Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    496
    Blog Entries
    3

    25 best fantasy novels/series

    http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

    Good list, bad list? #discuss

    'pologies if this is an old one but it does have new entries from Cook, Sanderson & Abraham!

  2. #2
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    What a complete load of bull on both sides.

    It's a mixture of series and books and it's focused largely on Things Wot People Read Recently. That's always the problem with lists like these. It's all comparing books that aren't alike - e.g. Feist's Daughter of the Empire with Gaiman's American Gods - so it's not like these books are being judged by the same criteria.

    And everyone knows The Hobbit is better than The Lord of the Rings.

  3. #3
    The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    496
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    What a complete load of bull on both sides.
    I win my bet

  4. #4
    bingley bingley beep kissmequick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    134
    Oh that place.


    If you look hard you can find a comment from me some years ago. ><

  5. #5
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Yup. That's not based off your own book appearing, I hasten to add.

    I'd base a "Best Fantasy Books" list on how influential or popular a series has been, and what impact it's had. So I'd have The Hobbit, Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser and so on because those books have inspired countless writers and readers alike.

    I wouldn't put Rothfuss on there (ohmahglobshe'satitagain) for instance, because it's too early to tell what impact he's had and whether the success of Kvothe is going to stick or not, and on top of that there've been two books in his series (out of three?) so it might be similar to Canavan's Black Magician trilogy in which the third book is a steaming pile relative to the first two. Martin, however, has released 5 in his (which expands to 7 in the UK, possibly more overseas) and it's been a success since the start, as far as I'm aware.

  6. #6
    My problem is that it seems to concentrate on one kind of fantasy, heroic/epic/Tolkeinian/whatever-we're-calling-it-this-week. No Bradbury? No Leiber? No Le Guin? No Lord Dunsany? Those are gaping omissions. Also, extract Tolkien, Peake and Donaldson and apparently there was no fantasy written before about 1990.


    Randy M.

  7. #7
    Screw you guys, I like it. =)

    No offense, but Loerwyn, your statements contradict each other. In one sentence you speak to which Series/Book has the greatest impact should be higher ranked, and in another you say The Hobbit over LOTR? While some may agree The Hobbit is a better read, you cannot deny LOTR has had the greatest impact in the history of impacts, as far as fantasy literature is concerned. Also in these rankings I consider the book to be the series. For example "The Blade Itself" is #2, so I would consider "First Law" to be #2, and they are just mentioning the first book of that series. I'd hope so anyways...

    I can't agree with the whole list. But if you were recommending books to newcomers, I would strongly urge to follow this list. (Not the public version) I believe the Top5 there represents what many nowadays consider to be the top5...or at least very close.

    I think some people around here, no names, are just simply book snobs. And think if it doesn't have an expert prose or amazing style it's not worthy. I can't argue much as I am very much a Beer Snob(Budweister vs A Belgium Creme Ale? Comon now.) But people like what they like. This isn't a rank of the best writers....

  8. #8
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    No offense, but Loerwyn, your statements contradict each other. In one sentence you speak to which Series/Book has the greatest impact should be higher ranked, and in another you say The Hobbit over LOTR? While some may agree The Hobbit is a better read, you cannot deny LOTR has had the greatest impact in the history of impacts, as far as fantasy literature is concerned. Also in these rankings I consider the book to be the series. For example "The Blade Itself" is #2, so I would consider "First Law" to be #2, and they are just mentioning the first book of that series. I'd hope so anyways...
    Would we have The Lord of the Rings without The Hobbit? Would the story of The Lord of the Rings have happened without The Hobbit, both in terms of the internal world and also Tolkien's life? Do most people read The Hobbit first or The Lord of the Rings?

    I think it's quite easy to construct an argument for The Hobbit being the more important - not necessarily the more popular - book.

    As for the Book/Series thing - the list contained books that are parts of series (e.g. A Game of Thrones) and some series (e.g. a mislabelled Farseer Trilogy). You have either one or the other. Mixing both makes it much more complex, because you'll be comparing 200-300 page novels at times with series that are thousands of pages long (e.g. A Song of Ice & Fire and Wheel of Time), and rarely is a series consistent from book one to the final one. Just look how many people love the early WoT books but fell off or dislike the 7-9th (roughly) volumes for proof of what I mean.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Would we have The Lord of the Rings without The Hobbit? Would the story of The Lord of the Rings have happened without The Hobbit, both in terms of the internal world and also Tolkien's life? Do most people read The Hobbit first or The Lord of the Rings?

    I think it's quite easy to construct an argument for The Hobbit being the more important - not necessarily the more popular - book.

    As for the Book/Series thing - the list contained books that are parts of series (e.g. A Game of Thrones) and some series (e.g. a mislabelled Farseer Trilogy). You have either one or the other. Mixing both makes it much more complex, because you'll be comparing 200-300 page novels at times with series that are thousands of pages long (e.g. A Song of Ice & Fire and Wheel of Time), and rarely is a series consistent from book one to the final one. Just look how many people love the early WoT books but fell off or dislike the 7-9th (roughly) volumes for proof of what I mean.
    Yes that could be a lively debate. =)

    For the series you do have a point. I was speaking more to the 'pre-made' list not the public one. They combined some series and some left with just the first book. In my opinion they did this so it would be more recognizable. Game of Thrones vs A Song of Ice and Fire...or Gardens of the Moon vs Malazan Book of the Fallen....etc. I doubt if you went further than 25 you would run into Game of Thrones as #2 and Storm of Swords as #27...if that was the case then I would hasten to dismiss this whole list as ridiculous. =)

  10. #10
    Eh.I think it needs some major re-working.I mean where's the Elric Saga, The Dark Tower, The original Conan stories, The Fafrd and the Grey Mouser series, The Earth Sea saga (I take issue with some of the world building, but it is influential), and Kushiel's Legacy? Some of this is based on influence, others are based on personal opinion that I have listed here.
    Last edited by Riothamus; October 1st, 2012 at 07:09 PM.

  11. #11
    Unreasonable reasoner
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Abilene, Tx.
    Posts
    382
    To be fair, there's more to the site than that particular list. Many of the works or authors proclaimed to be missing in this thread are actually further down the list or on a separate category.

    I mean hell, at a glance there's even a list of most influecial fantasy...for those who think that should be the "best" list.
    Last edited by chokipokilo; October 2nd, 2012 at 02:33 AM.

  12. #12
    Hell! Ochos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    69
    what would happen if it were based purely on sales????

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochos View Post
    what would happen if it were based purely on sales????
    You'd have silly books like Harry Potter or Twilight on there.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Just look how many people love the early WoT books but fell off or dislike the 7-9th (roughly) volumes for proof of what I mean.
    7-10

    Because Crossroads of Twilight is most definitely the worst in the series. I still enjoyed it the first time, though.

    I don't really like the list. I would have expected to see books by Guy Gavriel Kay, Le Guin, Leiber, Zelazny, etc. over books such as Way of Kings, Dresden Files, or Prince of Thorns (no offense, Mark). I understand that the list is trying to include both classics and newer series, but it seems to lean too heavily in favour of the new. To each their own, I guess.

  15. #15
    the Rake
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    174
    Too recent, too much of one type of fantasy, and probably too male. The tone of the commentary is obnoxious and the entire site is riddled with significant errors.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •