Thread: Resident Evil

Published Novelist

Resident Evil

What do people think of the Resident Evil film series?

i hate them. they are nothing like the games. its an action film series thats badly done and has zombies. now the games since resident evil 4 and 5 have gone the action route a bit but the atmosphere in those games is amazing. the movies cant reproduce settings like resident evil 4 or 5. you dont really get the gritty survival story that the games portray.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just watched the latest movie RE:Back For More Buck 3D. It was awful and full of plot holes and repeatitive action sequences.

Registered User Quark Cognition's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth2 View Post
    What do people think of the Resident Evil film series?

The video games are vastly superior. Avoid the movies and play the games, especially Resident Evil 4.

The problem with the movies is they're action oriented and do not adequately show "survival horror". The intimate subjective nature of survival horror must be experienced by playing the video games; it cannot be translated into a movie experience, since watching a movie is passive, while playing a video game is active.

Find some repeated action again and again is mostly responsible to for negative ranking of this series. This part may be ask as the okay not the best at all.

The main problems with these films are that they bare virtually no resmblance to the games. When we do meet actual characters from the games in the films, they are generally crow-barred into the stories purely so the film makers can say, "There you go gamers; Jill Valentine, Chris and Claire Redfield and Carlos!!! Happy now!!". Their addition to the films add nothing more.
    Also there is very little sense of dread from the zombie/mutant threat as Alice (cue Roy "Chubby" Brown song) dispatches them without breaking a sweat/nail/hair etc.
    There seems no logic or real plot behind the films anymore other than to get a super-powered (is there any other variety?) Ms Jovovich running about in a skimpy outfit, killing stuff with impunity.

Searching for Tanelorn Val_1999's Avatar
    1. Toronto, Canada; 2. Lagos, Portugal; 3. Brest, France
    Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    The main problems with these films are that they bare virtually no resmblance to the games. When we do meet actual characters from the games in the films, they are generally crow-barred into the stories purely so the film makers can say, "There you go gamers; Jill Valentine, Chris and Claire Redfield and Carlos!!! Happy now!!". Their addition to the films add nothing more.
    Also there is very little sense of dread from the zombie/mutant threat as Alice (cue Roy "Chubby" Brown song) dispatches them without breaking a sweat/nail/hair etc.
    There seems no logic or real plot behind the films anymore other than to get a super-powered (is there any other variety?) Ms Jovovich running about in a skimpy outfit, killing stuff with impunity.
    Seems to be a huge money grab, nothing more. As mentioned above the movie(s) are simply Mila running around encountering various over the top ugly creatures, she blasts them during some CGI heavy scene, moves on. Why they even bother with the umbrella backstory is beyond me, they dont resemble the creepy excellent video games in the least.

At some point someone thought "hmm cheap CGI + hot babe blasting baddies = $$$$" and kept turning out sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    ...There seems no logic or real plot behind the films anymore other than ....Ms Jovovich running about in a skimpy outfit...
    And that's bad, how?

The plots are not good. They're confusing. There's no emotional attachment to the character(s).
    And I've watched all of them twice, except the newest... (I did not, however, pay money outside of my satellite bill).

And apparently a lot of people also continue to pay money to see them. I'm sure, on some level, it's to find out if this movie is the final movie.

I love the first movie (I never played the games, so have no a bias in that regard). It's very hack 'n slash, but also fun. Unfortunately, it's all down hill from there!

Searching for Tanelorn Val_1999's Avatar
    1. Toronto, Canada; 2. Lagos, Portugal; 3. Brest, France
    The games are fantastic, every one right back to the 1st playstation one that had "loading" boards and that secret room i never got to enter, GRRR!!!!!

I love the movies. I've never really played the games, though, except for maybe Resident Evil 3 for a few hours when I rented it once, many years ago. Maybe the fact that I've never really played the games is what makes the difference. I've only seen the first three movies, though. The third was my favorite, mainly because it felt kind of refreshing for a zombie movie to take place predominantly outside, in the daylight, in the desert no less.