Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Red Country looks interesting to me, but since I haven't read anything by Abercrombie yet I am wondering if it can be read first, without needing any background material from his previous books? Thanks.

Whiskey, it could be read first, but I wouldn't recommend it. All his books to date occur in the same setting, and they all occur chronologically. Characters and events from his previous books are always referenced in his later books, and without having read Red Country yet, I'm sure the case is the same. I know of at least two characters from his previous books that are prominently featured in this one.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to disagree Dan, but Red Country is meant to be a standalone, even with the return of some characters.

You can read it without having read all the other books previously, I think. However, as you've said, you will get more if you have read the others, for example you will understand better
    Spoiler:
    Cosca and Logen, not to mention Caul Shivers.
    Not exclusive, though. I'm sure you can get an idea of Joe's books just by reading this one (or The Heroes, or Best Served Cold.)
    Mark

I'm reading BSC now and I can tell I'm enjoying it more than I would have if I hadn't read the trilogy. The cameos are fun.

A lot of folk got into Abercrombie with Best Served Cold and then went back and read the trilogy and I think that's an okay way to do it. But Red Country is a little more problematic that way, because it is a culmination of a few storylines coming together from the previous books. To follow all the themes of the books, chronological is definitely best. But if someone doesn't want to invest in all the books first off, I'd recommend reading Best Served Cold and then Red Country, or Best Served Cold, The Heroes and then Red Country.

Everyone is saying the same thing in a different way. You CAN read it alone, though it is not recommended. First Law trilogy is amazing! BSG was good and The Heroes was really good. But, I will always recommend First Law. If you want to read this book, read the others first. If for no other reason than them being REALLY good. First Law -> BSG -> Heroes -> Red Country

Just finished it now, after loving Best Served Cold and being satisfied with The Heroes I can honestly say this is the best of the three. No other writer has made me laugh out loud so much or created such amazing characters, been a while and read some amount of books since Heroes, its been so nice to get back to the very best - bring on this new trilogy.

Also Temple is an awesome character!

If you are going to read this as a stand alone then you are making a huge mistake, wont be anywhere near as good if you do, read all five previous books first, in order, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Andor View Post
    Just finished it now, after loving Best Served Cold and being satisfied with The Heroes I can honestly say this is the best of the three. No other writer has made me laugh out loud so much or created such amazing characters, been a while and read some amount of books since Heroes, its been so nice to get back to the very best - bring on this new trilogy.

Also Temple is an awesome character!

If you are going to read this as a stand alone then you are making a huge mistake, wont be anywhere near as good if you do, read all five previous books first, in order, seriously
    That's good to hear. I am considering a re-read of all 5 just to get the full effect. Most likely I will just read some good plot synopsis beforehand.

Halfway through, if it is just as good as it has been so far, I'll agree Red Country is perhaps better than Best Served Cold and The Heroes, though I love them all almost equally. I'll raise you on Temple and say he's Abercrombie's most nuanced character, very well written. That said I also love Shy South, and I've caught myself thinking more often than in the other books "Damn they should make this into a fricking movie!"

Edit:
    I've read all the books previous to this one but I do believe Red Country is very readable without prior knowledge. It will probably feel a little more shallow as regards to world-building, and you'll miss a few revelations, but I'm pretty sure a new reader would like this book and be spurred to begin at "The Blade Itself" afterward.