Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Michigan, just for the sake of curiosity, what would you consider a great fantasy series along the lines of The Dark Tower?
    Dark Tower is pretty unique, I don't know that there are alot of alternate universe/portal fantasy series out there. Certainly not that deals with a modern setting. I find the setting of the book amazing, maybe a post apoctalyptic setting is the best comparison with obvious western influences. Shows a ton of imagination in this sense. My problems are mostly with Kings structure which is non-existent. I don't get the sense of an all encompassing story, more like a bunch of seperate vignettes strung together. In this sense I am reminded of Terry Goodkind or Best Served Cold by Abercrombie, both of which I felt were too linear and I was not a big fan of. Obviously these are three very different stories by very different authors so don't take that comment out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Dark Tower is pretty unique, I don't know that there are alot of alternate universe/portal fantasy series out there. Certainly not that deals with a modern setting. I find the setting of the book amazing, maybe a post apoctalyptic setting is the best comparison with obvious western influences. Shows a ton of imagination in this sense. My problems are mostly with Kings structure which is non-existent. I don't get the sense of an all encompassing story, more like a bunch of seperate vignettes strung together. In this sense I am reminded of Terry Goodkind or Best Served Cold by Abercrombie, both of which I felt were too linear and I was not a big fan of. Obviously these are three very different stories by very different authors so don't take that comment out of context.
    Don't worry, I can respect your opinion on things, just because I don't agree with you about The Dark Tower doesn't mean that your thoughts are invalid to me. I was just curious if you knew of any other series that is somewhat reminiscent of The Dark Tower, I might enjoy them if you did.