Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The deadline is today?!?! NoooOoooOOOOOOOooooo! I still have two scenes to write!
    Gently requesting a new deadline?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caedus View Post
    ^^ ... are you sure about that? Didn't you say that you had 10k words done already. Even though it's an excerpt we'd love to see it.
    Like Slynt, I tend to try and cram a novel's worth of ideas into a short story. I usually go well over my word limit, then spend a lot of time trimming the fat to give the story better pacing. At last check my word count just over 10,000, with a lot of scenes still to be worked out. I probably would have written another 2000 words to fill the gaps and then tediously cut away where I could to fit in within the word budget. I probably would have needed to make some compromises that I'm not really willing to do just to make the story fit.

Would anybody be opposed to me re-submitting a story that I wrote two years ago? I just recently re-read it, and I'd be curious to see what other people think of it. I don't think many people read it the first time around. It's a little rough around the edges(I've learned a thing or two since then) but it's tailor made for this theme.

I really want to finish this, but I am stuck at work all day (and night, actually). Got a scene done during lunch break, but still need to write the climax. Lol. Oh well. Not meeting deadlines is a lesson learned, as well!

edit: I'm not opposed ,norm

Blog Entries
    Alright, I made up my mind. I think it's kind of lame to do this, but I resubmitted an old story of mine:

The Ruuvian Text

I re-read this the other day, after having forgotten about it for maybe a year. I was baffled. Fundamentally the story is flawed (I didn't know what I was doing back then. Probably still don't.) And there are mistakes that I probably wouldn't make nowadays. But I feel like this story achieves things I have a difficulty doing even now. The story is intricate, yet very easy to understand. The pacing is good. Not great, but good. It baffles me mainly because I probably hadn't read half a dozen books in my life prior to writing this, and I'd only written two shorts prior to this (excluding a story I wrote in high school.) I've read plenty of books since writing this, and they've all had massive influence on the way I write, whether I've intended them to or not.

This make me wonder if I would have been better off spending my reading time these past two years on writing instead, just working on form and not letting other writers influence my way of storytelling. Though the quality of the writing in this entry is shoddy at best, I can't help but feel like my imagination has dulled since then. Then again who knows, maybe I'll re-read some of my recent stuff a year from now and my opinion will change. I guess only time will tell.

I began adding my story, then realized it was an earlier draft. Now I have just two "placeholder" marks there. I have to go to a meeting now, but will try and put up the correct version as soon as possible. It is an unevenly paced story to be sure (the end is horribly rushed I know) but I still feel like putting it out there so I can get some feedback on it, as I was pleased with certain parts of it.

All right, I'm definitely late for the meeting, lol. Here is my story. I am mostly interested in feedback re: characters, setting, dialogue (I realize what most of its troubles are, but feel free to comment on anything of course).

A Company in Red: A Tale from the Empyrean Chronicles

Some of the stuff in here is based on one of my RPG worlds, hence I added a little "copyright" notice in this one as I intend to use some of it later

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Gemmell View Post
    Cool.I have started ...my skeleton has awoken after a long 'sleep' ...
    Sadly, I did not finish ...

I'll do my best to vote though.