View Poll Results: Is Abraham in your top 5?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 29.41%
  • No

12 70.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Conversely, I am "blown away" that he comes up as much as he does.

I tried the first book in the Long Price Quartet and was extremely disappointed by the shallow and insubstantial characterization. I was quite unimpressed with his prose as well.

The basic plot and the world-building were interesting enough, and I honestly was hoping to enjoy the book, but I came away deeply disappointed with the final product.

Based on this, Abraham absolutely makes my worst/bottom 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Andols View Post
    I am blown away that this guy is not listed in more recomendation and top X list threads.
    I think there's momentum building. I hang out in a couple places that aren't specifically about SFF books, but end up having quite a few sff-book-recommendation threads. When I first picked up Dragon's Path last year, the Long Price Quartet had gone completely under my radar and I'd almost never seen him mentioned outside of boards like this one.

In the last six months, pretty much every single rec thread on those other sites has included a mention of the LPQ. If I hadn't already discovered the series retro-actively, I'd definitely be sitting up and taking notice now.

I voted yes, but with the caveat that it's just for Long Price Quartet. I struggled with the urban fantasy series before dropping it. Expanse and Dagger and Coin have been good, but haven't grabbed me as deeply yet. I'll see how I feel when both are finished.

Analyze That
    Should the MLN Hanover and James SA Corey novels be included in this? I think the whole reason Abraham adopted such open pseudonyms was to set up certain expectations from each named author. So while I don't find the Corey novels to be quite as brilliant as the Abraham novels, that is because he is trying something completely different and not so in tune to being in my best ever list, even though he is perfectly competent at it.

And really, I don't even have much of an interest in trying the Hanover novels, because the subject matter doesn't really appeal to me. Once again, I believe it's probably competently done, I just wouldn't find anything top 5 author worthy inside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
    Should the MLN Hanover and James SA Corey novels be included in this? I think the whole reason Abraham adopted such open pseudonyms was to set up certain expectations from each named author. So while I don't find the Corey novels to be quite as brilliant as the Abraham novels, that is because he is trying something completely different and not so in tune to being in my best ever list, even though he is perfectly competent at it.

And really, I don't even have much of an interest in trying the Hanover novels, because the subject matter doesn't really appeal to me. Once again, I believe it's probably competently done, I just wouldn't find anything top 5 author worthy inside of it.
    I wouldnt include the expanse novels due to not knowing how much is being contributed by each author. the world itself was mostly done by mr frank i believe, but who knows for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Andols View Post
    I wouldnt include the expanse novels due to not knowing how much is being contributed by each author. the world itself was mostly done by mr frank i believe, but who knows for the rest.
    Well, they've both written half of each book. Ty, as you already pointed out, added more of the world-building and science, and I think Daniel did more with politics and characters. I could be wrong though.