Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggles View Post
    Yeam I'm fine with that!! :-)

Wasn't quite sure what was happening with Ba'alzamon and those tendrils or whatever...did he defeat him or just send him back to where he is trapped?

As to that, you're going to have to wait and see.

Jordan does almost everything for a reason. Even random things scrawled on walls or scraps of paper or things someone dreamed once can come back to be very important, often not for several books time (which is partly why there are so many "readers notes" sites out there for WOT!).

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMC View Post
    As to that, you're going to have to wait and see.

Jordan does almost everything for a reason. Even random things scrawled on walls or scraps of paper or things someone dreamed once can come back to be very important, often not for several books time (which is partly why there are so many "readers notes" sites out there for WOT!).
    You've got me thinking...

Spoiler:
    I wonder if that actaully freed ba'alzamon rather than trapped him

I can't find a way of answering with out giving something away. But you will find out very soon, I think.(I'm pretty terrible at remembering in what book something happens since I usually read them back-to-back-to-back) Let's just say there's a few twists waiting for you. It gets better and better...until it gets worse...then better again =)

I have to agree with an earlier post about how EotW feels like a prologue. I just feel like everything is set up for book 2 and beyond. TGH is definitely where the fun begins in the WoT for me.

OK am having to agree with you guys, I am 8 chapters into The Great Hunt and already I can sense it's a better book. The prose is much better the story feels abit tighter. Enjoying the other POV's...so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by cohelian View Post
    A few years ago there was a pretty big disagreement here about the quality of the WOT series. It came very close to the same acrimonious pros and cons of Goodkinds Sword of Truth series, which I found a ridiculous comparison.
    A lot of people here will tell you they dislike this series, but a LOT more will tell you they loved it and I am ONE of them ! ! !
    I have read all those other series you mentioned and liked them all. I'll even admit to loving Erikson, but never Martin and I do not like Bakker at all even though I did read his first 4 books. Can I get a rebate there?

The WOT is the greatest fantasy series you will ever read if you are a not a pretentious literary snob. The books are long and yes Jordan has/had a tendency to run on with his setting descriptions, but when he gets back to the story it is well worth the wait.
    I have never read any books that have had so many characters I have cared so much about nor so many villains I have hated. No other books have ever engaged both my mind and my heart as this series has.
    I eagerly await the final book this next spring. Brandon Sanderson has done a marvelous job of carrying on with Robert's work.

The best fantasy series I have ever read. I have re-read most of the books at least once.
    If there's an official list somewhere, put me down for WOT sorta sucks ;-)

Same goes for LOTR.

That said I fully understand why so many people love it, especially if they read it as teens. I'm glad you folk finally got your final book.

Reek rhymes with geek
    When I started WOT, there were maybe 3 novels released. It was unlike anything available at the time, and I devoured them and waited patiently for every novel afterward, but with my enthusiams waning every time until after Winter's Heart I just stopped.

By then, there was new surge in quality epic fantasy, and I never really went back to WOT. Last year I went through the remaining novels, and I was generally impressed with both Jordan and Sanderson. The bloat was still there, the goofy idiosyncracies too, and the cast of identical Aes Sedai was a blurry as ever, but the plot picked up again with the end in sight. I really don't think there was anything ultra-exciting stunning after
    Spoiler:
    Dumai Wells until the White Tower was retaken

For completeness, I will finish the series, but I am in no way considering a start to finish reread.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of reading over the past couple week's and I've only just finished chapter 30 of the The Dragon Reborn. I will try to post some thought's tomorrow, it's 11pm and I still want to knock out a couple more chapters...

The series is only getting better and better! How long will it continue
    Last edited by Harry Hoo; October 23rd, 2012 at 05:15 AM.

For me, about 2 more books lol I felt that Lord of Chaos was the beginning of the decline

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    So yeah, maybe that wasn't the best website to recommend to first timers. I hope I didn't inadvertently spoil anything major for you guys!

The other website, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/cgi-bin/wot.cgi - Does not contain spoilers as long as you are on the correct book. This one helped me a ton.

