Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in September 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Mark
    Mark

About 150 pages from the end of the first part of George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords.

I'm enjoying it still, I think, but I'm still not sure if I should take a break at some point.

I am taking a short break from The Malazan Book of the Fallen after Reapers Gale by Steven Erikson.

A bit of modern classic? To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    I'm currently ready George MacDonald's Phantaste: A Faerie Romance. Just about 60 page from the end. I always love reading the roots of modern fantasy, MacDoanald is one of the most influential. I know the C.S. Lewis highly praised him and that he was a great influence on many of his contemporary british authors.

So far it's a neat little jaunt, somewhere between a faerie tale and modern fantasy. What this novel does bring to the board is a completely imagined world, which I believe MacDonald may have been the first to employ. The main character (who is from earth) basically goes galavanting through this faerie world being tempted, tested and tormented, to who knows what end, often times learning something a long the way. Ultimately he is chasing a beautiful faerie girl, but can't quite seem to catch up. I guess we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    About 150 pages from the end of the first part of George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords.

I'm enjoying it still, I think, but I'm still not sure if I should take a break at some point.
    I've found that when I have a few books in the series to read and am really enjoying them, I like to have breaks between the books so I don't overdo them.

I read A Game of Thrones only a month or two and liked it a lot, but am purposely waiting a while before I read Clash of Kings.

Unreasonable reasoner
    Finished "A Dance with Dragons." Very abrupt ending, especially reading it via Kindle.

Not sure what to follow it up with now. Might be time for a break from Fantasy with some Sci Fi and Historical Fiction

After reading the excellent Jack Glass I'm now onto a more subdued author in Haruki Murakami - though his book Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is so far weirder than his others I've read, but it's still got me interested...

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    I've found that when I have a few books in the series to read and am really enjoying them, I like to have breaks between the books so I don't overdo them.

I read A Game of Thrones only a month or two and liked it a lot, but am purposely waiting a while before I read Clash of Kings.
    It's tempting but I don't want to forget stuff. I forget what happened a few chapters ago, let alone in the previous book.

For the first time in a while, I'm starting a new book on the first of the month. In this case, the hardcover debut of an established author - Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines.

Finally finished The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers.

I think, if I'd read this at a less hectic time I'd have loved this book even more. It has action, adventure, an impossibly powerful enemy, warring cabals, despair and the triumph over despair, friendship, love, romance, skullduggery, conniving, magic, and one of the more interesting, intricate takes on the vampire/lamia that I've read. And Powers' research and ability to create an authentic setting gets me past my (few) reservations about his prose.

Randy M.

I took 3 Dave Duncan books on vacation (Against the Light and the books 2 & 3 by Ken Hood). One for each way on the plane and one for during the vacation. Unfortunately I underestimated the time I would spend on the train. Luckily I was able to find a Ruth Rendell mystery in English I had not read in a book store in Vienna.

Just finished Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld, a nice YA steampunk adventure set during WWI. Good enough to continue with the series at some point. Just started Year 6 at Hogwarts with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. Reading more YA than usual, not sure why. I'm no where near a YA.

Quote Originally Posted by Slice of G View Post
    Just finished Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld, a nice YA steampunk adventure set during WWI. Good enough to continue with the series at some point.
    Actually, Leviathan is dieselpunk

I read the whole series last year, I think, and I must admit I wasn't particularly impressed by it. Too many plotholes for me.

Thumbs up

Really enjoyed Leviathan series. Too bad you didn't. Guess it isn't your idea of real reading! I offer this series because of it having a girl heroine and a guy hero. In other words, great reading for ya and also for adults who like to share reading books with their kids.
    The illustrations are quite fantastic for everyone to enjoy. And also having a bit of historical background and robot driving help the young readers to get involved in the storyline.

I recommend this series to everyone!

I think calling Deryn a "girl" is kind-of missing the point.

Either way, the way Westerfeld handled Deryn/Dylan by the end of the series left me less than impressed, and the third book was just... blergh. Not Black Magician trilogy bad, but just... such a step down from what he could have achieved.