Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in October 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

(Off to read Iain M. Banks' Hydrogen Sonata myself.....)

Mark
    Mark

Read a little more into Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard. I think this will be a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Read a little more into Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard. I think this will be a fun read.
    Been reading more of it too. Definitely one that makes you want to read just anther chapter, and a very interesting world too.

I've also started reading War of Honor as it's been a while since I read Ashes of Victory. I think I'll just focus on the main series for now and then go back to the other side-series once I'm caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

(Off to read Iain M. Banks' Hydrogen Sonata myself.....)
    Grrr. Mine should have arrived on Saturday. Sometime today then. Until it arrives I'll be finishing a Miles Vorkosigan novella, Labyrinth.

Read interesting books
    While a few novels of various kinds vie for attention on my reading list, I think I will either get seriously into Fractal prince or read an independent series debut with massive Weberian overtones (from names, to wormholes, though DW is subtler as here some of the apparent villains are a bit too caricature-ish Middle Eastern like, though of course there is the People's Republic aka Dominion of Unified citizenry here and its Citizen Secretary etc etc and the good guys are called Victoria and are led by Queen Beatrice), Alarm of war by Kennedy Hudner

Alarm of war moves briskly in the 50 or so pages I read while fractal Prince is still very cluttered as style goes (though it seems a bit more flowing than Quantum Thief), so we'll see

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I finished Catching Fire and Mockinjay by Suzanne Collins, a combination of fast, easy reading and extremely violent, dark subject - a good choice for holiday, but I don't think I will be interested in a re-read. The Hunger Games remains the best of the series.

I'm not sure what I will pick up next, probably some classic SF I've missed.

Blog Entries
    Grrr. Mine should have arrived on Saturday. Sometime today then.
    Sorry, Dang.

So far, so typical IMB.

Whilst you're waiting, you might want to watch this from last week: the glorious Iain, with Alastair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton in discussion. Makes an hour go very quickly.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnZnza8Kng

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Sorry, Dang.

So far, so typical IMB.

Whilst you're waiting, you might want to watch this from last week: the glorious Iain, with Alastair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton in discussion. Makes an hour go very quickly.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnZnza8Kng

Mark
    Score! Thank you! It would have taken me a while to come upon this.

Blog Entries
    No problem! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did....

Mark
    Mark

It. Has. Arrived.

I am thrilled to announce that I will be starting Iain M Banks' Hydrogen Sonata in a few moments. Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you all how it went, because upon reading the last page I will sublime.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    It. Has. Arrived.

I am thrilled to announce that I will be starting Iain M Banks' Hydrogen Sonata in a few moments. Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you all how it went, because upon reading the last page I will sublime.
    sorry, you need to be a Culture (or similar tech) AI or a full civilization to sublime; a puny human would be swept away to nothingness by himself/herself...

Reading Flood by Stephen Baxter. Really enjoying this one so far. The plot has dried out a bit a few chapters in though. The book started off with some good action and was moving along nicely. Now Im getting a very detailed description of London. It does look like the 'disaster' is really kicking off now so I think it will pick back up.

I have the sequel, Ark. I may start right into that one after finishing, or start into another book of his, The Wheel of Ice. Its a Doctor Who book set in the Second Doctor's time line. Big fan of classic who but haven't watched any of the second doctor. I procured all of the classic who back through Pertwee a few years ago but havent made it that far back yet. For some reason I decided to watch the doctor's in reverse order...

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    sorry, you need to be a Culture (or similar tech) AI or a full civilization to sublime; a puny human would be swept away to nothingness by himself/herself...
    Yeah, I just read that

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am starting David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. I hope to enjoy it and finish it before the movie is released. Got a lot on my plate as my vacation in the Philippines ends and I bring my fiancÚ home with me and have to get married and find a new job all in a very short amount of time.

Wish me luck on all fronts.

I'm more than half way done with Embassytown and loving it.