Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engine Summer is being reprinted in January 2013 as part of the Science Fiction Masterworks series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Summe...7196999&sr=1-1

Unreasonable reasoner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitmouse View Post

Engine Summer
    is published as part of a 3 novel compendium called Otherwise. Available on Amazon etc.
    Excellent, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    There was an old book by Andre Norton, called 'Daybreak: 2250 AD' which was written in the early 1950's. It takes place in and around the ruins of New York City if I recall correctly. I bet it is kind of data, but then again Ms. Norton was never much on detailed science so maybe not.
    Over the weekend I pulled this book off my shelf because it looked old. I'd not looked at it in decades. Sure enough it is a first edition, 1952. I then found another one by her from 1954, 'The Stars Are Ours' also a first edition.

Wool

another vote for the Wool series.

Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    There was an old book by Andre Norton, called 'Daybreak: 2250 AD' which was written in the early 1950's. It takes place in and around the ruins of New York City if I recall correctly. I bet it is kind of data, but then again Ms. Norton was never much on detailed science so maybe not.
    Yeah, I read that under the name Star Man's Son, probably in grade school. Norton had nice stories, at least that is what I thought back then, but later on she seemed kind of shallow. So it is like stories should have ratings relative to the age of the reader also.

http://randall120.wordpress.com/2008...-andre-norton/

It is especially interesting considering it is from 1952.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; September 26th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omphalos View Post
    Leigh Brackett's The Long Tomorrow
    I am reading this now and nearly finished.

This is one of those stories that time forgot. I am pretty I read this in grade school and remember a scene near the end that I have not gotten to yet. I reread A Canticle for Liebowithz a few months ago and I think this is better. I don't know so well what I thought is grade school but I think both of these stories sank into my subconscious back then. I think they affected me in the 60s like The Day After affected lots of people in the 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

I kind of regarded that movie as old news.

I found the picture from the cover of my original book.

This story is more interesting in that it has an aspect about the psychology of children. Miller's book seems to get a lot more mention than Brackett's. I don't think we push books enough for the ideas and perspectives they contain.

psik

I downloaded a sample chapter of Robert Charles Wilson's "Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd Century America" which might fit the description of what you are looking for, but may not be far enough into the future for what you are looking for - The level of technology mirrors that of around late 19th century but there are references to a time called the "Efflorescence of Oil and False Tribulation" which apparently our current era - The book takes place in 2317 or something like that. I have to get the full version when I'm next able.

I read many years ago a series by Patrick Tilley called The Amtrak Wars, can't remember much about it other than it took place around 1000years after a cataclysmic event. Can't expand much on it but i do remember enjoying it

John Wyndham - The Chrysalids

Set in the distant future after an apocalyptic event (war), with people barely aware of human history as a long-past and mysterious world. The remaining population have rebuilt their own societies, culture and mixed up religions in close-knit groups, shunning mutations and ekeing out an existence.

Excellent story!