world, since their history began.

I just started watching Star Trek TNG again & there's an episode in the first season that deals with this exact issue.