Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Release dates for Abercrombie's Red County

I admit that I am just very eager but....

Why the big difference in the release dates for this book? These dates my have changed since I looked last but at one point the release dates were October 18 in the UK and November 20 in the US. I read books, I enjoy books, but I have almost no knowledge about the publishing end of that business. Some of you really do... so... Why the big difference in the release dates?
    Thanks!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/0...lease-delayed/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie's blog
    Iím really, really gutted to report this, especially at such a late stage, but the US publication date for Red Country is dropping back three weeks to the 13th November
    ....more at the above link,

Bummer. Hopefully it will be a cleanly copy-edited version when it comes, maybe it otherwise wouldn't have been.

Looks like Iain M Banks owns October now.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    Bummer. Hopefully it will be a cleanly copy-edited version when it comes, maybe it otherwise wouldn't have been.

Looks like Iain M Banks owns October now.
    the year is ending nicely, though. so much goodness!

Got mine pre-ordered on Amazon. Love the pre-order automatic download.

I didn't think I'd love eBooks, but I was wrong.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info! The to Abercrombie's blog was very helpful.

What I still don't fully understand is what has to be done to the manuscript and in the other steps of publication after that that takes longer in the US than in the UK. Someone mentioned that the additional time might result in a 'cleanly edited' book when it is finally released, but does that mean the version released a month earlier in the UK won't be properly edited? I am so far from educated on the publishing end of these books that I love to read. Thanks for trying though folks! I do appreciate the responses.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My understanding, Twinner, is that usually there's not much editing, if any, between dates/continents, but the difference in date is more to do with how the publication of the book fits into publisher's schedules in their respective territories, not to mention who has publication rights and where.

Obviously the publisher wants the book to do well and to give it time to publicise it properly, not to mention to release it at a time when it will sell most. If it's released at the same time as a mega-book such as a Pratchett, a Rowling, a Weeks, then that might not do the book you're publishing any favours.

On the positive note, generally the differences between dates and the US/UK are getting better/closer. There was a time when Steven Erikson had the first few Malazan books available in the UK and not at all the US, for example...

Mark
    Mark

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    The text between the UK and US editions is identical. The US take the finished, typeset files from the UK publisher. But then they set them again their own way. Not totally sure why they choose to do this - their own house style, differences in paper stock and hence page count, slightly different traditions in the text size and spacing. They then check their setting over, there's some number crunching involved in getting the files ready for the printer, apparently. The physical distribution also takes a fair bit longer in the US, the distances are far greater and the supply chain more complicated, so it takes a lot longer to get books from printer to bookshop stock rooms ready for them to go on the shelves everywhere at once. So the US need a good deal more lead time, basically.

In this case we'd worked out a schedule that would deliver the final UK files to the US publisher in time for them to hit the date, and my editors and me worked to and hit that schedule. But some cock up had occurred somewhere in which the US people were given the wrong date, and although the book was well finished from my standpoint by that date, the final set, proof-read files weren't actually available until a couple of weeks later. By then, evidently, it was too late for them to get all their setting, printing and distribution done in time for their publication date, so they had to drop it back. Once you've missed the date, you can't necessarily shift it back a few days, because you've got to re-organise any promotions and such like and you may also have other books coming out you don't want this book to clash with. So the nearest available slot was three weeks later. That's actually pretty good. Often if you miss a publication slot it can be months before the next one comes up.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    While disappointed its been pushed back, I'm okay with it as I have a few books to get through before I can even get to it, so it's a mixed blessing for me.

Thanks Joe for stopping by and updating us, my book is preordered.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Joe and everyone else. I have learned several things in this thread thanks to the info provided by all of you.

I guess part of my problem is that I have moved in the direction of E-Books and Audible books so much that I don't even think in terms of type-setting and physical distribution. Spoiled? Yes... I am.

Joe,
    Thanks for chiming in with the helpful info and do keep up the great work!

I'm just going to 'read/listen' to Best Served Cold again while I wait.

All the best -

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have moved in the direction of E-Books and Audible books so much that I don't even think in terms of type-setting and physical distribution
    Well, of course, setting the e-book layout for different formats properly can take time too...

Mark
    Mark

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    There may well actually be more work in preparing the e-book than the physical. Lots of different formats and vendors to prepare for. You may well think it's a simple matter, but believe me, when you see a crappy conversion you know it.

Also the publisher is probably (hopefully from where I'm sitting) putting a lot of effort into making the book available everywhere at one time to make the maximum splash and get the highest possible sales in one week in the hope of hitting bestseller lists and etc. - so even if you could bring the e-book out sooner you may very well not want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    There may well actually be more work in preparing the e-book than the physical.
    A dark art that many have still not got right. I have lost track of the number of e-books I have read where the cover art and map are at the very end of the book, normally meaning you have finished the bloody thing before realising they are there. Also maps not detailed in the table of contents, or, worse, omitted completely.

OK, bit of a fantasy staple I know, but I for one often refer to in-book maps repeatedly, and it is one of my only gripes with ebooks that this can be a bit of a ballache.

Anyhow, pre-ordered Red Country (in ebook format) and looking forward to it Joe. How's the map?

My pre-order copy from Amazon now says delivery on November 16, so who knows?

I ordered from amazon UK not for the early release, which is a bonus, but for the cover art.