Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chitman13 View Post

Re: The Quantum Thief. I didn't even finish it, and I can't see me ever picking up a book by Rajaniemi again based on what I read. I understand that many people thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and based on the sales figures I've seen it was a massive hit, but saying it's not for me is an understatement of epic proportions.

Anyway, still on Great North Road, only 1/4 left to go (which is about the size of an average novel).
    Interesting... from your past posts, I thought we have very similar tastes and I'm about 80% through Quantum Thief... and I think it's one of the most original stories to come across my plate in a while (granted I usually stick with space operas, or military Sci-Fi)... at first though I'm like what the hell is going on.. this is making no sense and is ridiculously jumbled... but now it's awesome! (i'm listening to the audiobook so i don't know if that has anything to do with it??!)

and definitely update us on great north road... I want to read that real bad!

Though I found a good deal interesting about The Quantum Thief, I too was underwhelmed and don't plan on reading the sequel.

I'm more than 1/2 way through Caliban's War and while I'm enjoying it quite a bit, some is a bit of retread from Leviathan Wakes.

Blue Remembered Earth

I just finished listening to the audio book of Alastair Reynolds Blue Remembered Earth. I was glad I listened to the audio book, because it was a bit slow in places. The characters were well developed, and the story interesting, but sometimes it seemed like he delved into more detail than was needed. At first I felt the end was a bit of a let down, however as I've thought about it more I think this was a really well thought out book with some interesting insights into human nature and potential.

Jeff

Paused about halfway through Clash of Kings for a scifi fix in the form of Barrington Bailey. Read The Pillars of Eternity which was quite good and similar to his previous book I read in that they both broached time travel, The Fall of Chronopolis.

Pillars started of well with the main character an augmented being, setting out to find the rare time-travel gems on an elusive planet that wanders in a thick star cluster. Towards the end though I felt it lost it's way a bit. Preferred The Fall of Chronopolis more, but I'm liking the author.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    It's about three weeks until Fire Season by David Weber & Jane Lindskold officially releases (not sure if it'll ship early or not), so I decided to take a break from Beardy Martin and go for a re-read of Weber's A Beautiful Friendship.
    Finished.

Enjoyed it more the second time, and it's about two weeks now until the sequel. Perfect timing, no?

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Finished.

Enjoyed it more the second time, and it's about two weeks now until the sequel. Perfect timing, no?
    if you are into ebooks you can buy Fire Seasons for 6$ drm free multiformat today and read it immediately...

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1687-fire-season.aspx

Back on topic hopefully tomorrow Hydrogen Sonata arrives, though I still have ongoing rereads of two recent epic historicals I greatly enjoyed (Winter World and Poseidon's Spear) and a few other books to read too - sfnally Uninvited by Liz Jensen is another one in addition to Fractal Prince...

Aye, I could, but I already have Fire Season pre-ordered in hardcover to go with my hardcover of A Beautiful Friendship

Chosen Asimov's Foundation for tonight's reading.

Just finished Weber's The Honor of the Queen. Very good entertainment. The last hundred or so pages were pretty riveting. Naval space battles galore. This is a series I'm excited to continue.

Just finished one of my favorite time travel novels , Time and Again by Jack Finney. It was as good as I remembered. It gets 5 out of 5 stars.

Read interesting books
    reviewed properly Mark Kalina's Hegemony - here is a link to the thread I created as the book is quite fun and promises a lot if more gets written

My highly awaited copy of IM Banks Hydrogen Sonata arrived so of course I do not plan to read anything else for a while...

Edit later: started Hydrogen sonata tonight and here is the first paragraph of the novel per se after a prologue chapter with talking ships (vintage IM Banks and awesome):

"At sunset above the plains of Kwaalon, on a dark high terrace balanced on a glittering black swirl of architecture forming a relatively microscopic part of the equatorial Girdlecity of Xown, Vyr Cossont - Lieutenant Commander (reserve) Vyr Cossont to give her full title - sat, performing part of T.C. Vilabier's 26th String-Specific Sonata For An Instrument Yet To Be Invented, catalog number MW1211, on one of the few surviving examples of the instrument developed specifically to play the piece, the notorious difficult, temperamental and tonally challenged Antagonistic Undecagonstring - or elevenstring, as it was commonly known.
    T.C. Vilabier's 26th String-Specific Sonata For An Instrument Yet To Be Invented, MW1211, was more usually known as "The Hydrogen Sonata".
    Last edited by suciul; September 18th, 2012 at 09:55 PM.

I am rereading Illium by Dan Simmons. I read both a couple of years ago and never could decide if I liked them or not. I'm wondering if it will be the same again.

Seems like I am reading more out of habit now rather than because I really found something interesting. My last couple of trips to the book store (admittedly over almost a long 6 month span) resulted it me walking out with nothing. Not sure what is up with me, but the trend is not promising.

I finished Great North Road by Peter F Hamilton last night. I'll admit that I'm a big Hamilton fan, but this didn't hit the mark quite like I wanted. It's good, don't get me wrong, and is done in typical Hamilton style - great world-building, large cast of characters, interesting plot - though I felt it was a little too long. I'm still gathering my thoughts on it ready to write up my review, but after spending the last 6 books in the Commonwealth universe (and enjoying them immensely) it's a massive change.

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    My highly awaited copy of IM Banks Hydrogen Sonata arrived so of course I do not plan to read anything else for a while...

Edit later: started Hydrogen sonata tonight and here is the first paragraph of the novel per se after a prologue chapter with talking ships (vintage IM Banks and awesome):

"At sunset above the plains of Kwaalon, on a dark high terrace balanced on a glittering black swirl of architecture forming a relatively microscopic part of the equatorial Girdlecity of Xown, Vyr Cossont - Lieutenant Commander (reserve) Vyr Cossont to give her full title - sat, performing part of T.C. Vilabier's 26th String-Specific Sonata For An Instrument Yet To Be Invented, catalog number MW1211, on one of the few surviving examples of the instrument developed specifically to play the piece, the notorious difficult, temperamental and tonally challenged Antagonistic Undecagonstring - or elevenstring, as it was commonly known.
    T.C. Vilabier's 26th String-Specific Sonata For An Instrument Yet To Be Invented, MW1211, was more usually known as "The Hydrogen Sonata".
    I hope the teacher doesn't call me up to the blackboard right now...

I finished an oldie, City by Clifford D. Simak. Quite a pessimistic view of mankind as seen from the '40s. It's a bit dated in some respects, but on the whole it's a pretty interesting read.

Now reading And Blue Skies from Pain by Stina Leicht.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    reviewed properly Mark Kalina's Hegemony - here is a link to the thread I created as the book is quite fun and promises a lot if more gets written

I got a feeling you'll love the new Banks, Liviu.