Shadow Kings by Michael Cobley

Hi guys. I live in the USA and just ordered Memories of Ice from Amazon UK. While fisnihing my order, the website recomended a book called Shadowkings by Michael Cobley. I never heard of this book and could not find it on the US Amazon.com website. Can anyone tell me about this book? Is it any good? The written reviews gave it good rating buit i was curious of the opinions on this board. Also, is it not available in the US? Thanks alot guys.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Arith - the author is better known for his horror/graphic novels, I think, though I understand he has been working on this for a while. I gather it is quite dark and gruesome, though I haven't read it. (I had the chance to review it, but turned it down!)

It did look a little repetitive (or dare I say it, derivative?) though I haven't read it so I shouldn't really comment. I have thought about buying it but then put it back to buy other things. Seems similar to Erikson or Glen Cook's Black Company IMO.

It has only been published so far as a Trade PB here in the UK - no HB - the 'proper' PB comes out in the summer I think.

Hobbit
    Mark

Thanks Hobbit. What did you mean by repetitive? I love Erikson so i may have a go at this if its similar.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Actually I may be the source of your curiousity, funny enough. I just made a big order from amazon.uk which included Memories of Ice. Knowing how their system works, it would not surprise me that you saw this and I was the only one to purchase this. Especially if you bought your copy right after I made my order.

So you might wish to wait. I read about the book and our reading group is focusing on UK and Australia fantasy for the most part so I took a gamble. And while I did purchase the latest Erikson, I am not a huge fan. I like his stuff okay but no passion. So the recommendation based on people who bought this also bought this should not be viewed with any great level of confidence.

Once I read the book I will let you know what I think of it though. It might take awhile if it doesn't grab me right away.

Great, thanks John, im looking forward to your review.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Just read some reviews on Amazon and it seemed like a story with some potential to me.

Blog Entries
    repetitive....what did I mean?

Good versus evil, wizards versus warriors, barbarian tribes.....

...though I must point out that it was an initial impression. A skim through the pages in a bookshop didn't impress me much either, though it may be that I wasn't 'in the mood' for such a bleak novel. In my usual cackhanded way of typing in shorthand, I think that I meant that Erikson, Cook and no doubt others (Feist, for example) have all done it before and this one didn't seem to extend it further.

But I haven't read it and would be interested in an opinion from someone who has. (Realising that he has fallen into the trap of making comments about a book before giving it a proper try, Hobbit sneaks away.... )

Hobbit
    Mark

Here's a review by someone who's actually read this book. Sounds more and more appealing...

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfic...hadowkings.htm

Blog Entries
    Interesting, Mithfanion. I usually regard the Infinity Plus reviews highly, so I'll have to give this one another look.

Hobbit
    Mark

DAMN! Another UK only book. Either I will add this to the growing amazon.co.uk list or hopefully one of the dealers attending the convention I'm going to in April will have it.

Sounds good to me too.

Well, two friends óf mine have read it already and it seems the good Hobbit's hunch was right. Nothing special is basically what they utter. Too much stuff they've seen before. Boring in the first half, much better in the second half. One of them would read the sequel, the other wouldn't.

Just an impression. It has certainly lowered my expectations a bit, knowing their tastes.

Blog Entries
    ...and for my next trick, I will read books by just passing my hand over them lightly, so that I don't actually have to read them!

Thank you Mith - as ever, an opinion is an opinion and what is one person's Goodkind is another person's Jordan (or something like that!) but it's good to hear other's impressions - that's what we're here for, after all.

Actually, I might just give this one a proper try...just to check first impressions... (climbs off the proverbial fence..)

Hobbit
    Mark