Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Thanks to a short discussion with Rob B last night, I started the first Serrano omnibus, The Serrano Legacy, by Elizabeth Moon.

Only got about 30-40 pages into the first novel but I liked it.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts. You like it better than PAKS, it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Looking forward to seeing more of your thoughts. You like it better than PAKS, it would seem.
    Eh. Truth be told I've not picked up Serrano since I started it, then again I've not given it much chance and I think I might put it off again.

I like the idea of a lot of Ms Moon's books, but I struggle a little with her writing at times and I tend to just wander off. Out of the 13 books of hers I have, I've finished 4. The problem with Paks for me was I found the first book vaguely interesting but so so so so so dry, and I felt Paks was a bit of a Mary Sue by the end of the first book. I do need to give it another go, but truth be told it's at the bottom of a long pile of books I need to try again.

Finally stared Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space and I can definitely see what all the fuss is about. I don't know if it's my favorite thing ever, it's pretty slow, but I'm amazed at everything that's gone into it with the factions of humanity and the technology he writes about, it's like this stuff could really happen.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    I'm finally reading Conflict of Honors. Liaden universe has been on my radar for ages but for some reason I haven't gotten to actually reading it before.

All in all, it's a pleasant read with a classic spaceship adventures feel of the 80s/90s. I wonder if it was the authors' debut as the writing seems somewhat choppy at times and significant elements of the plot are thrown in without any foreshadowing.

Blog Entries
    Just finished Wake by Robert J. Sawyer. This was one of the best books I've read all year. The story was upbeat and interesting, the characters were likeable (for the most part), particularly the main character, Caitlin.
    Also I liked the fact that the story taught me a thing or two about the Internet and about blindness. It was full of little nuggets of knowledge that I could pick up on without falling out of step with the very engaging storyline.
    This is the first time I've ever read anything by Sawyer but I'm already looking forward to the next books in the series. If his style of writing is anything like this I may be reading a lot more of his books going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Just finished Wake by Robert J. Sawyer. This was one of the best books I've read all year. The story was upbeat and interesting, the characters were likeable (for the most part), particularly the main character, Caitlin.
    Also I liked the fact that the story taught me a thing or two about the Internet and about blindness. It was full of little nuggets of knowledge that I could pick up on without falling out of step with the very engaging storyline.
    This is the first time I've ever read anything by Sawyer but I'm already looking forward to the next books in the series. If his style of writing is anything like this I may be reading a lot more of his books going forward!
    I quite enjoyed Wake too, but I thought Watch was better. This reminds me that I really need to read the final book, Wonder.

I finished up Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton (again) the other day. I've given up on counting how many times I've read it because it's so enjoyable.

I did try and listen to the audio book of Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds, but after half an hour of listening to the narrator I gave up. Definitely not one I'll listen to, and based on what I heard I'm not even sure I'll read it.

Currently plowing through Katya's World by Jonathan Howard, a new YA SF book coming from Strange Chemistry in november. I'm very much liking what I've read so far as it's so easy to lose an hour or two to the story and characters. It's also got to the point where some very interesting things will be happening, so looking forward to getting back to it.

Read interesting books
    Not that I do not have enough books to read, but I found another independent sf release that attracted me through topic and sample - Alarm of war by Kenned Hudner (3.99$ an Amazon e); another very Weberian novel and the promised beginning of a series (it even has planet Victoria here as the good guys and top of the roost so far, with Queen Beatrice as head of state, while the main bad guys are led by a Citizen director ) so I expect another fast and engaging read like Hegemony.

I have a few fantasies and a few mainstream books i want to read asap so we'll see the order, but this one sounds right for my mood now.

Just finished Behemoth Book 2 of the Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, a YA alternate history stempunk series set in WW1. I've enjoyed this series so far and like the concept of Clankers (machines) vs. Darwinists (nature). Lots of cool, mechanical animal-inspired machines and weird fabricated beasts. The illustrations are a nice added touch. Will definitely finish the series although I've heard bad things about the final book, Goliath.

It's dieselpunk - steampunk typically has a coal reliance.

And Goliath is really disappointing. Ugh.

I finished Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, the classic dystopian SF novel denouncing the dangers of institutionalized censorship. While I do acknowledge the laudable intentions behind F. 451, I didn't squeeze much juice out of it and came away disappointed and bored silly. I found the writing to be overpolished as the author liberally delivers strings of horribly affected metaphors, implausible dialogue and melodrama dressed in flowery prose. The characters were nothing but mouthpieces for ideas and don't exist beyond feeding the philosophical debate. It's dry as ashes (ha) and devoid of any feelings. So yes, a book with a message but I had to fight with the messenger along the lines to reach the conclusion.

Reading Bujold's Cetaganda while I wait for Banks' Hydrogen Sonata to arrive. After reading a few Miles stories I'm pretty hooked.

Currently wallowing in the drek that is Perry Rhodan 4 Invasion from Space. It's dreadful. I love it.

The Scourge by A. G. Henley

It's the first self-published book I've read. I'd always steered away from them, figuring if an author can't get a publisher, there must be a good reason. This one was a ways down on Amazon's fantasy list (around #160) but there were a lot of reviews, all positive. That's rare. So I downloaded a sample and was hooked. It's well-written, with some humor, and realistic dialogue.

It's YA, so there's sex (not explicit) but no poop.

Post-apocalypse (of course). There's been a plague. The society is agrarian. Groundlings live on the ground, Lofties live in trees. The Groundlings supply the Lofties with food and water and the Lofties act as lookouts and protect the Groundlings from the Scourge, humans who have become flesh-eaters. Groundlings and Lofties don't mix and their relationship is prickly. The main character is Fennel, a Sightless teenage girl. She's immune to attacks from the Scourge so her job is collecting water for both tribes.

It's simple but quite engaging, plot developments are surprising but logical, and Henley's explanations for things like Fennel's immunity make sense. There will be sequels. I'll be reading them.

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey. I think I read Leviathan's Wake when I was in the mood for some mindless popcorn entertainment. I was a lot less patient with the sequel. I reached the opinion these are competently written books, focused more on moving the plot along than exploring any interesting SF ideas. They certainly are being over praised in my opinion, and shouldn't be held up as the best the genre has to offer. I probably won't be reading past this point.

Quote Originally Posted by chitman13 View Post
    Currently plowing through Katya's World by Jonathan Howard, a new YA SF book coming from Strange Chemistry in november. I'm very much liking what I've read so far as it's so easy to lose an hour or two to the story and characters. It's also got to the point where some very interesting things will be happening, so looking forward to getting back to it.
    I've started this one today read through the prologue which has sucked me into the story.