Lord of the Frozen Wastes

Which fantasy world...

Which fantasy world has the most written about it by its creator(s)? This came to my mind when i was reading the review thread of Forge of Darkness.

Erikson has written 11 novels, each between 700-1200 pages, plus 4 novellas, add to that Ian C. Esslemont's 4 novels, and more on the way from both. Maybe even this year. That's quite an extensive backstory for one world, especially to have been all published within the last 15 years.

I'd be hard pressed to figure out how much has been written about Michael Moorcock's multiverse, but considering that you can include almost all of his fictional works in one world, and he's been at it for 50 years, I bet he's somewhere near the top.

I specify creators to avoid inclusion of the extensive catalogs of Cthulhu mythos and Hyborian mythos that could be endless.

Pern has to be up there. Lost track of the number of books in the series.

the Rake
    Feist, Brooks and Pratchett would be near the top I would guess.

Michelle West and her world, which began in 1995 but doesn't have an actual title, should at least be in the conversation. There are currently 13 books totaling 8732 pages, with another 656 page book due at the New Year. There will be another book in the current series after that, and then another series will begin which will add thousands more pages. She's the sole writer of these series.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Would Sanderson's books count? They seem to all be connected loosely somehow. Not talking Wheel of Time, but his own universe and original novels.

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post
    Would Sanderson's books count? They seem to all be connected loosely somehow. Not talking Wheel of Time, but his own universe and original novels.
    I think by the time Sanderson is finished he can be added to this conversation given the fact that almost all his books will be in the same universe, although not the same world. Right now he has the Mistborn Trilogy (plus The Alloy of Law), Elantris, Warbreaker and The Way of Kings.

I would think a long running shared word series like Wild Cards, or D&D, or Warhammer.

Moorcock has written a huge number of books, but they are mostly very short by modern standards.

Robert Jordan has got to be up there I would have thought, along with John Norman at 25 (I think) Gor books.

I say it's a battle between the Cthulhu Mythos, ASIOAF, Lord of The Rings, The Moorecock universe, and the Stephen King Verse.