Thread: N K Jemisin

N K Jemisin

I just finished reading N K Jemisin's third Kingdoms novel, The Kingdom of Gods, and I have to say the book blew me away. The first two were fantastic, but this one was amazing right from the start, and only got more incredible as it approached the series finale.

And above and beyond the excellent writing, exciting plot and genuine emotional resonance, Jemisin pulled off a neat authorial trick I cannot recall having seen before. She foreshadowed an event such that I was able to gather the clues and figure it out. Then convinced me I was wrong, which depressed me. Then sucker-punched me in the gut when I found out I was right after all. Sneaky, sneaky woman.

The series has a certain tone that I think some would consider the hallmark of a female author, namely a more emotional, less physical interpretation of love, but it veers more toward the spiritual than "romance novel-esque" silliness. For me it was a refreshing positive, and it worked well with the fact that many of her characters are gods and therefore the physical is more...mutable...than in most stories.

Speaking of gods, it's always a tricky thing to use them as characters. Combining the power over reality we expect when using the term, with vulnerabilities that can make them relatable to human readers is tough, with many authors making them either too alien or too human.

Jemisin does a fantastic job of creating gods that are both more powerful than we can imagine, and yet at the same time as vulnerable as any of us, and I appreciated that immensely. I've always loved stories about divinities.

Regarding The Kingdom of the Gods itself:
    Spoiler:
    There were so many great things about the novel, it's hard to find a place to begin, but I think almost all of it is founded on the characterization of Sieh. His longing, the fact he can't forgive Itempas, the fact that he's blind to his own weaknesses and sometimes cruel, makes him such an amazing character. It was fascinating to see him vacillate between his child-persona and his godlike viewpoint, and recognize the ways he does and doesn't understand himself.

The parallels between Naha, Tempa, and Yeine with Sieh, Shahar, and Deka were apparent fairly early-on, and if one didn't pick up on it right away, the second time they exhibited power over reality to heal Sieh it seemed downright obvious. But somehow Jemisin managed to convince me it wasn't meant to be, first as Sieh continued to grow closer and closer to death, and then when he does die, killing Kahl in what was to me a complete blindside (how could I forget the dagger Tempa had given him, when he offered his life for Sieh's forgiveness?)

Silly me, forgetting how meaningless the concept of death is for a god, and that the book kept telling me that despite his mortality, Sieh was still a god. At the very end, I couldn't stop smiling.

What an amazing ride. I have her next 2 books on my Nook right now, and it's going to be hard not to read them immediately, even though I need to save them for a trip I'm taking in a month or two.

I refuse to read the spoiler box because I haven't gotten that far in the series yet. I'm sort of more interested in her new series now, though. Have you read that one?

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    I refuse to read the spoiler box because I haven't gotten that far in the series yet. I'm sort of more interested in her new series now, though. Have you read that one?
    I haven't yet. I'm going to be confined to bed for a couple months in a few weeks, so I'm saving them to help occupy me during that time. I've already downloaded both of them to my Nook though, and am eager to crack into them. Her debut series was so strong she's earned my trust.

Once I do start in on her new series I'll be sure to come here to discuss it.

The new series is top-notch. Jemisin continues to impress me with her plotting, characterization, and world-building.

Is Jemisin's second series a continuation from her first? Like Kat said, her new series sounds more interesting to me and I'd like to start with it, but I'd hate to be missing anything important from her earlier books or have previous plots spoiled by starting with a follow-on series. Thanks.

I quite enjoyed the first work in the series--but haven't read the second or third. You've piqued my interest!

I refuse to read the spoiler box because I haven't gotten that far in the series yet. I'm sort of more interested in price her new series now, though. Have you read that one?

I can't burn the series by reading the spoilers.. I will save them to later..
    thanks for hiding them
    Last edited by rawan33; September 9th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Is Jemisin's second series a continuation from her first? Like Kat said, her new series sounds more interesting to me and I'd like to start with it, but I'd hate to be missing anything important from her earlier books or have previous plots spoiled by starting with a follow-on series. Thanks.
    From what I can gather from reading the blurb on B&N.com, they are not connected. It would appear to be an entirely different world, and not feature divinities the way the first series does. However as I haven't actually read the second series yet, I can't be 100% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pendragon View Post
    From what I can gather from reading the blurb on B&N.com, they are not connected. It would appear to be an entirely different world, and not feature divinities the way the first series does. However as I haven't actually read the second series yet, I can't be 100% certain.
    Yep, it's a completely new story and setting.