Sorry, I feel bad now. As for myself I hate getting spoiled on anything! Tell me what you were spoiled on and I will tell you if it's a big deal or not.
    Hey Chris hopefully you can help me out, I'm half way through The Dragon Reborn however while reading The Great Hunt
    Spoiler:
    I happened to use the website you mentioned and read a listing of the characters in the prologue and it states Balzamon is the name assumed by Ishamael, however it never explicitly states in the prologue or the book for that matter who Balzamon is. Either that or I missed it. Ishamael isn't mentioned at all, but Bors does wonder if Balzamon is one of the forsaken. Is this a major plot point? As it stand's I'm kinda worried could ruin a big reveal.
    I think I'm going to swear of all discussion/material relating TWoT except for this thread.
    Last edited by Harry Hoo; October 23rd, 2012 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hoo View Post
    Hey Chris hopefully you can help me out, I'm half way through The Dragon Reborn however while reading The Great Hunt
    Spoiler:
    I happened to use the website you mentioned and read a listing of the characters in the prologue and it states Balzamon is the name assumed by Ishamael, however it never explicitly states in the prologue or the book for that matter who Balzamon is. Either that or I missed it. Ishamael isn't mentioned at all, but Bors does wonder if Balzamon is one of the forsaken. Is this a major plot point? As it stand's I'm kinda worried could ruin a big reveal.
    I think I'm going to swear of all discussion/material relating TWoT except for this thread.
    According to that website, and what I thought of it when I read it...
    Note: the information contained herein is intended to be information known at the time the character was mentioned for the first time in each book with no “spoilers".
    God. I'm sorry for recommending apparently two spoilerific sites. Geez. I used this character site exclusively during my read, and was never spoiled about anything. Seriously it was a life saver, specially for remembering all the million Aes Sedai that show up. But, I just sent an email to the creator of that site telling him about this.
    Spoiler:

If you look at the first book, Ba'alzamon description, it states the same thing. Ridiculous. While this is pretty strongly hinted at during the books, it's not explicitly revealed until TSR. It's not a very surprising reveal, or very important one for that matter. After it's revealed, it's forgotten about and no longer means much. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with it, there are many many hints already pointing towards it. Many people by this time already assume it's one of the Forsaken, and most likely Ish. Regardless, I'm a little angry that there is even a LITTLE spoiler in something that claims 100% spoiler free.

If he responds to me and changes this I will still recommend that site. Don't give up just yet, because as I said this wasn't a huge spoiler. But there should be 0 spoilers.

Side note: One thing that sucks about spoiler tags is that anyone subscribed to this thread(or any thread), when they get an email about the new post it just shows [ / s p o i l e r ] and the text...so if they dont close quickly you will see something you don't want to.
    Last edited by chris777; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azninvasion99 View Post
    For me, about 2 more books lol I felt that Lord of Chaos was the beginning of the decline
    I'd have to agree completely. It becomes A LOT of filler after that...until probably Knife of Dreams starts getting better. Then TGS and ToM are both pretty darn good!

I agree. Knife of Dreams was a breath of fresh air, esepcially after Crossroads of Twilight...

The guy for the website, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/cgi-bin/wot.cgi - responded to me.

I will remove those lines, but I need to check my glossary---I'm
    considering the Glossary entries to be fair game as parts of the
    description as soon as the character is mentioned, so if it mentions it
    there, it stays in.
    Spoiler:

I also need to re-read the Prologue, when Lews Therin meets Ishamael in
    his insane state. If there is enough description there to make the
    connection, I may restore it.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the site!
    Probably didn't need spoiler'd, but just in case.

Awesome, go Chris!

I started the 4th book after taking a break to read a few more Dresden books and the first book in Tad Williams' new series. I haven't enjoyed an epic fantasy series like this in a few years. The 2nd and 3rd books were, quite simply, amazing and I am really looking forward to the developments I will catch up on in book 4. I am only about 50 pages in, so no real thoughts on anything yet.