Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in October 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

As it's October, we'll be counting down to Halloween with our now-traditional posts from the awesomely-knowledgeable Forum member Randy M.

Have a great month: and a brilliant Halloween.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; September 30th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Mark

Starting this month with a continuation of Trinity Rising by Elspeth Cooper.

I have to admit that whilst I kinda like it, I'm really struggling with bits of it. It jumps around a little and I feel like I keep missing major things here and there. On top of that, there's been quite a few sex & rape scenes in the first 100 pages but I've been assured that after a certain point they drop off completely. Phew.

Not going to put it down, though.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    About halfway through Best Served Cold and really enjoying it. Abercrombie is one of the only new fantasy authors I've enjoyed in recent years (haven't tried Lynch or Rothfuss yet, because I'm getting sick of unfinished series).

Pie are round not squared
    Still plugging away at Reapers Gale. I'm about halfway through and I really can't say that it's good or bad. I would say that it's a big serving of the usual Malazan type story with a few dashes of new developments and a side of mild confusion about where this is headed.

However, as I've found to be the case with the other Malazan books, the last third of the book is usually what makes the reading the first two thirds "worth it". So onward and upward we go...

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Started Tim Marquitz's Embers of an Age.

Finished Tad Williams Dirty Streets of Heaven, overall thought it was OK but not great. A bit too over the top for me.

Currently reading Jack Finney's Time and Again.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ommet View Post
    Still plugging away at Reapers Gale. I'm about halfway through and I really can't say that it's good or bad. I would say that it's a big serving of the usual Malazan type story with a few dashes of new developments and a side of mild confusion about where this is headed.

However, as I've found to be the case with the other Malazan books, the last third of the book is usually what makes the reading the first two thirds "worth it". So onward and upward we go...
    Yup, it really picks up halfway through.

Almost finished Summer Knight by Butcher. Really enjoying it. Love this series. Should be starting Death Masks later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Starting this month with a continuation of Trinity Rising by Elspeth Cooper.

I have to admit that whilst I kinda like it, I'm really struggling with bits of it. It jumps around a little and I feel like I keep missing major things here and there. On top of that, there's been quite a few sex & rape scenes in the first 100 pages but I've been assured that after a certain point they drop off completely. Phew.

Not going to put it down, though.
    I agree. I just finished this. I was thrown initially by spending so much time with the tribe girl (forget her name) rather than Gair. I didn't quite understand the need to re-hash the previous book, this time from Savin's POV. Are we just meant to fear him more now? Couldn't she have woven that in to the first book and saved us 30% of the second ...? I'm not sure what Tanith (sp?) is either. What's the point of having her walk through that wood? Padding a story out with antics while getting from A to B is a bit 80's. The first book was a cracker. Of course, that makes book two tough but I was a bit disappointed nonetheless.

Merfiction - Free Ebook

Merminia is a fairly new fantasy book that I just finished. I love that it had a little darkness to it! Magic, mermaids, mermen, and a few battles.

I bought a paperback copy, but right now through an Amazon promo Merminia is a free download for the Kindle Version. I don't know how long it will last, but free is the cheapest form of entertainment.

"The book of Deacon" by Joseph lallo. found this among the free books on Kindle, its got me addicted. i will be buying the next 2 books in the trilogy on the back of it. theres a lot of dross in the free books, but there are some hidden gems, especially as you can get kind of stuck reading the same authors in long series.

As I hinted in our Hallowe'en thread, I've started The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan. So far, a bit of a challenge with the narrative shifts, but it stays in my mind.

I recently read Anne Rice's "Interview With the Vampire," actually I practically devoured it, it was so excellent... that is until I got to the end which really disappointed me. <spoiler> I guess it's because Louis got to the point where he didn't stand up for or care about anything anymore. And seeing a creature seemingly so naturally passionate as a vampire become like that kind of pissed me off and made for a poor ending to the book </spoiler>
    I'm now reading the second book in Rice's "Vampire Chroincles," "The Vampire Lestat," and I must say, being a heavy metal/hard rock singer myself, I'm quite intrigued by the idea of a vampire being the frontman and keyboardist in a hard rock band. I just hope this book doesn't let me down like the last one did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    As I hinted in our Hallowe'en thread, I've started The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan. So far, a bit of a challenge with the narrative shifts, but it stays in my mind.
    Apparently, I was barely up to the challenge. I didn't connect with this one as much as her earlier novel The Red Tree. I appreciate what Kiernan was attempting and it might even be fair to say that she succeeded but it just didn't work for me completely.

Change of pace to Erikson's The Forge of Darkness.

Recently I've gotten reviews posted for Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch and Dancing With Bears by Michael Swanwick. I still owe reviews for Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff and Trapped by Kevin Hearne. I've also read but probably won't review Two Ravens and One Crow a novella by Kevin Hearne and the prologue to A Memory of Light by Jordan and Sandeson - By Grace and Banners Fallen (in spite of my anger at having to pay for a prologue they should be giving away for free). I just started Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leict, which is looking to every bit as good as I thought it would be.