Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Really struggling with reading at the moment - can't seem to get into anything.

So I (re)started Sir Pratchett's The Truth (another Discworld novel) last night, and I seem to be doing okay with it.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Still only halfway through Best Served Cold, but damn it's good. I think Abercrombie has cracked my top 5 fantasy authors.

Finished Name of the Wind finally. Definitely a great book and I'm a huge fan of Rothfuss' writing style. For some reason though I'm not too keen on Denna and her relation to the story so far but we shall see how I feel in the next book. Can't decide if I should read The Wise Man's Fear or go back to Sanderson's writing with reading Elantris.

The Pilo Family Circus - for those wanting an original horror/fantasy with a good dose of (black) comedy thrown in, I'd strongly recommend it.

After reading the very good Nightfall a few weeks ago I looked into the author a bit more and started on his debut novel a couple of days ago. In The Pilo Family Circus, Will Ellliott has created a memorable list of characters that are both funny, scary and down-right strange at the same time.

The protagonist Jamie is unwittingly brought into the world of the Circus, and from there is seconded to a group of clowns to replace the previous "apprentice". Jamie becomes "JJ" the clown and ends up in a battle to beat himself and escape the circus (the inner battle between Jamie and JJ no doubt reflective of the author's known schizophrenia).

This is one of the better books I've read in years.

Quote Originally Posted by azninvasion99 View Post
    Finished Name of the Wind finally. Definitely a great book and I'm a huge fan of Rothfuss' writing style. For some reason though I'm not too keen on Denna and her relation to the story so far but we shall see how I feel in the next book. Can't decide if I should read The Wise Man's Fear or go back to Sanderson's writing with reading Elantris.
    I enjoy Rothfuss' writing style, though not as much as others. I have to agree though, the segments with Denna are awkward at best IMO (either the character herself or Kvothe's described feelings/emotions/actions in relation to their relationship). I much prefer the segments that do not directly involve her or their relationship.
    Last edited by MattNY; October 8th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    I enjoy Rothfuss' writing style, though not as much as others. I have to agree though, the segments with Denna are awkward at best IMO (either the character herself or Kvothe's described feelings/emotions/actions in relation to their relationship. I much prefer the segments that do not directly involve her or their relationship.
    I feel like it is her character thats the problem because the interactions between Kvothe and Fela felt more natural to me, despite them not having as much. And I also agree that the segments without her were much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    As I hinted in our Hallowe'en thread, I've started The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan. So far, a bit of a challenge with the narrative shifts, but it stays in my mind.
    Apparently, I was barely up to the challenge. I didn't connect with this one as much as her earlier novel The Red Tree. I appreciate what Kiernan was attempting and it might even be fair to say that she succeeded but it just didn't work for me completely.

Change of pace to Erikson's The Forge of Darkness.

Recently I've gotten reviews posted for Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch and Dancing With Bears by Michael Swanwick. I still owe reviews for Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff and Trapped by Kevin Hearne. I've also read but probably won't review Two Ravens and One Crow a novella by Kevin Hearne and the prologue to A Memory of Light by Jordan and Sandeson - By Grace and Banners Fallen (in spite of my anger at having to pay for a prologue they should be giving away for free). I just started Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leict, which is looking to every bit as good as I thought it would be.

Horsemen Chronicles is worth the ride

Took a chance on a recommendation (and the cover art was defintely worth the download) and started reading Horsemen Chronicles-Host of the Armageddon on Wednesday and finished it Sunday (took 5 days)!

It's been a long time since I picked up a book and didn't want to put it down. Heck, why couldn't Pestilence be lurking around as a wacked MD - definitely a page turner.

Love stories that pull you in and don't let you out until your done.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    The Pilo Family Circus - for those wanting an original horror/fantasy with a good dose of (black) comedy thrown in, I'd strongly recommend it.

After reading the very good Nightfall a few weeks ago I looked into the author a bit more and started on his debut novel a couple of days ago. In The Pilo Family Circus, Will Ellliott has created a memorable list of characters that are both funny, scary and down-right strange at the same time.

This is one of the better books I've read in years.
    Glad you enjoyed Pilo Family Circus. Looks like we both enjoyed it for the exact same reasons.

I am still plugging away at Cloud Atlas, should have it done in by the end of the day or tomorrow at the latest. I am enjoying it, but the middle story was a pain to read. I do like the use of different styles/mediums to tell each person's prospective. Unless the ending is completely insane I should rate this book rather high as it has been a pleasurable read.

I've been making my way through the Dresden Files. Finished up Proven Guilty, White Night, Small Favor and I'm about half way through Turn Coat. Not sure what it is about the series, but I've really enjoyed it so far. Just solid, fast paced fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kcf;700034 the prologue to [i
    A Memory of Light [/i]by Jordan and Sandeson - By Grace and Banners Fallen (in spite of my anger at having to pay for a prologue they should be giving away for free).
    Tor's way to make extra money from us desperate WoT fans However, I felt that the prologue was great! Felt that it was the most action packed prologue possibly in the entire series. Definitely a great set up for the rest of the book (Chapter 1 one which is free on Tor's site was really good as well).

Did you even "have" to buy it? I was under the impression it'd come in the full novel.

Obviously not. But I was at school and had a class cancelled so I had nothing to do for 3 hours so I decided to read the prologue.

Analyze That
    It definitely took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to post a new comment.

Anyways, I just finished "Of Blood and Honey" by Stina Leicht. It is really good. It is also very heavy and also rather depressing in some parts, so it is really not the novel you are looking for if you want a light read.

The impressive thing was how much was packed into this book. There was a lot happening for just 300 pages, but also enough time was spent to deal with Liam's emotions as things were happening, with almost no tradeoff. It is a rare thing to get a novel that is both action-packed and hits all the right emotional notes, so I have to give it a great deal of credit for that.

I've heard some negative things about the portrayal of Northern Ireland, and while I'm not qualified to comment extensively on that, I will say most of the sympathy in this book is toward the Catholic IRA. This makes sense in story, because that is the side Liam is on, and we don't really meet any characters from the other side of the conflict, but I certainly wouldn't call it a balanced look at the ordeal.

Oh, and I have to brag a bit about getting a signed copy of this book from a contest at Staffer's Blog, simply because I never win anything. So Justin, if you're around, you now own my favourite blog on the internet. Well, you were pretty close to my favorite before, but this seals it. Thanks a bunch.