Lightbulb I would like some opinions - Reading Recommendation

Hi everyone i am a fairly new reader in fantasy books. i ve only read the lord of the rings trilogy, and ASOIAF though i got bored in the feast of crows but still i got it through. i am thinking to start a new series. after some searching i decided to start one of these three> Malazan, Mistborn or The Farseer trilogy. i like long series i dont mind many names and chars as long as there are 2-3 protagonists. i would also like if it has a political or philosophical touch. i would like to hear some opinions on which to choose. or if you have some other recommendation. thank you.

I would recommend getting more fantasy under your belt before tackling Malazan. Of the three I think Farseer is more foundational (and it's excellent), whereas both Mistborn and Malazan are a bit deconstructive. If you are new the genre, may as well save some of the more deconstructive stuff for later after you get more of a base under you (and can properly appreciate what those other books are doing).

Stay away from Malazan if you only want a few protagonists. Gardens of the Moon is one of the hardest first books to get through I have read. The Mistborn is a simple series with only a few protagonist, a nice magical system, and quick pace. But you will not find much in the way of politics or philosophy.

You say your open to other suggestions, which can be hit or miss, but here a few of my standbys. The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie if you liked LoTR and want to see a complete deconstruction of it. Crown of Stars or Crossroads series by Kate Elliot if you want something more political. Both feature a smaller cast of protagonist.

If you found A Feast For Crows boring, then the Farseer Trilogy may just kill you. It's a less complex read, certainly, but I found it rather dull and implausible (I just didn't buy any of it), so I ended up giving up during the third book, I think. Never read Hobb since. It also really only has a single protagonist.

In the vein of Martin, albeit easier to read, are Abercrombie and Abraham. Abraham is actually very much under Martin's wing, having worked with him on a variety of projects - including the current comic adaptation of A Game of Thrones - and his The Dagger and the Coin series (starts with The Dragon's Path) was very well received. I enjoyed it, and looking back it's like Martin but on a MUCH smaller and cleaner scale. Abercrombie is a fairly natural evolution from Martin - much 'thinner' reads, really. They're all the good stuff Martin does without the boring-as-sin interludes that feel like they never end. I'll also throw in a recommendation for Stephen Deas, as his Order of the Scales books really do fit the same sort of approach.

But if you want the political/philosophical touch? Well, look no further than Mark Charan Newton. He tackles social issues in his Legends of the Red Sun books, the series being notable for having a very diverse cast over the four books.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    If you found A Feast For Crows boring, then the Farseer Trilogy may just kill you. It's a less complex read, certainly, but I found it rather dull and implausible (I just didn't buy any of it), so I ended up giving up during the third book, I think. Never read Hobb since. It also really only has a single protagonist.
    I'm with Loerwyn. Malazan doesn't sound like what you'd like, Farseer probably too boring, and I haven't read Mistborn, but that might be the one to go with if you're sticking with the three you've mentioned.

I can also second Abercrombie and Abraham.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    I'm with Loerwyn. Malazan doesn't sound like what you'd like, Farseer probably too boring, and I haven't read Mistborn, but that might be the one to go with if you're sticking with the three you've mentioned.

I can also second Abercrombie and Abraham.
    Both are good recommendations, also Michael J Sullivan's series Riryia Revelations is also a great choice. Another series you may enjoy is Paul Kearneys Ten Thousand or Monarchies of God. Both feature only a few perspectives and have quite a following.

I started reading not that long ago as well and loved ASOIAF, but also thought feast was boring. One of the first books I tried was FarSeer. I read book 1 and didn't like it enough to read book 2. Still sitting on my shelf. There are a whole lot of politics in it though. And plenty of people love the series, just not my cup of tea. I read First Law and have to say...it quickly became my favorite series. And still is my favorite series. I've also read Mistborn and thought it was a fun read. Malazan I will agree that you should stay away from until you are more seasoned. It's is heavy, thick, and confusing book. But for you, it does contain A LOT of philosophy(almost too much, every character has a masters degree in it). If you want to gauge about how many characters are in it...check this link out: http://challonge.com/malazan/participants - It's pretty nuts. Great series though! Worth reading. Save it for later. Mistborn is really good. Quick and easy read. Logical fun magic system.

Personally my opinion is to read all of them. Just a matter of what to start next. Those are all good books, including Durzo's mention of Riryia Revelation.(that's on my christmas list). With that said if I were in your shoes and know what I know. Take malazan out and replace it with First Law. And read all 3 series(yes including FarSeer) in whatever order. They are all worth a read so it's just a matter of what you feel like....

Mistborn - People can ingest metals to acquire powers and they are fighting against an evil empire. Basically one main protagonist. Couple co-stars.
    First Law - Very raw and gritty. I can't say enough about how cool his characters are. THE BLOODY NINE...nuff said. It's a medieval theme. Wizards and warriors, war and blood. So good.
    FarSeer - An assassin, but not the dagger/ninja type you would think of. More of a poisoner. It's very thick in politics of the kingdom. I personally didn't like it, but plenty did and you should make your own decision on it.
    Malazan - Basically a story about the world and the Malazan Empire. Not really a story about any particular person or persons. Lots of POV's, it changes nearly every book. Very thick read, and not referring to the page count. Characters are awesome though. Story is great. Very original. My only complaints is the whole host of it was so large that the author couldn't possibly tie up every lose end. And many of the things that confuse you at the beginning are not necessarily ever reveal, though you do know a whole lot more by the end.

(I'd probably recommend reading in the order I just listed them. Possibly even push Malazan back further for some other books you come across.)

I made this for myself as I have done tons of research on what good books I should be reading next. But I think it can help someone new to fantasy a lot. http://chris.phob.net/books.htm
    Last edited by chris777; December 6th, 2012 at 07:57 AM.

The Inheritance Trilogy, which has 4 books, or is sometimes called the Eragon series is pretty good. Better than I thought it would be. I think Battlefield Earth has everything from sci-fi, government issues, slavery issues, geological issues, has deep emotions, nuclear war, spies, love, honor, conviction...It was really good and is a huge book, and though not a series feels like one. The Hunger Games is a quick read, but has a lot of gov't cover-ups you may enjoy.I am sorry I have never read the books you posted. Whether you want my opinion or not...we'll see. Happy reading!

If you're looking for something with some philosophy in it, I think The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker would be perfect. It's one of my top 5 favorite fantasy series so I would definitely recommend it.

Farseer is my favourite series of all time, follows just one character (Fitz) and is packed with political intrigue and fantastic characterization. Its different from most reads and packs an emotional punch, cant reccomend it high enough, but yeah, its like marmite and plenty of people really dont like it

Malazan is pretty hard to get into. I think Mistborn is your best bet out of those three.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    I would recommend getting more fantasy under your belt before tackling Malazan. Of the three I think Farseer is more foundational (and it's excellent), whereas both Mistborn and Malazan are a bit deconstructive. If you are new the genre, may as well save some of the more deconstructive stuff for later after you get more of a base under you (and can properly appreciate what those other books are doing).
    I definitely agree - get some more general fantasy under your belt first. One easy read is the Chronicles of Narnia.

I just read Treasures of Darkness Treasures of Light - Through the Dark Wood on Kindle. It was great! I think it is another good starter.

Also, Sword of Truth series is one I think might be a good starter series too.