Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing more on why you feel this way - it definitely clashes with my views!
    Too be honest, they were annoying. They seemed very fake, with bad, unrealistic dialogue. I'm talking specificly about Eddie and his girlfriend. It's been a few years so I can't name any specifics though.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Too be honest, they were annoying. They seemed very fake, with bad, unrealistic dialogue. I'm talking specificly about Eddie and his girlfriend. It's been a few years so I can't name any specifics though.
    Perhaps you weren't in a good frame of mind to read them. I've noticed this about myself at times, I'll begin reading something and it just doesn't click with me so I put it down and months, sometimes years later I'll go back to it and find that I absolutely love everything about it. This happened to me with Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I just couldn't get into it so I put it down and I believe it was five years later I picked it back up and it was awesome.

  3. #18
    I started out as a sci/fi fan 18 years ago and have read a majority of works written by the following authors:

    Robert Heinlein
    Isaac Asimov
    Michael Crichton
    Orson Scott Card
    L. Ron Hubbard
    Stephen King
    Larry Niven
    Frederik Pohl
    Arthur C. Clarke
    Frank Herbert
    Ray Bradbury
    Dan Simmons
    H.G. Wells
    Franz Kafka
    Robert Silverberg
    Harry Turtledove
    Robert Ludlum
    Poul Anderson
    Greg Bear
    Kurt Vonnegut
    William Gibson
    Aldous Huxley
    Ben Bova
    Tom Clancy
    Clive Cussler
    James A Michener
    Jules Verne
    Zecharia Sitchin
    Dean R Koontz
    Greg Bear
    Spider Robinson

    I never really gave much thought to Fantasy as a genre worth investing in. I found that after reading Stephan Kings' Dark Tower series, I washed up on the shore of "Fantasy". I really enjoyed this series and recommend reading all of the books.

  4. #19
    Registered User HeclaBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Too be honest, they were annoying. They seemed very fake, with bad, unrealistic dialogue. I'm talking specificly about Eddie and his girlfriend. It's been a few years so I can't name any specifics though.
    Are you talking about the made up words and phrases for Roland's world, or more about the speech patterns King will give some of his characters with pet nicknames, phrases and terms that they use a lot?

    I can understand how King doing this could get annoying for some people but it doesn't really bother me because I figure most peoples' irl speech patterns would look silly if they were written down.

    Although the Suzanna character did get grating for me when she would be speaking as her mean, bitter personality.

  5. #20
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by HeclaBull View Post
    Although the Suzanna character did get grating for me when she would be speaking as her mean, bitter personality.
    Well, you weren't particularly meant to warm to her. Detta was, if you think about it, the embodiment of oppressed blacks in Odetta/Detta's era.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by HeclaBull View Post
    Are you talking about the made up words and phrases for Roland's world, or more about the speech patterns King will give some of his characters with pet nicknames, phrases and terms that they use a lot?

    I can understand how King doing this could get annoying for some people but it doesn't really bother me because I figure most peoples' irl speech patterns would look silly if they were written down.

    Although the Suzanna character did get grating for me when she would be speaking as her mean, bitter personality.
    Nope, no problems with made up languages, in fact I tend to like them as it really takes you into the book. Again, it's been a few years since I read them but I remember reading it and thinking, there is no way that character with that background is going to talk like that. I guess it's really just Suzanna and Eddie I had a problem with, King just went over the top with those two.

    Dialogue aside, biggest problem was the story just wasn't very tight. Meandering with no real purpose form one problem to the next.

  7. #22
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Again, that's kinda the point. It's a series that isn't about the ending, it's about the journey and what happens on it.

  8. #23
    Don't read this garbage. Three years ago I wasted a solid month of my life reading this series. That's a month I'll never get back. Weak plot, poor ending, and just an all around boring series imo. I would rank this series my bottom 5 fantasy series read of all time. STICK TO HORROR MR. KING!

    In case you're wondering, when I start a series I always finish it...although I should have made an exception and dropped this one around book three.

  9. #24
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Or people could make up their own minds about it, which we encourage here. I'd recommend it, most of the members of this site who've read it would too. But I don't think any of us think it's flawless.

    Also, King's best novels tend not to be his horror ones.

  10. #25
    @PeteMC666 PeteMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,741
    I read almost everything King put out in the 80s/early 90s but I've somehow never picked up this series.

    Extremely mixed reactions on this thread make me think this must be worth looking at so I can at least have an opinion of my own!

  11. #26
    Funny that people complain about a meandering plot,but when T.V. shows do it, NO ONE COMPLAINS.I would prefer a more straight forward plot myself, but I can deal with it.

    Also I challenge anyone here to say that Roland Deschain is not a badass. That may not be a selling point for some, but dammit, I would even challenge someone who hates the series to say he isn't.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Again, that's kinda the point. It's a series that isn't about the ending, it's about the journey and what happens on it.
    Well then my point was the point sucks. What was your point?

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Funny that people complain about a meandering plot,but when T.V. shows do it, NO ONE COMPLAINS.I would prefer a more straight forward plot myself, but I can deal with it.

    Also I challenge anyone here to say that Roland Deschain is not a badass. That may not be a selling point for some, but dammit, I would even challenge someone who hates the series to say he isn't.
    well yeah, he was based on the man with no name. How could he not be badass.

  14. #29
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Well then my point was the point sucks. What was your point?
    My point was clearly made in the post you quoted.

  15. #30
    Michigan, just for the sake of curiosity, what would you consider a great fantasy series along the lines of The Dark Tower?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •