Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries
    Now that I have finished The Night's Dawn trilogy I've now started Leviathan Wakes. I'm about 80 pages in, so far, so good! I've cluttered up my current reading lately with a lot of titles including Clash of Kings by George RR Martin, Heavy Time by CJ Cherryh, and March Upcountry by David Weber and John Ringo. It's all good so far and I flip from one to the other depending on my mood at the time!

I finished Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch. Here we have a lighthearted cross between Men in Black and Heinlein's The Puppet Masters with a strong romantic subplot thrown in for good measure. The first half of the book was engrossing despite the quirky elements which kept creeping in. Unfortunately, everything fell apart around the middle mark and I've rarely witnessed a book deteriorate so quickly and thoroughly. Implausibility is the key word here as the plot kept defying logic and common sense. Just a few examples: Kitty Katt (yes...), the main character and narrator (first person POV), is a civilian who in the space of two days becomes a military field commander, can decipher ancient alien scriptures better than professionals who've been going at it for decades, is so insightful and intelligent that she constantly has to remind those deficient males how useless they are... all the while having every aforementioned male fawning over her. I wish I could say it's supposed to be parody of sorts but even the humor nosedived and crashed along with my expectations.

Adam Robert's Stone was an excellent read. Similarly to Jack Glass, it starts off with the most wanted criminal in prison and the subsequent breakout. Stone is different in that nanotechnology is abundant and the norm across the human race, resulting in very little crime. But the protagonist finds himself in a prison which is embedded in a star (!) and where is nano technology is removed. From there his is "commissioned" by an unknown entity to commit another major crime, in return for his freedom.

What follows is a fascinating adventure through the local universe while he tries to find his target and that same time working out who his subjugators are (and who the AI(s) are in his head).

I really liked this story and it's interesting that when I compare it to say, the recently read The Prefect by Reynolds, The Prefect pales into comparison.

Westsiyeed- I haven't read any of Adam Roberts' work yet, despite being interested in quite a few of his novels and hearing really good stuff about his work from the sff community. Any recommendations as to what to start with?

Well, I finished off Seeds of Earth last night and enjoyed it a great deal. A bit slow in the middle, but the opening and closing were very strong with a terrific set-up for the next volume Orphaned Worlds. I like the universe Cobley has set up a great deal and liked most of the characters, particularly the alien Chel whose race I found (O.K. just now realizing it) reminiscent of the Piggies from Card's Speaker for the Dead. (despite Card's socio-political views, SPEAKER is a classic novel)

Quote Originally Posted by starman03 View Post
    Westsiyeed- I haven't read any of Adam Roberts' work yet, despite being interested in quite a few of his novels and hearing really good stuff about his work from the sff community. Any recommendations as to what to start with?
    Well from what I've read - By Light Alone, Jack Glass, Yellow Blue Tibia, Anticopernicus (short), and now Stone - I've enjoyed Stone the best, but would recommend By Light Alone and Jack Glass as very good reads as well. I guess it depends on what sort of story/setting you like. Have a read of their plot summaries and see what appeals.

Most of his other books are now on my to-read list!

I guess it depends on what sort of story/setting you like. Have a read of their plot summaries and see what appeals
    I think that is the problem, as most of his books sound like stories that I would enjoy!
    Since I am currently under a self-imposed embargo on purchasing new books for a couple of months, I think I'll see what they have by Roberts in the local library. I'm pretty sure they have Yellow Blue Tibia, so I may go for that one first.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have to be in the mood for this, but when I am, it's great: David Brin's Existence does that thing of having scientists talk BIG ideas. Even when I don't agree with the point/viewpoint, it's the sort of thing I can really enjoy. And then other times, it drives me mad... Go figure.
    Mark

Yeah, as I've said Existence may likely end up being my favorite SF novel of the year, great Epic stuff. Must read more of Brin.

Roberts, on the other hand, just didn't work for me. Gradisil is the only one I've read by him, but I was very disappointed and I've never wanted to read more of his books.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, as I've said Existence may likely end up being my favorite SF novel of the year, great Epic stuff. Must read more of Brin.

Roberts, on the other hand, just didn't work for me. Gradisil is the only one I've read by him, but I was very disappointed and I've never wanted to read more of his books.
    well, Existence easily takes prize for worst book of the year for me, though I really liked Earth at the time; this one though just rubbed me wrong in so many ways that I could rant a lot about it; as top sf, I guess sort of by default Hydrogen sonata is #1 for 2012 with Eternal Flame, Sacrifice Game and Jack Glass next though yet unsure of final order

as Adam Roberts goes, his books are so different that it's hard to judge based on one novel - Stone (a Banksian riposte), Land of the Headless (romp with a literally decapitated hero and his headless life), By Light Alone (literary sf of the highest class - this should have at least been shortlisted for any literary prize it was eligible like the Booker), Jack Glass (romp) and Splinter (more literary sf of the highest class in a Vernian spinoff of Hector Servadac are huge, huge favorites of mine;

YBT (romp, Chernobyl and USSR 1986), Gradisil (literary sf), Salt (planetary adventure) and even Polystom (multiverse) are also quite good, only New Model Army (war by Google marred by grad-lit in a pub discussions about the meaning of life is only ok'ish; not yet read On (read some 50 pages and will finish at some point but there is something about child soldiers I dislike and the horizontal gravity stuff is not that convincing) and Snow (apocalyptic/disaster novel and I am not that keen on such); next year is Trillion Leagues Under the Sea and a collection Adam Robots - right now Adam Roberts is the only author I would buy an anthology for his story (ok and KJ Parker but this author's stories are mostly free in Subterranean and now Eclipse Online, rarely in anthologies)

I have been immersing myself in Tad Williams lately, Started Dirty Streets of Heaven but put it aside briefly while I travelled and picked up Otherland Vol 2:River of Blue Fire. I am completely in love with Tad's writing, characters and world. Every night I travel to Otherland, it's just so deep. Love love love it!!!

I'm going to finish Hamilton's Judas Unchained shortly (down to the last 50ish pages). Fun book, enjoyed the series (though it did suffer from some serious bloat - why did we walk the silfen paths for a few hundred pages?). I'm tempted to jump right into his Night's Dawn series, but I don't think I'm quite ready to sign up for another 3600 pages of reading yet.

I will keep with my theme of space opera October (Space Optober?) and jump into Alastair Reynolds' Redemption Ark which I've had sitting in my TBR for a long time.

Read the short story "The Plagiarist" by Hugh Howey, quite well written and a nice story revolving around virtual reality and what is real. Looks like Wool is still his best book to read though.