Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krisbslick View Post
    sigh... i wish I could re-live all Hamilton's books for the first time again.. it was a great ride.
    Sigh, I heartily second that sentiment. Hamilton's Night's Dawn was my first real foray into science fiction when I was sixteen, and I read the trilogy straight through (talk about jumping in at the deep end...) I've never turned back since!

Just finished Banks' Against a Dark Background. Another great book by Banks that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Read interesting books
    wrapping up my Weberian reread of the books and related stories from Crown of Slaves on, so next we'll see - I have two indies (Kennedy Hudner and JL Doty), Twelve comes this week, I still have fractal Prince to try seriously and Empty space to finish, though I have a few very interesting mainstream titles too and of course a few fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Think Mike would be pleased with that, Rob. If I remember right, the series is Mike's effort to write that sort of Space Opera but with his own twist.

Mark
    Tough to make a full comparsion right now (having read 70+ page of Seeds of Earth against reading 5 doorstoppers in Weber's Safehold) but Cobely isn't putting as much of a religious emphasis - at least yet.

This is all reminding me that the latest Safehold book is on shelves and one of those shelves isn't yet mine!

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Tough to make a full comparsion right now (having read 70+ page of Seeds of Earth against reading 5 doorstoppers in Weber's Safehold) but Cobely isn't putting as much of a religious emphasis - at least yet.

This is all reminding me that the latest Safehold book is on shelves and one of those shelves isn't yet mine!
    Personally I did not like the Cobley series that much when i read the Uk editions of #1/#2- btw I think a closer fit would be with IM Banks than with DW, but the first book had too much stuff within too few pages and the second went places i did not really care about, so while i may have flipped through the 3rd, I never really paid too much attention; this being said, I may want to go back at some point as there is some cool stuff in the series, including levels of reality, mysticism with sentient forests and such

As Safehold goes, Tor sent arcs for MTaT on demand (eg i got one in late august or so after asking nicely) but I am not sure they did finished copies so far; the series is now contracted for 11 with 2-3 more with the current stuff and 3-4 (that adds to 13 I know but as the books hit constantly the NYT bestseller list I see no issue there - MtaT was #10 in its first week) with the revelation fallout; then DW will deal with the Gbaba, but unclear how (in an epilogue, epilog book, or a series on its own) since as he noted wryly he is 60 this year and he still has those 5-7 (planned and could be more) in the current phase of the series...

I have no idea how David Weber writes so many books. Truly. And it's not like they're simple, either...

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I have no idea how David Weber writes so many books. Truly. And it's not like they're simple, either...
    He does not really "write" them as he has been dictating them for 12+ years now using speech recognition software to transform them into text, so his voice is crucial (he had a bad wrist injury years ago and since then this way has worked better for him); afaik he works 12 or more hours per day with few interruptions (eg conventions or visits abroad) so he has put 1.5-2 million words a year out fairly consistently for a long time and this is why now that he is getting to be 60, he noted the "I may have to slow down" issue...

You knew darn well what I meant when I said "write" (there's meant to be a winking face here!)

I still find it fascinating how he can hold all of these series in his head - it's not just the various Honorverse sub-series, it's Safehold and I think that 163* stuff he's doing with... um... Eric Flint? And other books too.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    You knew darn well what I meant when I said "write" (there's meant to be a winking face here!)

I still find it fascinating how he can hold all of these series in his head - it's not just the various Honorverse sub-series, it's Safehold and I think that 163* stuff he's doing with... um... Eric Flint? And other books too.
    Of course

But I think that using TTS explains DW's ability to keep this kind of productivity; he also benefits from the ability to discuss things with his fans (before he put up his forums, he used to hang on the Baen forums dedicated to his work) - all his extensive musings and replies are collected HERE - as i think that having this continual interaction with truly dedicated fans (and for almost 20 years now) keeps one really motivated

As for series:

Honorverse - about 1-2 books per year (next year could be 3/4 as is the 20th anniversary and there is a short novel House of steel (part of the 1/3 Honorverse compendium dedicated to Manticore and Grayson, with House of Lies and Haven/Adermanni in another year or so and finally House of Shadows, SL/Mesa last in another year or so), SoF which i just discussed earlier and possible the 6th anthology and Cauldron of Ghosts in collaboration with Eric Flint - note that some are more editor work than writing per se but still)

Safehold - 1 book per year

Bazhell - 6 more books planned, one in the actual sequence and a five book "mini series" completing the series, maybe next in 2014

YA Honorverse - editor mostly today

- the Prince Roger new trilogy - again more in editing/script as John Ringo has been mostly writing the series

- Multiverse - if/when the Linda Evans conundrum is solved as 3rd book is written in large part but still needs work and sadly Mrs Evans is not able to do it due to health issues

- varia as time will allow (he outlined his 'wish" list with respect to the other series like Path of the fury and Dahak, while the 163* maritime project he is signed to is for the indefinite future as of now and the Bug universe is all Steve White's and collaborators for now...)

Edit; and also there will be another series about Manticore, maybe a century or so after the YA (when as DW put it, Manticore is like Denmark today, a nice place to live but an obscure one of no real importance in the great scheme of things - forgot the exact chronology) when the Junction is discovered and Manticore becomes (and is forced to become) a galactic power; this will be co-written with T. Zahn afaik, so most likely it will follow the earlier collaboration patterns with first volume a lot of DW, later, mostly editing
    Last edited by suciul; October 15th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Fair points, suciul. I should really get back to Fire Season at some point...

But I'll definitely be picking up the special edition of On Basilisk Station.

Not to turn this into a David Weber thread, but there are also rumors of possibly continuing Out of the Dark.

Just finished Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star. It sort of begs for the sequel to be read immediately, so, on to Judas Unchained.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    Just finished Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star. It sort of begs for the sequel to be read immediately, so, on to Judas Unchained.
    Something of a cliffhanger, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Something of a cliffhanger, no?
    Almost as if it were intentional by Hamilton .
    You might also call it a
    Spoiler:
    cliff-over-the-side-into-null-g-freefaller

Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Wow! I absolutely loved this book! Will probably be the best book I've read this year. Having grown up in the 80's, it was so much fun reading this book with all the references to the greatest decade. I hope Mr. Cline keeps on writing more books. I'll be there. I'm now going to go put on some parachute pants and listen to some Thompson Twins.

I read The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter last week. Superb!

Any classic Who fan should definitely read this one. Its set in the second doctors time frame, and Baxter captures Patrick Troughton's character perfectly. Ive only seen 2 of his episodes, The Tomb of the Cybermen and The Mind Robber, apparently those are the only 2 that have survived in their entirety? . I would recommend watching at least one of them before reading this if you've never watched a Troughton episode. The relationship between the doctor, Jamie and Zoe is very close, good chemistry there. And you can then use Jamie's Scottish accent while you read

Fun story, and Baxter kept it in the style of the classic series. There is a human villain of course, and the terrorizing aliens are just misunderstood even though they do kill quite a few people. This was a common theme back then, Humans always inadvertently causing their own disasters through greed and ignorance.