Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by murf99 View Post
    Gonna keep reading em til Red Country comes out in late October.
    October is going to be amazing. Abercrombie's book comes out, and a new Iain M Banks Culture novel. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Raule View Post
    Another for the wish list. That sounds good! I'll be curious to hear how it turns out for you.
    I'm a little over the half way point. I stayed up far too late last night reading it. I read until my eyes blurred so much that I couldn't even read it on the largest font available on my eReader. I passed out on the couch instead of going to bed. I found my eReader on the floor in the morning. That's how much this book has grabbed me. Honestly, I think it's fabulous. It's about a nurse during the Vietnam war, and with Scarborough's experience of being a nurse during the same war, it's really rooted in fact. The fantasy elements centre around an amulet given to the main character, Kitty, by an elderly and dying Vietnamese patient of hers. It's barely fantasy otherwise, but it is a fantastic read thus far.

At times I'm reminded of Catch 22, with some of the dialogue, but while it can be harsh and brutal, Kitty's point of view softens it a bit. The story really explores and showcases how war and horrible experience can cause racism. Through the amulet, Kitty can begin to understand the psychological ramifications of the G.I.'s experiences and how this racism begins.

Really enjoying this book. Highly recommend it.

Pie are round not squared
    Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Hero of Ages is definately a fun book that gives you plenty to think about between reading sessions. There were a couple of points where my between reading detective work paid off and I'd managed to guess the "surprise" though most of the time I was way off...but it was fun to try.

In the end, Everything was wrapped up fairly neatly and I can't say I have any complaints that would be worthy of mentioning. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the coming of age type stories.

I will certainly be picking up Alloy of Law in the future but it's time to get back to Malazan. So tomorrow I'll start Reaper's Gale.

Doing a bit of traveling so I've got a lot of reading time in the next couple weeks. I finished Storm Front on the plane Sunday and also made it about 100 pages into Old Man's War. I've already got the next Dresden Files book on e-loan on my Kindle so I may start that next....I'm really enjoying this dip back into the sci-fi pool after reading fantasy (epic and urban) exclusively for the past few months.

Ink-stained Wretch Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    I've started Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Just finished Age of Ra by James Lovegrove. I liked it, but I'm not at all sure how he is going to incorporate the later books that are in the same series. Guess I'll find out when I get to the next book.

For now, I'm moving over to KOP Killer by Warren Hammond. Actually started it last month, but then got sidetracked.

I recently finished two urban fantasies:

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey. The author's writing and humor are refreshing and he's brimming with ideas which turned into a fairly unique - if a bit convoluted - ghost tale based in London. It takes some time for optimum immersion to set in but the pay-off is rewarding. There were unfortunately far too many references which went completely over my un-british head.

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo. A vampire tale which isn't as silly as the title would imply. Felix Gomez, a war veteran and newly turned vampire who refuses to drink human blood, is hired to investigate the recent outbreaks of nymphomania in the top-secret government facility of Rocky Flats. Action and humor abound, there's plenty going in this short book and maybe the author went a bit overboard. The plot threads were rather frayed by the end and tied up awkwardly but the journey getting there was fun.

I'm about two thirds of the way through The Passage by Justin Cronin and I am really enjoying it. A very good vampire book, well written and has me gripped. Thoroughly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by pat5150 View Post
    Just finished Tad Williams' first foray into urban fantasy, The Dirty Streets of Heaven
    Then what was his The War of the Flower?

1/4 into The Affirmation by Christopher Priest.
    Odd one so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    Then what was his The War of the Flower?
    Portal/Crossover fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Portal/Crossover fantasy
    Ta
    As in cars. It was neither one nor another. Better stick to one

Just finished Thirteen Years Later by Jasper Kent, Book 2 in the Danilov Quintet. I'm really enjoying this historical (with vampires) series set in Russia in the 1800's. At one point I found myself feeling sorry for the vampires as a human (one of the best characters I've come across while reading fantasy) ended up being the bigger monster. I have the third book, The Third Section, and can't wait to get to it soon.

Continuing with the gritty; up next is Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey.

I finally got a review up for Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear - it's quite good. I still need to write up reviews for Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch and Dancing With Bears by Michael Swanwick. I'm currently reading Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff - I'm enjoying it so far, but it's I'm starting to have a few issues with it.

Just started The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks...great so far!