Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hannibal Lecter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Cat People is a psychological horror, it does have a supernatural element. The Haunting had plenty of on screen supernatural elements.
    Perhaps my memory of CP is fading, but the as I recall the supernatural is only hinted at, mainly through the tracking shot of her shadow going from light pole to light pole until after one it becomes the shadow of a cat. I think I recall a similar use of shadow in the pool scene. No one really sees her turn into a cat, the cat isn't really shown in the film.

Most of what happens in The Haunting can be explained as psychological, though I'd agree that that is more true in the novel.

All are post-"Turn of the Screw" so the supernatural is alluded to rather than trotted out in the open. Having just re-read The Werewolf of Paris recently, I was surprised to find it true of that novel, too; which wasn't my recollection of it.

Yes, some movies blur the lines but the lines are still there, it's up to each of us to decide where we draw them.
    Agreed. I just think your line has some dashes in it.

Randy M.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Agreed. I just think your line has some dashes in it.
    As does yours.

I think my question got lost in the discussion. I am aware NBC has ordered a limited series based on years prior to Red Dragon, but I am curious as to whether Thomas Harris has any plans to follow up Hannibal with anything in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwalker View Post
    I think my question got lost in the discussion. I am aware NBC has ordered a limited series based on years prior to Red Dragon, but I am curious as to whether Thomas Harris has any plans to follow up Hannibal with anything in the future.
    I think you're right.

I haven't heard any plans for more Lector books. But then, there was a gap of eleven years between The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal so I'm not sure silence means anything. On the other hand, if a book was in the pipeline, I would expect his publisher to make sure there was some kind of news about it to build anticipation.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    I think you're right.

I haven't heard any plans for more Lector books. But then, there was a gap of eleven years between The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal so I'm not sure silence means anything. On the other hand, if a book was in the pipeline, I would expect his publisher to make sure there was some kind of news about it to build anticipation.
    And didn't Hannibal Rising come out quite a while after Red Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    And didn't Hannibal Rising come out quite a while after Red Dragon?
    Yep, it sure did. It was a screenplay first which was then turned into a novel. I didn't bother with either book or film as I'd completely lost interest in the character after the debacle that was Hannibal. However, the first two books Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs were absolutely terrific.