Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in August 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Mark
    Mark

Finished Scourge of the Betrayer and it's definitely worth all the praise that's been handed out. Great book, but also mostly a set-up for more. I would have liked more, but at the same time, that's what's the next book's for and it will be HIGHLY anticipated.

Also, I don't remember if I posted about this before, but I finished This Dark Earth. If you're going to read a zombie book, that's the one to read. Awesome. I still can't stop thinking about it weeks after reading.

Finally, I'm currently reading Lucky Bastard by S.G. Browne. The name really says it all... must...read.

The premise is just great, though. The protagonist is a luck poacher, essentially stealing and selling luck like a drug. There are different grades of luck and it's really well thought out although there are a few inconsistencies I've noticed. Still a good read so far. Lots of jokes (mostly about sex) and lots of crazy trouble this guy's gotten himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post

Finally, I'm currently reading Lucky Bastard by S.G. Browne. The name really says it all... must...read.

The premise is just great, though. The protagonist is a luck poacher, essentially stealing and selling luck like a drug.
    That is a VERY neat idea. I'll watch for your review, thinking maybe to add this to the TBR pile. First book in a series?

Finished Mageborn 3 book series by Manning (there could be more books in series in future), and liking it. Traditional boy to mage story, coming of age, responsibility of power etc. Real page turner. Could be too traditional for some readers though.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Read Kings of Morning by Paul Kearney. I liked it a lot better than Corvus, mostly for the new angle of showing the Kufr point of view in the conflict - the sibling rivalry and the ageing King made me think of Shakespearean tragedies.
    There's only one major battle, but it is the battle that changed the course of history: Gaugamesh / Gaugamela marks the tryumph of Alexander Macedon / Corvus and the collapse of the Persian / Asurian Empire. Great writing, as usual for Kearney, with a bit of an open ending that I hope will allow a comeback to this alternate universe for more books with different protagonists. Or maybe the author will finish the pirate adventures series that I havee been avoiding until I have confirmation of closure.

I've moved now from military fantasy to fairytales with two of the best writers in the genre today:
    - Patricia McKillip - Alphabet of Thorn
    - Catherynne Valente - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making

I'm about to start Clash of Kings. Really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulskemp View Post
    That is a VERY neat idea. I'll watch for your review, thinking maybe to add this to the TBR pile. First book in a series?
    I don't think so, although I could see more coming out of this. Other than the luck poaching thing, it's a pretty standard Urban Fantasy - wise-cracking first person narrative, set in metropolitan area (San Francisco), lots of problems all coming to a head at once (and well-explained since the whole story's about luck). I'm about done and I would totally go for more.

Tonight I'll start a new debut novel, one published today (and mine arrived today, oddly!). That book is none other than Lou Morgan's Blood and Feathers from Solaris.

Hopefully this'll be an Urban Fantasy book wot gets it right.

Read interesting books
    Got my copy of The Air war (#8) by A. Tchaikovsky and will start it tonight; it seems to run in parallel with Heirs of the Blade at least for a while (so sadly no Thalric, Tynisa, Cheerwell this book) but lots of new characters seem to appear plus the surviving favorite old ones from the Collegium, Empire and Solarno

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Got my copy of The Air war (#8) by A. Tchaikovsky and will start it tonight;
    *attempts to pierce Liviu with +10 Stare of Envy*

Just finished Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis. Really enjoyed it, but it was pretty dark. So I think I'll take a break before moving on to The Coldest War.

Also, just got my copy of Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson. And I can't wait to get started on it. Erikson tends to write the kind of book I stay up all night with. So I don't want to start it tonight. I need to be awake at work tomorrow. But I'm stoked for this weekend.

I finished the several anthologies that I was catching up on, and am now familiar with a lot more UF authors than I was before.

As well, I read The Calling, an UF from 2009 by David Mack. It struck me as an okay thriller with a supernatural element attached. It thought that the SN twist was worked in well, and set up the mythology to support a series, though it appears that no other novels have been written in this world. There's a male protagonist and not much romance, so for those looking for such things, this might fit the bill.

I also read Gunmetal Magic, Book 5.5 in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. This book spotlighted a supporting character in the series, Andrea, who I don't care for as much as I do the normal central figure. Despite that, I enjoyed the book well enough. Some decent humor, drama, fight scenes, etc. Obviously not my favorite of the series, but I think that it should please fans of this world.

Meanwhile, I've been reading some thriller/suspense type books in order to put off in deciding what Fantasy to read next. There are several books that I have lying about that I'd started for the first time, but put down and not picked up again due to dissatisfaction for one reason or another. Those include "Return of the Black Company", "Furies of Calderon", "Gardens of the Moon", "The Darkness That Comes Before", "A Cavern of Black Ice" and "The Eye of the World". I'd quite like to finish some of these so that I can finally put them away, but I continue to procrastinate. Decisions, decisions.

Still picking away at Warbreaker - I miss vacation and being able to just read read read. I am finding it a little slow. Just around 320 pgs in. Finally had a little bit more action last night. Lots and lots of set up going on. Time to get on with it.

Read interesting books
    I read some 100 pages from Air War and besides being the superb book one expected, there are some surprises in so far there are quite a lot of new characters who seem destined for starring roles - a new "tetrad" of special Collegium (more or less as, well, would not want to spoil it but there is a scene that strongly reminds one of how we met the original 4, Che, Tynisa, Totho and Salma...) youngsters, a cool Assassin Bug kinden on a mission, a Wasp kinden spy master with a secret...

The lack of Che, Tynisa and Thalric that I was a little disappointed about, is at least for now more than compensated by the new guys and girls

Read a few books while on the honeymoon.

Finished The Hammer by K. J. Parker. I enjoyed it. Lots of the mental/psychological stuff I expect from the author.

Read Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey. I wanted some light beach reading, so I grabbed this one. First time I've read Lackey in about. . . sixteen years. It was a fun book. It doesn't bring anything new to the genre (but then again, it was published in '87), and it's full of cliches, but it was enjoyable and fun. Love that it has a heroine and not a hero.

Read Assassins Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I had dismissed Hobb a while ago after I heard a bunch of praise for her on this site and then decided to try her out. The only first book they had at my local bookstore was the first installment of the Soldier Son Trilogy. Well, I read about 1/3 of that and abandoned it. It was awful. I just couldn't get into it. Of course people told me I had chosen the wrong book, but I didn't believe them when they said her other stuff was good. How could someone who wrote that be capable of writing anything I'd like? Well, I relented, and tried this one. I really liked it. Again, I don't know whats so new about it, save for the fact that he's an assassin. I've read a lot of stories with the same kind of set up and general structure, but it's well written and fun. The book actually reminded me of C. J. Cheryh, which personally, I think is high praise.

Read Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede. Loved this book, but then again, I love Wrede. I never thought a fantasy set in the Old West would appeal to me, but this certainly did. Wrede has a knack for bringing historical settings into the magical. Fun read.

Started reading House of Chains by Steven Erikson while on vacation, and then finished it last night. I really liked this book. I actually think its my favourite thus far. There's some really funny stuff in there, not to mention some awesome characters taking the fore. (Not to mention I was right about a certain character. Booyeah!) Great book.

Haven't figured out what I'm going to read next, yet.