Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Halloween reading plans consist of Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce, as well as this:

INTRODUCTION: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO HORROR? by Stephen Jones
    THE LITTLE GREEN GOD OF AGONY by Stephen King
    CHARCLOTH, FIRESTEEL AND FLINT by Caitlín R. Kiernan
    GHOSTS WITH TEETH by Peter Crowther
    THE COFFIN-MAKER'S DAUGHTER by Angela Slatter
    ROOTS AND ALL by Brian Hodge
    TELL ME I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN by Dennis Etchison
    THE MUSIC OF BENGT KARLSSON, MURDERER by John Ajvide Lindqvist
    GETTING IT WRONG by Ramsey Campbell
    ALICE THROUGH THE PLASTIC SHEET by Robert Shearman
    THE MAN IN THE DITCH by Lisa Tuttle
    A CHILD'S PROBLEM by Reggie Oliver
    SAD, DARK THING by Michael Marshall Smith
    NEAR ZENNOR by Elizabeth Hand
    LAST WORDS by Richard Christian Matheson

That looks like a solid line-up.

Randy M.

John Joseph Adams, possibly the best short fiction editor working today is launching a new horror magazine on October 1st:

http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    We had a countdown last year: Countdown to Halloween 2011! and our resident horror expert Randy M. did somthing two years ago: Randy M's Horror Reads for October 2010

As for me personally, I've been saving the newest Caitlin R. Kiernan - The Drowning Girl - for this time of year as well as my reprint of George R.R. Martin's Fevre Dream
    that randy m thread is AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Molgaard View Post
    that randy m thread is AWESOME!!
    Thanks, Matt. I appreciate your appreciation.

Randy M.

A stop at Charles Grant's Oxrun Station is perfect for this time of year. You can get the whole series for your kindle or nook so you won't have to search used bookstores. I'm also making a side trip to my old alma mater , Miskatonic University , to pick up a copy of Brett j. Talley's "That Which Should Not Be" and if I have enough time its on to Pine Deep for Jonathan Maberry's "Ghost Road Blues".

I read a few young adult books from a series called Wardstone Chronicles(The Last Apprentice in the US). I remember them being quite good and creepy beyond its target audience. Should be perfect for those looking for a lighter read while still embracing the Halloween horror spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    I read a few young adult books from a series called Wardstone Chronicles(The Last Apprentice in the US). I remember them being quite good and creepy beyond its target audience. Should be perfect for those looking for a lighter read while still embracing the Halloween horror spirit.
    That's a good point, and it's part of what I like about short stories: If one doesn't suit your mood, go to another.

Other lighter works that would make good October/Halloween reading:
    Peter Beagle: Tamsin; his short stories "Come, Lady Death" & "Lila the Werewolf"
    Neil Gaiman: Coraline & The Graveyard Book & Neverwhere & Smoke and Mirrors (a collection)

Randy M.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttz96 View Post
    This is funny. PeteMC just recommended this to me over in the Bad Monsters Written Well thread in the Writing Forum. Haha! Maybe I will pick it up sooner than I was planning and try to actually read it during this next month. Thanks!