Stories featuring female led relationships...

Anyone who has read a number of threads I've posted on has probably determined this is a point of interest for me. Make of it what you will, but the concept fascinates me.I am aware of some of the kinkier implications this might have among some circles, but I am not strictly asking for erotica. I'm mostly looking for fantasy, horror, or science fiction with characters involved in a female led relationship. I was wondering if there are any good ones that exist. Most internet searches on the matter have turned up little to nothing. So I was wondering if there are any well known examples out there.

Well this thread has gone the way I feared it would. X_X

Well, truth be told, you did post in the General Fiction subforum which is pretty quiet. It's not really for genre discussions, whereas you're largely looking for genre works.

But let me try and help. What do you mean by "female-led relationships"? Do you mean books with female protags, books where a female/group of females (not necessarily the protags) are the dominant force, books primarily containing relationships between women, books containing romantic relationships between women - what, in particular, are you after?

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Off the top of my head, I think of Mat and the Empress (WoT); Tavi and Kitai (Furies of Calderon); Morgaine and Nhi Vanye (Morgaine, C.J. Cherryh - though a non-romantic, non-intimate relationship).

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Well, truth be told, you did post in the General Fiction subforum which is pretty quiet. It's not really for genre discussions, whereas you're largely looking for genre works.

But let me try and help. What do you mean by "female-led relationships"? Do you mean books with female protags, books where a female/group of females (not necessarily the protags) are the dominant force, books primarily containing relationships between women, books containing romantic relationships between women - what, in particular, are you after?
    Well I didn't want to make two separate threads in both Fantasy/Horror and Sci-fi, and possibly a third for this section lest I appear to be spamming the forums.One never knows how mods and admins will see such things.

As for what I mean, I was talking more about romantic/intimate relationships, but not just between two women. It strikes me as odd when people assume a female led relationship has to be between two women. I would gladly read a story about a relationship between two women, but it's not the only kind of female led relationship that exists.

No, but the fantasy board is the most travelled so would likely be the best place for this topic. I'll poke a mod later.

Anyway, I don't think anyone assumed that, it's just you weren't clear at all about what you wanted - the type of relationship, for example.

Off the top of my head:
    Clive Barker's Abarat has a few - Candy Quackenbrush' friendships tend to be driven by her at least, and Mater Motley is kind of pulling the strings of the bad guys.
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld does contain some, particularly books involving The Witches and, later, Tiffany Aching
    Elspeth Cooper's Songs of the Earth has a romantic relationship where the woman is most definitely in charge. One of the best romances I've read in a while, actually.
    Possibly might be able to fit Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere in here too.