Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Ann McCaffrey just for young women?

Hello Science Fiction Fans! I heard about the DragonRiders of Pern T.V. show that is being developed. I always avoided Ms. McCaffrey novels because I had heard that they are designed for a female adolescent audience. Are there any adult males out there that enjoy her books? I am a adult male and would like to know if I should give her writings a try or should I continue to avoid them.

Jax Hubbub

Hi there... Well I haven't read more than a few of her short stories but I found them entertaining even if I am - thirty something... But let's hear what the rest of the crowd says... Personally I think she's a good writer AND will purchase her books and start reading as soon as I am finished with a LOAD of other books...

Cheers - Virtual Voyager - The Void of Light is the Way

Well I hope to hell that she doesn't write strictly for a younger female audience. Because it thats the fact, then that makes me feel really bad about myself...lol

Me being a 19yr/m

I really enjoyed her Pern books, although I got confused about the order in which the books should be read. I do recommend the books though, even if they are targeted for women.

AM is a writer for anyone, really. Her strongest books are, imho, the first five or six Pern novels, and then it sorta goes downhill from there - not in terms of plot, but the writing style is somewhat weak. imho, of course. But they're still enjoyable.

Thanks! All of your replies were very helpful. I will give the Pern series a try.

Jhubbub, NEVER let anyone dictate to you what you should read based on gender or age! Pern started in a short story (Dragonflight) that she wrote simply to put Dragons in a positive light. I have many male friends who have loved the series. As a matter of fact, I got hooked on it when I borrowed it from my FATHER! (Who also turned me on to Robert A. Heinlein, but that is another story). JK Rowling wrote the Harry Potter books for pre-adolescent boys, but I (a 32 year old woman) loved all three books! The point is, if the story looks vaguely interesting, give it a try!

let me second what dragondreamer said. Don't ever let somebody's advice or scuttlebut steer you away from giving a novel a try. If you think it may interest you, read it, that's the only way you'll know.

As for the Pern novels, I've only read the first three, and, as a 27 year old male, I enjoyed them. If you're into dragons, or like a good fantasy novel, then give it a try.

I'm 51 years old and I enjoyed the Pern Series immensely. A lot of her books are based on female characters the stories are great. I think you'll enjoy them.

Dale

AM's early pern books (pre Avais) were great and so were her damia books. The 'singing' ships series she cowrote was not bad and considering I inherited those books from my GRANDFATHER....I don't think they are just for young women.You should read whatever you want!

Just another adult, male, Pern-fan here. Well worth reading. Personally I'd read the harper trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums) first, or interwoven with the dragon rider trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon). The rest aren't quite as good IMO but still enjoyable.
    Mainly female lead characters but not overwhelmingly so.

I have to admit, I don't like Ann. I'm a boy, and I read The Ship Who Sang, and it was okay. A cool idea, but the book had a lot of slow spots for me. I started the White Dragon or whatever the first book of that serries is and it didn't grab me.

Oh well, huh?

I have several theories about those pesky Pern books...I heartily agree that you should never judge a book by it's cover (gasp, cliche within a cliche) but having said that, I do believe that Pern is designed for young women. Not a damn thing wrong with that, we need more women in the game, and I need more women who like sci-fi to talk to. But I have to say much of the Pern material I have read (and, honestly, that includes all of three books) seems juvenile in it's approach and execution.

Cadfael
    42/fat/male/balding

But I think the early Pern books a utterly brilliant. I have not read much of the later books because I found it was the same stories told from another perspective.

No... Anne MaCaffrey is for any gender. Mary Stewart is considered a 'woman's writer' but her books based on the Authurian Legend are good as well, in fact they are some of my favorites. If you like a book, it don't really matter what audience it was writen for

This may be an uninformed opinion (a master of that am I)
    I've only read "Runner of Pern" on Legends and that was some time back.
    I must say I enjoyed it. I'm more a SF freak than Fantasy (i.e. I'm grossly outnumbered here) and tend to read on recommendations of people who's opinions and tastes I value.
    in her defence, being not quite so enamoured to the fantasy genre as so many here, I found that I could visualise and get a feel for what was going on. something I often have trouble with with many fantasy authors, for example (POP! The sound of a can of worms opening! )Jordan, who I've been asked (given ultimatums really) to read and on any occasion I have he just didn't do it for me. however I could grasp, in her story, a feeling of the enviroment, and get a sense of depth. Which, is after all the reason for reading anything no?
    My critique however, as a big hairy lout, is that seing as there are people flying around on dragons and nasty spores and such why does she spend so long explaining the finer details of the dress she wore to the dance and how her shoes matched it? And what a great dancer he was...
    Perhaps, and I've seen evidence of people complaining of it here, it's good to see, as a lot of fantasy, and SF even more so, are simply dripping with testosterone- which of course is the way I like it but then we need a little variety do we not?

I'm 28, male and I have all the Pern series and frequently reread them, all books IMHO are for whoever wants to read them and shouldn't be limited to a specific audience.