Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have no issues waiting further. There are too many great books to read or reread to let a few weeks (or months) really affect me.

That being said, Joe is one of only maybe two or three authors where I have read all of their works. So if there is an author where I will devour their work as soon as it becomes available, it is Joe. I am really looking forward to Red Country and have little doubt it will be as great as the previous 5.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    That being said, Joe is one of only maybe two or three authors where I have read all of their works. So if there is an author where I will devour their work as soon as it becomes available, it is Joe. I am really looking forward to Red Country and have little doubt it will be as great as the previous 5.
    Same. Any open reads can sit and wait when this one shows up.

Yeah, me too. There's some good reading coming up in the next couple months.

The Bloody Nine is making a comeback, I'm so damn pumped up for this.

Red Country

Gold has been discovered in the hills and mountains of the Far Country, that untamed frontier beyond the Old Empire and far to the west of the Union. Prospectors, mercenaries and those eager to find a new life flock to those lands, only to find the greed and violence of their pasts following them, even those of honourable intentions. Shy South and her adopted father are searching for missing kinfolk, kidnapped for purposes unknown. Their pursuit across the Far Country leads them into an alliance with a fellowship of the plains, a caravan hoping for a better life in the distant mining town of Crease. But, with rebels gathering in the mountains and Nicomo Cosca and his Company of the Gracious Hand also on a sworn mission to root them out for His Majesty's Inquisition, this is a journey where nothing will turn out as hoped.

Red Country is Joe Abercrombie's sixth novel and his third semi-stand-alone set in the same world as The First Law sequence. As with its two immediate predecessors, Best Served Cold and The Heroes, Red Country can be read by itself, but regular readers will pick up on a lot of nods and winks to previous novels, from cameo character appearances to the ongoing development of a 'cold war' between two opposing factions.

The book moves between several major POV characters. Shy is our main protagonist, but shares a lot of the page-time with Temple, a lawyer in Cosca's army whose moral centre is gradually crumbling in the face of so much pain and violence. Other characters also flitter in and out of the story, with Abercrombie re-using the 'POV handover' trick from The Heroes to great effect several times, where the perspective shifts between several characters in succession to help clearly tell the story of a battle or confrontation. As usual with Abercrombie, the characters' personalities and motivations are convincingly laid out and developed, and there are some nice pay-offs for returning characters (Cosca, in particular, gets some fairly thorough character development here). One slight flaw is that the storyline following one of the kidnapped children never seems to really develop, and feels like it either needed several more chapters dedicated to it or the whole thing dropped and the reader (like Shy) made to discern for themselves what happened off-page.

The novel has been billed as 'Joe Abercrombie's Western' and there is certainly a degree of that in the book's influences. Brief nods to The Searchers, Unforgiven and the mighty Deadwood can be discerned, though unexpectedly the most constant cultural reference is the original Star Wars movie: one brief line of dialogue by Obi-Wan Kenobi inspires an entire subplot in the novel. However, there are significant deviations from the Western motif. The West in this case is the long-abandoned northern provinces of the Old Empire, festooned with ruins from ancient times, rather than a totally virgin and untamed land (apart from the natives, of course). The area is also (relatively) close to the Old Empire, the Union and the North, making it much more of a cultural melting-pot and having it effect (and be effected by) events in more established lands than you might expect. Finally, there's no six-shooters, with everyone falling back on the old stand-bys of swords and bows. More or less.

The tone of the book is bloody and cynical, with Abercrombie's trademark line in black humour preventing things from getting too depressing. However, the cynicism feels a little harder-edged and a bit blacker than in his previous books, the humour perhaps a tad less prevalent. It's still a page-turning, well-written book with points to make about human nature, but at times the tone feels wearier than his previous books. However, this also ties in with a feeling of tragedy underpinning the book, one that results in a grimly satisfying pay-off at the end (and one element of the novel that is completely lifted - if appropriately - from a Western).

Red Country (****) is Joe Abercrombie doing what he does best, writing a story of violence, mayhem and vengeance and the effect it has on all-too-human characters. As with his previous stand-alones, the book works as both a satisfying novel in its own right and also moves a lot of political and religious pieces into position to be (presumably) used to good effect in his next work, a full-on trilogy. Some may find the cynicism a tad overwhelming at times and at least one of the subplots doesn't quite work as well as it could have, but this is a strong effort from one of the better writers in the genre. The novel will be available on 18 October in the UK and 13 November in the USA.

Maine Pro Disc Golf
    This will be released just in time for my vacation in November.

I will be grabbing this book, a fancy drink with those little umbrellas, and I will read in the sun all week.

Very much looking forward the release.

Thanks Joe.

Maine Pro Disc Golf
    Quote Originally Posted by HeclaBull View Post
    The Bloody Nine is making a comeback, I'm so damn pumped up for this.
    It sounds like the Bloody Nine. But I wouldn't count my chickens yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bren18 View Post
    It sounds like the Bloody Nine. But I wouldn't count my chickens yet.
    Count your chickens.

It was confirmed.

So did anyone else get this a few days ago? Mine was delivered to my Kindle about 5 days ago...... But release date is 18th?

Yup, just arrived on my Kindle.

Looks like I might have to take a lunch break today...

Blog Entries
    Are those of you who have received if on your Kindle in the US? The Amazon site I see still lists November for that, even on Kindle.
    Thanks!

This is kinda depressing, but....

The Stephen Pacey recording of Red Country is already available on at least one file sharing site, even though it is not yet on the Audible site in either the US or the UK so far as I can tell.

eta -- okay, I did find it on the Audible UK site. But it isn't on the Amazon UK site, or on either site in the US yet. It appears to have been released on the Audible UK site just today (it's still Thursday for me!).
    Last edited by Contrarius; October 19th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    got my copy in the post yesterday. very chuffed. already spoiled the cover by drooling on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
    Are those of you who have received if on your Kindle in the US? The Amazon site I see still lists November for that, even on Kindle.
    Thanks!
    UK here mate

I deleted my post. Going to finish the book before I post my review.
    Last edited by hawkeyye; October 21st, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Reading Red Country (well, obviously taking a break to peak into this here thread) and, yeah. It's Abercrombie all right.
    Loving it.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; October 27th, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: self-promo link