Can any one tell me the name of this story?

In the mid seventies I heard part of a story on the radio. It went something like this. A very damaged person was found in space by aliens and restored to life without blueprints. He doesn't fit in with society and becomes a recluse. They find an alien artifact but any one that tries to inspect it doesn't come back out of it. They enlist the help of the recluse to go in. That is as far as I got.
    Now would love to find out what happens. Ring a bell with anyone?

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Howdy gevarm!

Welcome to SFFWorld.com. I moved your thread to the Help! Do you know... (SF) thread because you might get a better response here.

The story sounds interesting. Good luck in finding it!

Thanks
    Missed that. It is amazing how certain stories seem to strike a resonant chord. I have a friend who has been looking for his copy of "Way Station" which of course he hands to everybody to read because he loves the story.
    Cheers

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gevarm: welcome to SFFWorld.

It sounds a little like Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys: Wikipedia LINK; my review.

Mark
    Mark

There are enough matching elements in the description to say that that is a distinct possibility. Thank you for suggestion I shall see if I can get a hold of it.
    Cheers Gevarm

Blog Entries
    Hope it works!

Mark
    Mark

Apparently Rogue Moon was made into a radio play in the 1970s:

http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/yuri-rasovsky.html

As for the novel, I think Mark has been kind to it - it's a difficult read despite being short as the dialogue is completely over-the-top and the characters are self-obsessed. This type of writing can be fine in the hands of a talented writer but although Budrys has some interesting ideas to put forward, at that time he just didn't have the literary skill to make it work, IMO. The ending is ludicrous too, as I remember.

Still, glad you've probably found what you were looking for!

edit: and here's the personal site of the producer of the radio play - Yuri Rasovsky. It seems he has only just died

http://www.irasov.com/bio.htm
    Last edited by Ropie; July 6th, 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks Ropie
    It still may not be the story.
    Cheers

Rogue Moon doesn't involve a man rebuilt by aliens, but it does feature a mysterious alien artefact (which kills everyone who enters it).

Clifford Simak's Time and Again, however, does have a man who is rebuilt by aliens, but he ends up triggering a time war over a book he wrote about the rights of androids.

Blog Entries
    Rogue Moon doesn't involve a man rebuilt by aliens, but it does feature a mysterious alien artefact (which kills everyone who enters it).
    You're right, Ian: and my thinking was that it does involve a man being repeatedly reassembled as duplicates through a matter transmitter by the powers that be in order to investigate the alien artifact.

Sometimes memories remember things wrong.... so it might have been worth a try.

And I'd forgotten about Time and Again: really must reread that one.

Mark
    Mark

You might also try Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlan. I seem to recall it being remotely similar to what you are describing.

There's also Silverberg's The Man in the Maze.