Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

Just thought I would post this so everyone who enjoyed Michael's first series are aware of his follow up series.

Here is the blurb:

TWO MEN WHO HATE EACH OTHER. ONE IMPOSSIBLE MISSION. A LEGEND IN THE MAKING.
    A warrior with nothing to fight for is paired with a thieving assassin with nothing to lose. Together they must steal a treasure that no one can reach. The Crown Tower is the impregnable remains of the grandest fortress ever built and home to the realm’s most valuable possessions. But it isn’t gold or jewels the old wizard is after, and this prize can only be obtained by the combined talents of two remarkable men. Now if Arcadias can just keep Hadrian and Royce from killing each other, they just might succeed.

The Crown Tower is the first book in a new series, The Riyria Chronicles, based on characters from The Riyria Revelations. Unlike the previous series, which was a carefully choreographed interconnected series of books, the Chronicles are designed to be stand-alone stories that can be read independent of each other or the prior novels.

The Crown Tower has an expected release date of 3 August 2013 and will be published by Orbit. It is a two book series with the second book The Rose and Thorn to follow.

The official orbit announcement can be found here
    Last edited by DurzoBlint; September 26th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the re-post. It's been a busy day...and I've been thrilled with all the well wishes from people for the next series. I'm very excited to be reunited with two of my favorite characters.

I have *got* to get busy and read the Riyria books, dangit.

Ive not read the Riyria books yet, they get a few mentions in the various threads on here. Someone tell me why i should?? you too Michael!!!

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a complete series so, no waiting for more books to come out. Great characters, plot, mystery, and action. Has an updated feel to Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Just name a few reasons. Give it a shot, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I won't tell you that you should go read them, because I don't know what your tastes in books are, but I can tell you what I enjoyed about the series. The series is a return to a more traditional fantasy feel, with a simple exterior and great characters. Royce and Hadrian are honestly one of my favourite fantasy duos, and they have some great moments of dialog. I also really enjoyed how most of the side characters were handled, and how I really felt connected to them and was made to care about their fates. The characters are mostly portrayed as either evil or good, but sometimes extended exposure sheds light on different aspects of their personality and motivations.

The plot has a great pace and I never felt the urge to skim through to a more exciting part. While the plot appears to be fairly simple, there are quite a few layers and the overarching story line is more complex than it first appears. There were some genuinely shocking moments for me as I read. For me this is what made the series better read in sequence. I would never suggest that someone read the books out of order, despite being marketed as episodic. There are definite starts and ends to aspects of the plot in each book, but they are all heavily connected. I found that a series such as the Dresden Files handled this aspect a little better.

All of this isn't to say the book doesn't have its flaws. There were some cases of characters not appealing to me, that seemed inconsistent and lacked the depth that most of the others had. Some of the slang used grated with me, which often seemed to creep in during Royce and Hadrian's bantering. Other than that though, I had few issues.

To summarize: A great, light, easy to read series with a quick moving plot and fun characters.
    Last edited by Haliax; October 2nd, 2012 at 11:42 PM.

One of the best fantasy reads of 2012 was the Riyria Revelations series.

Everything about it was engaging - I didn't put the books down until I finished them...and then I wanted more.

Thankfully my wishes were answered.

Now, where did I put that magic lamp...I've still got 2 more wishes to cash in on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochos View Post
    Ive not read the Riyria books yet, they get a few mentions in the various threads on here. Someone tell me why i should?? you too Michael!!!
    This was a "Top 10" list that I did a while ago. It sums up my thoughts pretty succinctly.

1. A traditional fantasy that’s not a Tolkien clone, but also isn’t morbid to the point of having to down a pair of Prozac to get through.
    2. All six books were written before the first was ever published, enabling the weaving of threads and planting of clues about ongoing mysteries, allowing readers the added pleasure of trying to unravel the plot twists.
    3. Unforgettable characters that provide scenes both heartwarming and heart-wrenching that will make you cry in the end—not because they die horrible deaths (although some do), but because you don’t want to leave them.
    4. A story that is gritty to the point of killing off half the cast, and yet always leaves the reader feeling people are basically good and heroes can and do exist.
    5. A finished series with a designed arc that ties up all loose ends and as such provides a truly satisfying conclusion.
    6. Written for adults, but without gruesome violence, sex, or profanity so that it can be read by people of all ages and shared with the whole family.
    7. Lacking the overly grim portrayal of some fantasy worlds, it is infused with humor including witty banter and laugh-out-loud moments even during dire and serious moments.
    8. Designed such that each book is better than the one that came before, so if you like the first, you won’t be disappointed with the last.
    9. Written to be an “easy read” it lacks the intimidating wall-of-world-building-information, utilizes modern dialog rather than archaic speech, and is paced like a thriller to keep the pages turning.
    10. Written with an emphasis on character and plot it packs an emotional punch focusing on reading entertainment rather than intellectual allegory.
    Last edited by sullivan_riyria; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Those descriptions nail it! Michael, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a fantasy series as much as yours. So much fun with so much depth. I'm eagerly awaiting your next books!

