Skeeman49

terrific fantasy novel + lousy memory = frustration

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with something. About a year ago, I picked up the first book of what I believe is a trilogy. I found it by random in our city library - just poking around one day. After I finished it, I made the mistake of not entering it in my very casual book journal before returning the book to the library. I enjoyed it so much that I was sure I'd remember the name of the book, the author and the series . . . but I can't. The book opens in what is apparently a monastery for a highly disciplined religious sect in a time period that seems evocative of the Middle Ages. The brothers raise male orphans in an oppressive, almost sadistic environment, training them for a great crusade to come, in which they will overturn the corrupt secular world and impose their extreme theology. The hero, a young man in perhaps his mid-teens, harbors secret rebellion in his heart and bridles against the harsh conditions. Although he is not aware of it, the brothers recognize he has a special gift for mayhem, and they have long-term plans for his special gifts. While sneaking around the monastery with friends, he discovers several brothers "frolicking" with beautiful young women. Women, of course, are strictly forbidden. (Most of the acolytes have never even seen an attractive girl.) Later, when being called to answer for a small infraction, the young man comes upon the chief inquisitor in his chambers. He has murdered and dissected one of the young women and is about to kill a second one. The young man kills the inquisitor and rescues the surviving girl. He sets off into the world, ultimately coming into contact with the secular world - with the brotherhood hot on his heels. And so on . . . I'm not doing the book justice. It's quite gripping almost from the start and has many surprising turns.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I'd be grateful if you could put a name to it for me! I reached out to the nethspace blog, but no one there seemed to know it either.

Read interesting books
    Paul Hoffman Left Hand of God

Skeeman49

Memory refreshed

Yes, that was it. Thanks for your help. I also found and have since read the second book in the trilogy - The Last Four Things. Very solid writing . . .