Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Reading actual books is MUCH more fun than reading ebooks

I've been using my kindle for the last two years and I just haven't been enjoying myself like I used to before. Is it just a mental thing or what?

I enjoy reading both physical books and ebooks on my Kobo. In fact I think I read a little faster on my Kobo. I do not like reading books on my laptop however.

It's not the same at all. I mean even books with that horrible paper that makes your fingers feel horrible is better than a Kindle in terms of feeling.

For me, the medium doesn't matter. It's the words that count.

Way Too Human
    Although I love my Kindle, there is a distinct pleasure in reading an actual book (paperback mostly). I think it's mental though. I don't think my children (16 and 19) will miss it as much as I do.

Perhaps someone needs to invent a fragrence that smells like a new book. We could then apply it to our Kindle covers for that new book smell every time we use it.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Now that I've taken to reading ebooks, I plan to never read a paper book again. We need trees more than we need paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    Now that I've taken to reading ebooks, I plan to never read a paper book again. We need trees more than we need paper.
    Which is why publishers are using recycled paper quite frequently now.

But one could easily counter and say the production of e-readers is just as destructive due to the chemicals, manufacturing processes and so on, not to mention the employment of cheap and exploitable labour forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Which is why publishers are using recycled paper quite frequently now.

But one could easily counter and say the production of e-readers is just as destructive due to the chemicals, manufacturing processes and so on, not to mention the employment of cheap and exploitable labour forces.
    But as an ebook reader can hold hundreds, even thousands, of books, it easily wins the prize of least damaging to the environment over time.

Provided you keep it for awhile, of course.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar

How long do the devices last before they need to be replaced, though? I've been wondering that since I bought a Kindle Fire.

And hardly anyone keeps a gadget more than 18 months these days...

But as an ebook reader can hold hundreds, even thousands, of books, it easily wins the prize of least damaging to the environment over time.

Not at all. There are many initiatives to replant trees used, and when you think about how many hundreds and thousands of ereaders ('proper' and 'fake') are made, you're talking huge amounts of pollution.

Trees can be planted and grown. Mercury and other toxins entering water systems, huge quantities of fuels used for transportation across countries (books tend to be printed in the country of sale), and so on? Can't really be corrected right now. I think ereaders are potentially much more damaging.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    It's a bit like the issue of whether to ask for paper or plastic bags at the grocery store. For a long time, it was considered more environmentally friendly to ask for plastic, in order to "save the trees." It turns out that it's not that simple, and some say that both kinds are about equally bad, although for different reasons. I always preferred paper because you can put more in the bag (not that the checkers ever do these days) without everything falling out, and I grew up in a time when we found a lot of uses for paper bags after we brought them home -- particularly in a house with children, who could use the kraft paper. In asking for paper, I was going against the received wisdom, but the idea that plastic was better just felt wrong to me. This was undoubtedly the wrong reason for choosing paper, but it was my reason and generally I went with it.

Now, in California, it's been decided that plastic bags are the worst. In a couple of months, a law will go into effect so that stores will be charging for them. Of course part of this idea is to encourage people to bring their own reusable bags.

My point is that I think we tend to come to decisions about these things before all the information is in, before all the issues have been adequately examined and all the questions answered. Right now we don't know whether paper books or e-readers will be more damaging to the environment in the long run, and what it really comes down to is a matter of personal preference, whatever we may tell ourselves.

I like paper-and-ink books better, for a whole host of reasons, but the temptation to get some books a lot cheaper is irresistible and that's why I have a Kindle. (Although right now I am watching more movies on my Kindle Fire than I am reading books on it.) But when the price difference is only a couple of dollars, I will choose the paper book every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Not at all. There are many initiatives to replant trees used, and when you think about how many hundreds and thousands of ereaders ('proper' and 'fake') are made, you're talking huge amounts of pollution.

Trees can be planted and grown. Mercury and other toxins entering water systems, huge quantities of fuels used for transportation across countries (books tend to be printed in the country of sale), and so on? Can't really be corrected right now. I think ereaders are potentially much more damaging.
    You may not be taking into account the environmental damage done harvesting the trees and rendering them into paper: Heavy environmental damage by heavy machinery, causing massive erosion; bleaches and other chemicals used to pulp and create paper (also needed when recycling paper); said bleaches and chemicals generally being flushed into the local watershed; said machins being powered generally by oil- and coal-based power plants; and of course the fuel needed to drive the paper to printers; printing, involving oil-powered machines and (usually) oil-based inks; more fuel used to transport and store the books; and fially, to get it into your hands. So the paper lifestream isn't too clean either.

But as I said, publishers are trying to offset that somewhat by using recycled paper. It's still not perfect, but I would argue that recycled paper used for a book printed within the country of sale is much more ecologically (and economically, due to improved working conditions) sound.

Obviously if you go into the wider picture you add up more pollutants and so on, but the journey itself from paper to printed book form in your hand? Much, much less damaging than the production of an ereader.

The paper-vs-ebook debate rolls through this forum like waves on the beach. Mostly, the two presentations are simply different. It's not an either/or choice. The big choice is whether or not the ideas and artistic espression continue to fertilize our minds and hearts. Both of these media pass that test with flying colors.