Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I finished Changes by Jim Butcher last night-- definitely my favorite Dresden book so far.

I'm debating whether to go right on to Ghost Story or start The Codex Alera---tough choice because it's the last Dresden book out and I've been savoring this series over the last year and a half. I'll be sad when I have to start waiting for them to be published.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Re-reading Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock in the run up to Halloween. I'm a slow reader and I'm trying to get back into writing after a long break so starting early is a must. I'm about 120 pages in, it's just as good as the first time. I will probably read Brom's The Child Thief next, another book I first read around Halloween a couple of years ago.

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ94122 View Post
    Just finished the Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan.

Excellent!

The series had just about everything I enjoy in a good story, including a super ending. As far as sheer fun goes, the Riyria Revelations is the best epic fantasy I've read in several years.
    Wow, thanks for the high praise. Making the ending satisfying was a huge goal for me so I'm glad that for you I made the right deicisions.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    Just picked up A Dance with Dragons again. I had burned myself out on fantasy books a couple of years ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm really digging in now though.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Wow, thanks for the high praise.
    You deserve it.

Now reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Just finished Tad Williams' first foray into urban fantasy, The Dirty Streets of Heaven. An interesting and entertaining read, no question. But I felt that the ending was rushed and robbed it of the impact it should have had...

Cheers,

Patrick

Finished the Troupe and Sandman Slim last week. Enjoyed them both. Especially the Troupe. Robert Jackson Bennett did a really good job of writing a teenager.

Going to start Caliban's War now.

Just started Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's The Healer's War. It's a fantasy set during the Vietnam war, which I'm really interested to see how the fantastical elements come into play. I've only read stuff by Scarborough that was written alongside Anne McCaffrey when I was quite young, and I was expecting something light. However, I've read the prologue and the dedication only, and I don't think that's going to be the case. It's a very pleasant surprise. Scarborough was a nurse in the Vietnam war, so I'm expecting some strong base in reality. The book won a Nebula in 1989. The dedication alone has piqued my interest:

It is also for my fellow Vietnam veterans, living and dead, male and female, military, civilian, and pacifist, American, South Vietnamese, North Vietnamese, and Chinese. And for our children, in hopes of arming them with hard questions to ask leaders selling cheap glory.
    That's a strong dedication, I think.
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; September 10th, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    Just started Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's The Healer's War. It's a fantasy set during the Vietnam war
    Another for the wish list. That sounds good! I'll be curious to hear how it turns out for you.

So far this month I've read Jim Hines new book, Libriomancer. Also read an oldie, Pavane by Keith Roberts, which straddles the line between fantasy and science fiction.

Now reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    Just picked up Storm Front and I'm excited to start my journey with Mr. Harry Dresden. Also, kudos to Jim Butcher, it's nice to read a fantasy author who doesn't take himself too seriously.
    Been reading this series the last couple of months. On book 4 now and I'm totally hooked. Gonna keep reading em til Red Country comes out in late October before I take a break.

Uh, Moderator
    I'm nearly 100 pages through 11.22.63 by Stephen King and really enjoying it so far. There's still a lot of book in front of me - hopssefully it doesn't bog down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    I'm nearly 100 pages through 11.22.63 by Stephen King and really enjoying it so far. There's still a lot of book in front of me - hopssefully it doesn't bog down.
    I found that to be his best book in at least a decade. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    It's a good read, and it reads quicker than an 800+ page book should. It's definitely King, but I'd go as far as to say it contains everything that makes King a great author.