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    This was a "Top 10" list that I did a while ago. It sums up my thoughts pretty succinctly.

1. A traditional fantasy thatís not a Tolkien clone, but also isnít morbid to the point of having to down a pair of Prozac to get through.
    2. All six books were written before the first was ever published, enabling the weaving of threads and planting of clues about ongoing mysteries, allowing readers the added pleasure of trying to unravel the plot twists.
    3. Unforgettable characters that provide scenes both heartwarming and heart-wrenching that will make you cry in the endónot because they die horrible deaths (although some do), but because you donít want to leave them.
    4. A story that is gritty to the point of killing off half the cast, and yet always leaves the reader feeling people are basically good and heroes can and do exist.
    5. A finished series with a designed arc that ties up all loose ends and as such provides a truly satisfying conclusion.
    6. Written for adults, but without gruesome violence, sex, or profanity so that it can be read by people of all ages and shared with the whole family.
    7. Lacking the overly grim portrayal of some fantasy worlds, it is infused with humor including witty banter and laugh-out-loud moments even during dire and serious moments.
    8. Designed such that each book is better than the one that came before, so if you like the first, you wonít be disappointed with the last.
    9. Written to be an ďeasy readĒ it lacks the intimidating wall-of-world-building-information, utilizes modern dialog rather than archaic speech, and is paced like a thriller to keep the pages turning.
    10. Written with an emphasis on character and plot it packs an emotional punch focusing on reading entertainment rather than intellectual allegory.
    Im sold, if you could PM me the reading order, just to make sure I read them properly. I'll hopefully have them by weekend. damn i cant wait now!!!

I just noticed that Crown Tower is on Audible now. :-)

Really looking forward to reading this (though I may wait until the 2nd one is out next month and do it back to back). I finished the other books around a month back and really really enjoyed them.The world and characters were fantastic and I couldn't put them down (there was a few late nights). While I was very satisfied with the ending of the final book in general it really left me wanting more of the characters/world so I am very happy you have plans to write more Royce and Hadrian novels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpred View Post
    Really looking forward to reading this (though I may wait until the 2nd one is out next month and do it back to back). I finished the other books around a month back and really really enjoyed them.The world and characters were fantastic and I couldn't put them down (there was a few late nights). While I was very satisfied with the ending of the final book in general it really left me wanting more of the characters/world so I am very happy you have plans to write more Royce and Hadrian novels.
    Hey thanks! The good news is the wait won't be too long. The back to back nature of the releases makes that pretty painless. After The Rose and the Thorn comes out, I'll be "taking a pulse" of what people think as far as more Royce and Hadrian stories. I don't want them to overstay their welcome...so I'm being cautious and would rather have them leave early then stay to long.

I think there is a lot of stories to be told! They both have very interesting pasts, and though some of it it touched on in the books (the original books that is, not the prequels which I've yet to read) I think there is still a lot to be told!

I must say though I respect your view about them not overstaying their welcome, if you feel their story has been told adequately (or even that you no longer find writing about them as rewarding as in the past) it's good to move onto new characters to keep things interesting. If you do choose to write further Riyria novels (outside of Royce and Hadrian) you also have the option of cameos. That's one of my favourite aspects of Joe Abercrombies writing also, those little cameos by characters you got to know in other books!

Keep up the good work, you've gone straight into my "Buy anything released on release day" list for my kindle!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpred View Post
    I think there is a lot of stories to be told! They both have very interesting pasts, and though some of it it touched on in the books (the original books that is, not the prequels which I've yet to read) I think there is still a lot to be told!

I must say though I respect your view about them not overstaying their welcome, if you feel their story has been told adequately (or even that you no longer find writing about them as rewarding as in the past) it's good to move onto new characters to keep things interesting. If you do choose to write further Riyria novels (outside of Royce and Hadrian) you also have the option of cameos. That's one of my favourite aspects of Joe Abercrombies writing also, those little cameos by characters you got to know in other books!

Keep up the good work, you've gone straight into my "Buy anything released on release day" list for my kindle!
    I agree on both counts...there are many stories that could be told...should they? That's another matter. I also have been thinking a lot about sequels that would be set very far in the future, where current Revelation characters have faded to myth and legend.

And thanks for adding m to the "buy on first day" list - That really helps with the all important first day's sales.