Blue skin for special powers?

I'm trying to remember a sci-fi book I read when I was very young. I can remember only a few details: the protagonists lived in a middle-ages-ish level of technology, but there were starships in orbit. The most distinctive feature I remember is that there were some kind of symbionts which gave special powers of healing and longevity - something you "installed" by cutting your skin and placing them in the wound, and then they grew all over? They became your skin, I think. It's possible that they could be passed on - removed from one person and given to another. There may also have been a female character named Fava - but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any idea?

Here's hoping it's a good book - it's been stuck in the corner of my brain for about twenty years.

This is probably too obvious to be the answer but the story kind of fits "Children of Dune". I'll try to talk around plot and just give general descriptions: there is a species of animal that lives on the planet and if the larval form merges with a character they give the person superhuman strength, armored skin and (near?) immortality. I don't want to spoil the story further so I'll just say that if I recall correctly there is a reference to blue coloration on one character's skin in the sequel "God Emperor of Dune". There is a character named "Farad'n" which is kind of like "Fava". And the Dune universe is often an interesting mixture of classic royal accommodations and new technology due to a slight jihad problem.