Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    Oh right, I don't remember the second one at all then. Will keep an eye out for it but I can't say I'm expecting great things exactly
    Pete, actually I believe you do remember the Elfstones. Your description of the demons at least I believe is describing the 2nd book, the Elfstones where the Reaper, Changeling and the rest of the Demons escape the Forbidding? The 3rd is the Wishsong and also was good. But like you I haven't read these for probably 15 years so I could be confused too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Fantasy_Ice View Post
    Pete, actually I believe you do remember the Elfstones. Your description of the demons at least I believe is describing the 2nd book, the Elfstones where the Reaper, Changeling and the rest of the Demons escape the Forbidding? The 3rd is the Wishsong and also was good. But like you I haven't read these for probably 15 years so I could be confused too!
    You are not confused, but are absolutely correct.

I'd personally love to see an Elfstones series. Like many, I haven't read this in 20 years but it was definitely my favorite of the original trilogy which is as far as I got with Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Fantasy_Ice View Post
    Gotcha, my mistake and that's definitely the one I'm thinking of. In which case, this could be quite entertaining.

I guess starting with the second book is a good way to avoid the more direct LOTR comparisons. Or maybe it's a case of the rights to the first book being tied up somewhere else. That said, Elfstones was always my favorite; I burned through the entire thing on Christmas Day after getting it as a gift.

One caveat though: Sonar Entertainment used to be Robert Halmi Productions, the company responsible for mini-series like Tin Man, Earthsea and Dinotopia. So temper your expectations based on how you felt about those.

Oh dear, Earthsea did not go down well from what I remember.

Never saw that, but I did like Tin Man in a bonkers kind of way.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    I've never read any of the Shannara series. Though I had read the first Landover novel, and I enjoyed it a decent amount. Besides I'm always down for a new fantasy television series or movie adaption. They're not always the greatest but some times you get gems like Game of Thrones or the most recent Sinbad series.

YaY!

Shannara <3

This would be great... if it wasn't going to be on ..... MTV!

http://screenrant.com/shannara-serie...-favreau-pilot

If this still excites you guys, great. Me, personally, it infuriates. I remember being crucified as a kid/young adult for my taste in books - IE Fatnasy. Now it seems everyone is just clamoring for a dumbed-down version on their TV set.

Sorry for the rant but I'm not looking forward to this anymore. Elfstones was my favorite of the set. The thought of 20-something American actors playing these roles makes me want to break things. And I'm American before anyone gets fiesty.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    Interesting news. Since I had mixed feelings reading Sword of Shannara when it first came out, I'm not sure whether I am hoping they'll be faithful to the book or not.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
    This would be great... if it wasn't going to be on ..... MTV!

http://screenrant.com/shannara-serie...-favreau-pilot

If this still excites you guys, great. Me, personally, it infuriates. I remember being crucified as a kid/young adult for my taste in books - IE Fatnasy. Now it seems everyone is just clamoring for a dumbed-down version on their TV set.

Sorry for the rant but I'm not looking forward to this anymore. Elfstones was my favorite of the set. The thought of 20-something American actors playing these roles makes me want to break things. And I'm American before anyone gets fiesty.
    I'm in agreement with you there, Crysania. After being roundly mocked for choice of reading leisure, now its fashionable. I see celebrities and stars wearing glasses that have no prescription in them, as well as all kinds of stars and celebrities appropriating some measure of nerdom for themselves. I imagine this television series as being something rather 'cheese-tastic.'

/*smh

While I would normally agree with you, the series is actually going to be directed by Jon Favreau (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Cowboys and Aliens, among others). He is not necessarily a low budget director and could actually do a decent job with it. Perhaps MTV is just coming up with the cash and is not destined to produce a disaster akin to Legend of the Seeker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochos View Post
    i hope its more "game of thrones" adaptation, than a "sword of truth"
    +1 to that. The Sword of Truth TV series was almost embarrassing. From the first season episodes I watched they basically created a Xena, Warrior Princess ripoff in Terry Goodkind's world with barely a nod to the actual story line.

I really hope whatever they do with Shannara is handled more faithfully.

Good grief I'd forgotten all about this - is it actually happening now?