Hybrid View

"Deep" discussion about sci-fi and real-life lessons

Hi everyone,
    I'd be curious to hear from you how you think sci-fi has affected your life. Let me give you an example:

I fell in love with Dr. Who when I discovered it by chance one day, back in about 1985. Not only did it spark my curiosity about other worlds, life-after-death (regeneration?), time-travel, etc. But I believe on a deeper level I was inspired by the creativeness of it all. The doctor was always struggling to the end, to defeat the enemy. He had a strong sense of determinism: get the job done at all costs.

He also had a playful, intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn, which is what true computer "hackers" have. See wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_...ure%29#History

That "playful" spirit is something that has remained with me.

Can a sci-fi character be a real-life role model? I know it can certainly be true!

I'd like to write more, but I'll wait for now, to hear from you guys (and gals!) ...

brian

The only book that I have read outside of informative purposes was the Harry Potter series (I know that's not sci-fi, but regardless). I do believe that role models don't necessarily have to be living people (or nonliving since my first was Alexander the Great). Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter has earned a soft spot in my heart. I don't believe I have ever heard of such a person to remain untainted after so much hate and poison. It's that kind of personality that I admire.

Quote Originally Posted by Astronaut Child View Post
    The only book that I have read outside of informative purposes was the Harry Potter series (I know that's not sci-fi, but regardless). I do believe that role models don't necessarily have to be living people (or nonliving since my first was Alexander the Great). Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter has earned a soft spot in my heart. I don't believe I have ever heard of such a person to remain untainted after so much hate and poison. It's that kind of personality that I admire.
    Yes; sometimes I think that sci-fi is able to help us view our own (human) condition in a new light.

For example, I see how travelling to other worlds can be equated to visiting other countries, or even meeting new people. In a way, each person is a "world" to be discovered.

brian

Rather than answer this as how SF/F has effected my life, I'll answer as to how the late great David Gemmell made an impact...

...he wrote heroes that were men rather than gods. Men that I aspired to be like. Cowards turned to heroes...

...and then I joined the army to chase a dream of companionship.

DAMN BOOKS!