View Poll Results: Is Abraham in your top 5?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 29.41%
  • No

12 70.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Price Check: Who's got Daniel Abraham in their top 5?

I am blown away that this guy is not listed in more recomendation and top X list threads.

His name comes up from time to time, but he should easily be in with GRRM, Bakker and other newschool monsters like Lynch, Joe A, Rothfuss etc.

I cannot be alone in this sentiment I am sure. Do I just suck at discovering awesome people? Is this guy under the radar to a certain degree compared to other mainstreamers?

Analyze That
    Daniel Abraham is firmly within my Top 5.

I'd even go so far to say he's somewhere within my Top 3. And he is sneaky prolific, actually even more so than the higher profile Brandon Sanderson.

Yeah, after reading his Long Price Quartet last month, he has definitely moved up in my estimation. Top 5? Close, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, after reading his Long Price Quartet last month, he has definitely moved up in my estimation. Top 5? Close, but not sure.
    have you read dragons path yet?

I don't see Abraham as a heavyweight. I've fairly devoured the first two Dagger and Coin books, and his two Expanse books. I'll definitely read the rest of both series when they come out. I own, but haven't yet read, the first two Long Price Quartet books (Rob's recent raving bumped them up in my massive TBR). The books I've read of his thus far have been very enjoyable, fast reads, but I tend to forget them after I read them. I don't think they engage me at a much deeper level than 'fun entertainment.'

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    I don't see Abraham as a heavyweight. I've fairly devoured the first two Dagger and Coin books, and his two Expanse books. I'll definitely read the rest of both series when they come out. I own, but haven't yet read, the first two Long Price Quartet books (Rob's recent raving bumped them up in my massive TBR). The books I've read of his thus far have been very enjoyable, fast reads, but I tend to forget them after I read them. I don't think they engage me at a much deeper level than 'fun entertainment.'
    makes sense. Are you more in favour of "literary" style prose ie GGK or Mieville and those cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Andols View Post
    makes sense. Are you more in favour of "literary" style prose ie GGK or Mieville and those cats?
    GGK is probably my favorite writer .

Mieville doesn't appeal too much to me, though I have very little to base that opinion on.

have you read dragons path yet?
    Yes, and I enjoyed it a great deal -- one of my favorite books from last year (2011). I haven't read (but own) The King's Blood.
    GGK is probably my favorite writer .
    Was my comparison between GGK and TLPQ what bumped the books for you?

GGK is probably my favorite writer
    Now that makes sense to me. GGK has such a heavy prose style (at least to me) I could totally see why Abraham would seem so light in comparison.

Yes, and I enjoyed it a great deal -- one of my favorite books from last year (2011). I haven't read (but own) The King's Blood.
    So whats holding him back from your top 5?

So whats holding him back from your top 5?
    Matthew Stover
    George R.R. Martin
    Neil Gaiman
    Tad Williams
    Stephen King
    Gene Wolfe
    Michael Moorcock
    Robert Jordan
    John Scalzi
    Jim Butcher

Plus, the books are too recent in my memory to stack them up against other writers.

If you rephrase the question as "Favorite SFF writer to emerge in the 21st Century?" then Abraham would clearly be in the top five.

Analyze That
    For me, it is the consistency of his books that is incredible. I'm not sure he has a book that would be in my Top 5 or Top 10 overall, but the fact that every book is fantastic is impressive to me. Most writers have off books now and then, I've yet to see Abraham at anything less than the top of his game.

That also may be why he is a bit underated, because consistency isn't quite as flashy as coming up with a spectacular book that just blows you away every now and then. So while many of the writers Rob mentioned have written better books, the ones I've read have let me down on occasions too, something that is yet to happen with Mr. Abraham. (But I haven't read his MLN Hanover books, so that may be them.)

Matthew Stover
    George R.R. Martin
    Neil Gaiman
    Tad Williams
    Stephen King
    Gene Wolfe
    Michael Moorcock
    Robert Jordan
    John Scalzi
    Jim Butcher

Plus, the books are too recent in my memory to stack them up against other writers.

If you rephrase the question as "Favorite SFF writer to emerge in the 21st Century?" then Abraham would clearly be in the top five.
    Im talking Fantasy only so scalzi wouldnt make the cut. So if we were talking fantasy writers still currently writing he would be close? That's more what I meant anyway.

Since the list is a rotating door, in all honesty, then he would likely get to the top five in some cases/days.

That said, I haven't read the M.L.N. Hanover novels he's written yet, nor the collaboration he did with Martin/Dozois to to give him a full reckoning.

I think the writing is very good but the plotting of Leviathan Wakes and the 2 Dragon's path books (er, I think I read two, blanking) wasnt as strong. There was enough action, and the pace was good but I just found parts of the plots to be a little on the silly or contrived side. Vomit zombies in LW, and the whole "you burned everyone alive, your a hero!" plot point being examples. I cant stay entirely "in book" when I read stuff of this sort, which tends to be a requirement for me to remember something as an all time fav.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B;69628/
    Was my comparison between GGK and TLPQ what bumped the books for you?
    Mostly your general excitement over the books. Excitement is catchy.