Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Author and Game Designer Taramoc's Avatar

Angry Robot - anybody else?

Hi all,
    As a short break on my ongoing battle against my novel's query letter, I just submitted my novel for the Angry Robot open door 2012 (luckily they don't require one, just a synopsis) and I was curious if anybody else in the forum did.

Taramoc

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have not submitted anything, but I'm considering it for next year. Of course, that's what I said last year, so who knows.

Good luck, Taramoc.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    When I first learned about the open door a couple months ago I was going to pass it up and wait for next year as I did not think I could have my manuscript ready in time. Then I finished it yesterday. (yay!) And then, about an hour ago, I discovered that I had not edited the second chapter after having it critiqued.

I may still be able to, if I can get this edit done in time...

And a 2-3 page synopsis. Maybe I can work on that one while at work this week?

If they have this again next year I'm definitely going to submit something. Hopefully I should have it ready by then...

I found out about it too late, hopefully next year!

Blog Entries
    Do they take YA distopian and SF? I was going to submit to their Strange Chemistry imprint. Hmm...now I'm wondering if THAT is the YA imprint. In any event, I'll have to contact my agent first to see if she''s sent something their way so I don't cause a head-on collision.

chris

Last year they accepted EVERYTHING (as long as it was some type of SFF), but this year only classic fantasy, so I'd say no to dystopian YA or SF. They do provide a link to Strange Chemistry in case you want to submit there, but I suspect it's not part of the Open Doors month.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
    Do they take YA distopian and SF? I was going to submit to their Strange Chemistry imprint. Hmm...now I'm wondering if THAT is the YA imprint. In any event, I'll have to contact my agent first to see if she''s sent something their way so I don't cause a head-on collision.

chris
    Yes, actually, they are. For YA submissions, go here.

They have one site for their for their adult imprint and another for their YA imprint. And, yeah, Strange Chemistry (YA imprint) is part of the Open Door Month. Actually, the pages are all but identical and have almost the same rules. (At least, they did when I first looked at them and that was a few months back. Maybe things have changed? Not sure, I was just getting the link.)
    Last edited by RedMage; April 27th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    There is an Angry Robot podcast up on their blog at the moment, it mentions a few things about the early submissions.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2012/04/a...ot-podcast-16/

What do you mean Batman Fanfic is not classic fantasy! It doesn't come more classic than Batman as characters go, and it's definitively fantastic. Last time I checked there are no green haired, white faced monsters killing people in the real world.

Just kidding... Thanks for the link, Holbrook. And thanks for the Good Luck, tmso. I'll post when I get some kind of reply from them.

Taramoc

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    There is an Angry Robot podcast up on their blog at the moment, it mentions a few things about the early submissions.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2012/04/a...ot-podcast-16/
    Thanks for this. It was enlightening to hear they've already begun sending rejections (if only for Batman fanfic) and that AR only got 50 subs the first day. It makes it sound like it might not take a year to get a response. Sweet.

Blog Entries
    Uhg. I'll let my agent sort it out. The sub box requires that you do not check the agent box in the affirmative--this period may be for un-agented subs only, and that an agent must avoid that box, or go around it somehow. She'll know what to do.

chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
    Uhg. I'll let my agent sort it out. The sub box requires that you do not check the agent box in the affirmative--this period may be for un-agented subs only, and that an agent must avoid that box, or go around it somehow. She'll know what to do.

chris
    I think the open door is for unagented writers only. Angry Robot is I believe still open in the normal manner for agents with regards to Epic Fantasy.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for clearing that up.

chris

Just got today my rejection from Angry Robot. Not unexpected, I have to say, since my word total was way above their suggested guidelines. I'm a bit surprised that it took them almost five months, though.

What left me more baffled is these two lines at the bottom of the email:

"Coming soon: Professional editing services from Angry Robot. Register your interest here: *link to their website*"

What should I read into this blatant advertisement? Does it undermine Angry Robot's credibility as a publisher? Are they just trying to make a few more bucks (and there's nothing wrong with it)?

I know they published a few novels using the Open Door policy last year, so I'm pretty sure it's not just a scam to get new authors to sign up (also, they would have the service ready to go if it was the case), but it did make me bulk a bit.

Taramoc