Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Uh, Moderator
    Yesterday I finished Bitter Seeds. I liked the concept, but some of the execution didn't hit for me. It felt hurried and light in a few places, and I never really felt much for any of the characters. I'm intrigued enough about the overall story arc (and by the sample chapter from the second book) that I'll continue with the trilogy.

Now onto Ready Player One. Two genre books in a row. Maybe I'm getting my mojo back!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Starting The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow* today, a steampunk, fantasy, mystery.
    Five chapters into and it did nothing for me, I couldn't connect with the story and everything seemed quite scattered.

I think its a larger issue of Steampunk in prose form not being my proverbial cup of tea.

Finished Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World last night and thought it was another accomplished novel from the author. I've also read 1Q84 and Kafka on the Shore, but of the three this is the weirdest and most ambiguous. That said, his subtle writing style and some of the interesting ideas made it a flowing and memorable read. Still thinking about parts of it now.

Onto a different type of book now, a Clash of Kings.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Well I finally started "Thirteen" by Kelley Armstrong. I have love the Women of the Underworld series basically from the start. Even though it has had its ups and downs, for the most part it has been a really good series. This is the final novel in the series and I am excited to see how she wraps it all up.

Just finished the 6th Harry Potter book. I thought that maybe for me it wouldn't live up to expectations because of all the hype surrounding it but it really is a good series. I've managed to not hear any spoilers about the books (I don't know how I did that) and the ending of this book was WOW! I also enjoyed reading more about Voldemort's back story. Looking forward to reading the 7th and final book.

Up next is Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent. No sparkly vampires here.

Pie are round not squared
    Just finished book 2 of the Mistborn trilogy and am about 50 pages into the third. So far it's an enjoyable series and a nice break from the 'heaviness' of the Malazan series (which I will continue after Mistborn).

If I were to complain about something in Mistborn, I would have to point out a few Deus ex moments. Not dealbreakers by any stretch although it feels like the author cheated a bit.

I picked up Susan Ee's Angelfall which is (I think) self-published and selling well on Amazon right now. I'm at the half-way point, and it's pretty good so far. It's YA, Post-Apocalyptic set in and around San Francisco. I think it would appeal to readers who liked The Hunger Games or even Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It's first person narrative, and the narrator has an engaging, snarky voice, but wisely not too preciously snarky.

Just finished "dawnthief" by James Barclay. Really enjoyed it, im going to read "the Crippled God" now before i find the other "Raven" books.

I finally finished King of Thorns. It took me a long time not because of the book itself, but just 'cause I haven't been doing much audio lately. I enjoyed it a lot, although it didn't have the shock value of the first one.

And I started Devil Said Bang, the new Sandman Slim. Having fun with it.

Picked up A Crown of Swords in my Wheel of Time re-read very nearly a year after I read book 6 Lord of Chaos. I've got some serious catching up to do if I want to read A Memory of Light when it publishes in January.

Starting book two of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders today, Mad Ship. I've been very impressed by each of the four books I've read by thus far, so I have high hopes for this one.

Started Stephen King's fourth in the series Wizard And Glass. Pace has picked up considerably, and I find the link between Roland's world and the "normal" world extremely chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    You might be the only person I've seen to say that about aSoS.
    It's the second half where the fun happens, and I quite liked a lot of what happened.

So, now that's finished, I've gone on to A Feast for Crows.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Currently reading The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams. Only a few chapters in but I like it. Not sure exactly what is going on but the premise is a little bit different at the start, which I like.

Bought a lot of books for National Book Day yesterday so going to do my best to get through them before the end of the year.

I finished Angelfall this morning. I thought it was decent as a first novel and shows promise as the first in a series, but could definitely use some polishing. The worldbuilding is vague and lacks clarity. I felt the internal logic needed work, too. The book is fairly short and certain elements felt like they could have used more development. It felt very much like a NaNoWriMo novel with some interesting ideas and vision but written fast and furiously. The narrator is a 17 year old girl and feels age appropriate so I can understand its appeal to its target audience. Older readers may find their mileage varies.