Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1

    Shannara TV Show?

    Terry Brook's Shannara Heads to TV

    I couldn't find that anyone had posted this yet....It may be old news, but first I'm hearing of it.

    http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/09/11...ra-heads-to-tv

    Sonar Entertainment, in collaboration with Farah Films, is now developing a television show based on Terry Brooks' bestselling fantasy novel series Shannara.
    Set hundreds of years after the fall of our own civilization, the story centers on the Shannara family, whose magical powers perpetually reshape the future of the world. According to Variety, the first season of the show will follow the events of The Elfstones of Shannara, the second book in the series.

  2. #2
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Yay! I believe his Landover books are also getting the movie treatment, which is good.

  3. #3
    Hell! Ochos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    80
    i hope its more "game of thrones" adaptation, than a "sword of truth"

  4. #4
    It's good yet bad. Good that another fantasy series is getting a shot at another media outlet. But bad that....WHY Shanarah? Isn't it just a LOTR ripoff. Not like the standard books that followed, but I mean a complete 1-1 ripoff. I've not read it, but I've heard the characters are almost the same and the sword is the ring..etc.

    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~melmoth/comp.htm

    Whatever, better than no fantasy books becoming TV shows!

  5. #5
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,908
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    It's good yet bad. Good that another fantasy series is getting a shot at another media outlet. But bad that....WHY Shanarah? Isn't it just a LOTR ripoff. Not like the standard books that followed, but I mean a complete 1-1 ripoff. I've not read it, but I've heard the characters are almost the same and the sword is the ring..etc.

    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~melmoth/comp.htm

    Whatever, better than no fantasy books becoming TV shows!
    Because (1) it is enormously successful, (2) has legions of fans, and (3) a wealth of novels/story stuff from which to draw.

  6. #6
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    And isn't Sword of Shannara supposed to be the "real" LotR rip-off? I don't think that applies as much to the successive books.

    But as Rob said, there's some good reasons to do Shannara. I'd go one more and say it's a safe property to play with.

  7. #7
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,908
    The first book is an admitted homage to LOTR, to be kind. That having been said, I enjoyed reading The Scions of Shannara quite a bit.

  8. #8
    I'll check this out since I read all of his books when I was younger and really enjoyed them. It will interesting to see how they hold up now that many years have past since I read the Shannara books.
    Last edited by Heather Myst; September 13th, 2014 at 08:25 AM.

  9. #9
    I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    587
    I have always liked Terry's books, in fact I am on my waiting list at the library for the new one. So I would love to see a series made of the Shannara world. As long as they don't give it the same treatment they did to the Sword of Truth series. One of the worst shows I ever saw. I think we have Game of Thrones to thank for the fact that producers are realizing there is a market out there for fantasy lovers. As long as they do it well. But we all know that will come down to money, so here's praying.

  10. #10
    Interesting that they are starting with the Elfstones. Probably a good choice though, I personally think it might be the strongest book of the entire series, plus if they start with the Sword it will get alot of flak as a blatant Tolkien ripoff. But the Elfstones is an awesome book, wonder if they would just skip the sword and come back to it later?

    Big question is, how will this work in series form? For the most part the characters are different in each of the first 3 books so they would need a new cast every season. The Scions would work pretty well as a multi-season show I guess, I remember really enjoying those books.

  11. #11
    Registered User Werthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,648
    Interesting. This was going to be a movie for a long time, with Mike Newell (who did one of the HARRY POTTER films and FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL) attached to direct. They were also going to start with ELFSTONES. The project stalled when Newell was recruited to do the PRINCE OF PERSIA movie, and now it seems to have transformed into this TV project.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sic's mom View Post
    I have always liked Terry's books, in fact I am on my waiting list at the library for the new one. So I would love to see a series made of the Shannara world. As long as they don't give it the same treatment they did to the Sword of Truth series. One of the worst shows I ever saw. I think we have Game of Thrones to thank for the fact that producers are realizing there is a market out there for fantasy lovers. As long as they do it well. But we all know that will come down to money, so here's praying.
    My thoughts exactly. Can you guys find mention of what TV Network this will be on? If it's SyFy or something it'll end up just like SoT series. Let's hope for HBO or maybe AMC if they can following Walking Dead's example a bit.(with slightly better actors)

  13. #13
    @PeteMC666 PeteMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,741
    I haven't read any of these for about twenty five years, but I remember the third one was far and away that best - was that Elfstones? The one with the three escaped demons running rampant across the land, I can see that working on the telly.

    The first one was...of it's day, shall we say. I can't imagine anyone who's watched GOT and the LOTR films being remotely impressed by it these days to be honest.

  14. #14
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    I haven't read any of these for about twenty five years, but I remember the third one was far and away that best - was that Elfstones? The one with the three escaped demons running rampant across the land, I can see that working on the telly.

    The first one was...of it's day, shall we say. I can't imagine anyone who's watched GOT and the LOTR films being remotely impressed by it these days to be honest.
    Elfstones was the second, Wishsong(?) is the third.

  15. #15
    @PeteMC666 PeteMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,741
    Oh right, I don't remember the second one at all then. Will keep an eye out for it but I can't say I'm expecting great things exactly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •