Historical fiction and fantasy

I posted this thread a while back but it was deleted due to the protection protocols on this site mistakenly identifying my posts as spam. It's unfortunate but hey it happens and the moderators were apologetic and did try to retrieve the posts but to no avail.

So here I am again looking for historical fiction that deals with the 16th and 17th centuries but also any novels that incorporate fantasy and/or alternative history.

Main interests are Europe and the Ottoman Empire during the 17th century, specifically the mid to late 1620s but I'm also interested in their later periods as well such as the 1660s and 70s. Other areas of interest during these two centuries are Japan, Thailand and China.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Revenant J J; November 30th, 2012 at 07:02 AM.

The Innamorati by Midori Snyder is a good one that fits your criteria. It's been awhile since I read it and all I can remember is that I liked it enough to search out her other books.

Glad you were able to re-start up the thread. Here are some titles:

J. Gregory Keyes -- Age of Unreason series (alternate history in your favored time period)
    Benjamin Tate -- Well of Sorrows trilogy (secondary world with similarities to very early colonial North America)
    D.B. Jackson -- Thieftaker Chronicles (new one set in American Revolutionary era)
    Tim Powers -- On Stranger Tides, The Stress of Her Regard, Hide Me Among the Graves, The Drawing of the Dark
    C.J. Cherryh -- Rusalka series
    Vonda N. McIntyre -- The Moon and the Sun
    Mary Gentle -- A Sundial in a Grave: 1610

Oops, I just realized I misread your post and was thinking 1600's, 1700's, less Renaissance. There are quite a few Renaissance ones too, including Gentle's Ilario series. Will cull some of those later.
    Last edited by KatG; November 29th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Far East stories have names that are technical but sound cool, like: Spring and Autumn Period, Three Kingdoms Era, Red Turban Rebellion, the Warring States Period etc. So to make something up: Rebellion of the Sixteen Dragons.

Western folk stories tend to have the hero(es)' name and sometimes what they do. Beowulf, Gawain and the Green Knight, Lancelot du lac, the Pied Piper of Hamelin etc.

Things along these lines would add an authentic perception

Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
    The Innamorati by Midori Snyder is a good one that fits your criteria. It's been awhile since I read it and all I can remember is that I liked it enough to search out her other books.
    Ah yes I had forgotten this one from the old thread, was it you who suggested it back then as well? Either way thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Glad you were able to re-start up the thread. Here are some titles:

J. Gregory Keyes -- Age of Unreason series (alternate history in your favored time period)
    Benjamin Tate -- Well of Sorrows trilogy (secondary world with similarities to very early colonial North America)
    D.B. Jackson -- Thieftaker Chronicles (new one set in American Revolutionary era)
    Tim Powers -- On Stranger Tides, The Stress of Her Regard, Hide Me Among the Graves, The Drawing of the Dark
    C.J. Cherryh -- Rusalka series
    Vonda N. McIntyre -- The Moon and the Sun
    Mary Gentle -- A Sundial in a Grave: 1610

Oops, I just realized I misread your post and was thinking 1600's, 1700's, less Renaissance. There are quite a few Renaissance ones too, including Gentle's Ilario series. Will cull some of those later.
    1600's is correct but I have no interest in the 1700's, still you reminded me of D.B. Jackson's Thieftaker Chronicles which is a book I'm interested in getting

Can you comment on Mary Gentle's A Sundial in a Grave: 1610? It's a book I have been thinking about getting for a long time now as it's set during the early 17th century (a time period I have studied a lot) but I keep stalling due to some of the negativity surrounding it.
    Last edited by Revenant J J; November 29th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revenant J J View Post
    1600's is correct but I have no interest in the 1700's, still you reminded me of D.B. Jackson's Thieftaker Chronicles which is a book I'm interested in getting

Can you comment on Mary Gentle's A Sundial in a Grave: 1610? It's a book I have been thinking about getting for a long time now as it's set during the early 17th century (a time period I have studied a lot) but I keep stalling due to some of the negativity surrounding it.
    I have not read it; it's one of the ones better known of hers. Her Ash: A Secret History and the Ilario series might be better if you are leery of that one. Benjamin Tate's series is essentially 1600's-ish colonialism, so maybe there. Tim Powers' The Drawing of the Dark will work in the target area -- set in 1529 -- and a nice book.

Other Renny-ish works:

Ellen Kushner's famous Swordspoint series -- secondary world early Renaissance style
    Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet and the Dagger and Coin series -- sec world
    Lisa Goldstein -- Strange Devices of the Sun and Moon, The Alchemist's Door
    Traci Slatton -- Immortal
    R. A. MacAvoy -- Lensmen series -- sec world early Ren style
    A.J. Hartley -- Act of Will series -- sec world Elizabethan
    Bradley P. Beaulieu -- The Winds of Khalakovo -- sec world that sort of borrows in Ren-era cultures
    C.E. Murphy -- The Inheritors' Cycle series -- sec world Elizabethan
    Mercedes Lackey -- This Scepter'd Isle series -- Queen Elizabeth
    Michaela Roessner -- The Stars Compel -- Medicis
    Melissa Scott & Lisa Barnett -- Point of Hope, Point of Dreams series, The Armor of Light
    Elizabeth Bear -- Promethean Age series
    Mark Chadbourn -- Swords of Albion series
    Anne Lyle -- the Night Masque series
    David Duncan -- Kings' Blades series -- sec world Tudoresque
    Vonda McIntyre -- The Moon and the Sun -- 1600's alter history France

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ASH: A Secret History is one of the best alternate History books I've ever read. I'd recommend Sundial as well, but ASH remains a favourite as it was such a surprising read. Still ponder over the ending...
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    I have not read it; it's one of the ones better known of hers. Her Ash: A Secret History and the Ilario series might be better if you are leery of that one. Benjamin Tate's series is essentially 1600's-ish colonialism, so maybe there. Tim Powers' The Drawing of the Dark will work in the target area -- set in 1529 -- and a nice book.

Other Renny-ish works:

Ellen Kushner's famous Swordspoint series -- secondary world early Renaissance style
    Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet and the Dagger and Coin series -- sec world
    Lisa Goldstein -- Strange Devices of the Sun and Moon, The Alchemist's Door
    Traci Slatton -- Immortal
    R. A. MacAvoy -- Lensmen series -- sec world early Ren style
    A.J. Hartley -- Act of Will series -- sec world Elizabethan
    Bradley P. Beaulieu -- The Winds of Khalakovo -- sec world that sort of borrows in Ren-era cultures
    C.E. Murphy -- The Inheritors' Cycle series -- sec world Elizabethan
    Mercedes Lackey -- This Scepter'd Isle series -- Queen Elizabeth
    Michaela Roessner -- The Stars Compel -- Medicis
    Melissa Scott & Lisa Barnett -- Point of Hope, Point of Dreams series, The Armor of Light
    Elizabeth Bear -- Promethean Age series
    Mark Chadbourn -- Swords of Albion series
    Anne Lyle -- the Night Masque series
    David Duncan -- Kings' Blades series -- sec world Tudoresque
    Vonda McIntyre -- The Moon and the Sun -- 1600's alter history France
    Wow ok that's a big list! From a quick look over I only recognise Anne Lyle (who's debut I own) and Mark Chadbourn, so a lot to get stuck into!

Thank you for doing this KatG, it's greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    ASH: A Secret History is one of the best alternate History books I've ever read. I'd recommend Sundial as well, but ASH remains a favourite as it was such a surprising read. Still ponder over the ending...
    Yeah? Ok I will take your word on it and pick both of them up.

Thank you for your thoughts Hobbit!:-)

I Just remembered some other works from the previous thread.

They include:

Marie Brennan - Onyx Court series

Pierre Pevel - The Cardinal's Blades

Sarah Marques - The Vampire Musketeers

Blog Entries
    JJ: Reviewed both Marie Brennan and Pierre Pevel for the website. Both are pretty good. Pierre's is a good page turner; Marie's is a deeper, more thoughtful work.

Hope you like ASH now that you've been and bought it. It is one I've bought a few copies of over the years (but now quite hard to find), but many have liked it. Even with the ending...

Might be worth adding John Ford's The Dragon Waiting which adds (unlikely as it sounds) vampires to Richard III.
    Mark

JJ: Reviewed both Marie Brennan and Pierre Pevel for the website. Both are pretty good. Pierre's is a good page turner; Marie's is a deeper, more thoughtful work.
    Thank you for the links I will read those reviews a little late on.

I'm looking forward to Marie Brennan's Onyx Court series, this will mark the first time I have been excited about reading a novel with faerie in it.

Hope you like ASH now that you've been and bought it. It is one I've bought a few copies of over the years (but now quite hard to find), but many have liked it. Even with the ending...
    Thank you I hope so but I haven't actually bought it yet, still mulling over which sellers on amazon to purchase it from.

Might be worth adding John Ford's The Dragon Waiting which adds (unlikely as it sounds) vampires to Richard III.
    Might of been but I ended up reading the whole plot summery ha.
    Last edited by Revenant J J; December 1st, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you I hope so but I haven't actually bought it yet, still mulling over which sellers on amazon to purchase it from.
    In that case, a little word of warning. In the US they broke the book down into 4 books. The UK edition is 1 (very big!) book.

The ISBN you want is

Trade Paperback: 978-0575069015
    Mass paperback: 978-1857987447

Might be best to use those in your search. The MMP is still the size of a house brick, though!
    Mark

In that case, a little word of warning. In the US they broke the book down into 4 books. The UK edition is 1 (very big!) book.

The ISBN you want is

Trade Paperback: 978-0575069015
    Mass paperback: 978-1857987447

Might be best to use those in your search. The MMP is still the size of a house brick, though!
    Didn't realise it had such a large page count. Thanks for the heads up!