Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Read interesting books
    I finished A World Apart by David M. Brown and I am of two minds of it - great storytelling to the end that kept me turning the pages, but the world building comes up unconvincing (those 20000 years of same are really hard to take as human history tends to move much faster), and the story itself is a a bit meh and pointless.

Overall the author has narrative pull but needs more interesting stories and a more convincing world building to get to the top level of today's fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    About 150 pages from the end of the first part of George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords.

I'm enjoying it still, I think, but I'm still not sure if I should take a break at some point.
    Finished.

Weakest so far, I think. Hm. Second half may be better.

Just finished the Riyria Revelations by Michael Sullivan.

Excellent!

The series had just about everything I enjoy in a good story, including a super ending. As far as sheer fun goes, the Riyria Revelations is the best epic fantasy I've read in several years.

Now I have to decide what to read next, which I often find to be something of a letdown after I've finished a book I really like.

Rather than try to capture the same magic in a different bottle, I think I'll go with something completely different. I've got a copy of Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy on the ol' bookshelf that's been staring at me for quite a while now...

Finished.

It definitely gets better imo.

Finished.

You might be the only person I've seen to say that about aSoS.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Finished.

It's generally considered the best book in the series, so I'd definitely recommend finishing the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    You might be the only person I've seen to say that about aSoS.
    I've only read half of it, Rob

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    started The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I expect the Cemetery of Forgotten Books will put in an appearance, but otherwise it will be low on the superantural elements.
    Last edited by algernoninc; September 3rd, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: mixed titles, again!

I'm reading Dawnthief by James Barclay at work, just getting into it, looks promising.
    And The wheel of time at home, up to book 2
    and Seven ancient wonders by Matthew Rielly as a filler. but this lot could be put on hold as ive just been bought The Crippled God.

I've only read half of it, Rob
    Oh that's right, they split the UK editions into two books, right?

After reading through recommendations on this site, I just downloaded to my kindle Blood Song (Raven's Shadow 1) by Anthony Ryan. It definitely grabbed me from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    Oh that's right, they split the UK editions into two books, right?
    Aside from a small number of editions, that's exactly what they did. Same has happened with A Dance With Dragons.

Just started Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns - wow impressive opening 2 chapters - has me hooked. You gotta love the Kindle, I downloaded PoT on my train commute home from work after finishing Leviathan Wakes - James S. A. Corey - very much looking forward to reading second in that series. But wanted a change in pace from Space Opera.

After finishing Prince of Thorns aim to go back and finish Jo Nesbo's The Devils Star and possibly start James Lee Burke's Rain Gods. Or maybe I'll kick back up on the Corey series and read the second book.

So a few lined up for this month on the Kindle.
    Last edited by Rhizy; September 4th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Just picked up Storm Front and I'm excited to start my journey with Mr. Harry Dresden. Also, kudos to Jim Butcher, it's nice to read a fantasy author who doesn't take himself too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    For the first time in a while, I'm starting a new book on the first of the month. In this case, the hardcover debut of an established author - Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines.
    Well, that was a fun book! Can't wait to read the next one. This is one everybody here should be reading.

Starting The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow* today, a steampunk, fantasy, mystery.

*That can't be her real name, can it? If it is her real name, that's pretty cool.