Thread: New here

Hybrid View

Published Novelist

New here

Hi, actually I posted a few months ago, but I'm essentially new. Allow me to introduce myself.

I'm Kenneth Eng, a well-known sci fi writer. I'm here because I want to hear about other people's books instead of just reading my own like I normally do.

Right now, my favorite is Ringworld. Does anyone else know of any pro-Asian sci fi/fantasy books out there?

Also, how do I create a signature?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth2 View Post
    Hi Kenneth,
    Currently there's no facility to have a signature and I don't think that'll change any time soon.

If you wish to advertise your own books, as I'm sure you do, then we have a Promotion Zone just for that and whilst it's open we ask that you keep any and all adverts for your own books there (although there is some allowance for suggesting your own or talking about them in other topics).

As for your question, well - that's a toughie. All I can really think of are the Chung Kho books (as a series), but you'd have to define "pro-Asian" for anyone to really be able to suggest books.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Hi Ken,

There is also the Initiate Brother by Sean Russell.

Right now, my favorite is Ringworld. Does anyone else know of any pro-Asian sci fi/fantasy books out there?
    It doesn't really count as "pro" Asian, but the protagonist Takeshi Kovacs from Richard Morgan's books is part Japanese (was part Japanese -- the characters exchange bodies many times throughout the stories), and there are relatively frequent mentions of the Asian-flavored culture of his home world throughout the books.
    Last edited by Contrarius; August 30th, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

Published Novelist
    Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to get those books when I have the chance.

Hi, actually I posted a few months ago, but I'm essentially new. Allow me to introduce myself.

I'm Kenneth Eng, a well-known sci fi writer. I'm here because I want to hear about other people's books instead of just reading my own like I normally do.

Kenneth,

What exactly do you mean by the part of your statement I put in bold?

As for books:

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, Book 1) by Lian Hearn
    Last edited by Carlyle Clark; August 30th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Obvious troll, surely ?

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now, now. Let's not read anything into this.

If you have books to recommend, please do.

I'll second Across the Nightingale Floor, but the story didn't capture my heart enough to follow the rest of the series, but I did like the overall world building Mrs. Hearn accomplished.

I've been really wanting to try out a book I saw and read a review that got me interested, but then I promptly forgot about it.

It's relatively new. It has an Asian-looking warrior on the front looking to the side. I believe there are tall buildings or mountains in the background and it appears the wind is whipping around his robe and/or belt. I can't remember much of the story line, but it seemed epic. Any clue?
    Last edited by N. E. White; August 30th, 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: gender slip

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    The Paladin by CJ Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    It's relatively new. It has an Asian-looking warrior on the front looking to the side. I believe there are tall buildings or mountains in the background and it appears the wind is whipping around his robe and/or belt. I can't remember much of the story line, but it seemed epic. Any clue?
    Oh dang. I don't know this one, but you've reminded me of a different new one (last year, I guess) that has cherry blossoms on the front, and I think a woman in some sort of kimono. Dangit. Hope I think of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Oh dang. I don't know this one, but you've reminded me of a different new one (last year, I guess) that has cherry blossoms on the front, and I think a woman in some sort of kimono. Dangit. Hope I think of it!
    I believe you're talking about Stormdancer, maybe?

Last edited by Mister; August 30th, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding cover