Naval/Seafaring fantasy?

After reading Lynch's "Red Seas.." and Wolfe's "Pirate Freedom", I've become a bit enthralled with the elusive naval/seafaring fantasy sub-genre. Anyone else have similar interests? Anyone able to recommend other works in the same vein? Doesn't even necessarily have to be fantasy (James Clavelle has done some nice work in this area). Thoughts and suggestions?

I'd suggest The Chathrand Voyages by Robert V.S. Reddick, starting with The Red Wolf Conspiracy.

Not sure how good it is, but I know Kevin J. Anderson has written one, and it starts with The Edge of the World.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    I'd suggest The Chathrand Voyages by Robert V.S. Reddick, starting with The Red Wolf Conspiracy.
    Really good choice. The only other books I can think of are:

Paul Kearney's Seabeggers series, but it is not complete.
    Sail and Sorcery: Tales of Nautical Fantasy anthology edited by Elaine Cunningham
    Jack Vance's Showboat World
    Daniel Rabuzzi's The Choir Boats
    Tim Powers On Stranger Tide (the real story behind the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie)
    Robin Hobb's Liveship Trader

That is all I got, hopefully more people will be able to help you

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post

Sail and Sorcery: Tales of Nautical Fantasy anthology edited by Elaine Cunningham
    Tim Powers On Stranger Tide (the real story behind the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Not sure how good it is, but I know Kevin J. Anderson has written one, and it starts with The Edge of the World.
    Have read this one, and was not a fan of his style. Interesting premise though

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post

Thanks DB. I read the first of Kearney years ago and enjoyed it, but never continued for some reason. Been meaning to read Powers and Redick as well

You could try World Without End by Sean Russell. This is the first book in the Moontide and Magic Rise duology.

China Mieville's The Scar

I liked the Kevin Anderson Key to Creation series so different things appeal to different readers - you might want to pick up the first book and give it a chance. I also loved the Red Wolf Conspiracy series and I'm avidly awaiting Night of the Storm next month. Another series with a lot of pirate action is Sherwood Smith's Inda series. The first book isn't pirate oriented but the following books (especially the second book) are very much sea based.

I'll second The Chathrand Voyage series. It's really unique and a lot of fun. I just finished the second book of it, The Ruling Sea last night, and well, the last two pages...wow! Can't wait to dive into the third after work today!

Couldn't recommend The Chathrand Voyage highly enough. Read all four books last year and it is one of the best series I have read in years. Highly entertaining story set in a richly developed world, great characters and as mentioned above jaw dropping plot revelations, particularly at the ends of books two and three. I've read a few good series recently that were let down by a weak ending, but Redick gets this absolutely right as well. There's also a great line in humour running through the series.

Rogue Warrior
    Oh yeah, definitely The Chathrand Voyage, biggest fantasy surprise for me in years, love it....gotta get the last book soon and find out what happens.

I know a lot of people pimp the Kearney books, and lots of fans of Hobb.

The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson is great if your looking for Naval fantasy, first book being Into the Storm.

The Terror by Dan Simmons is also very good.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    as many have cited, Robert VS Redick has a shipboard quadrilogy. And Jack Vance's Cugel's Saga has some non-standard shipboard content where he looks after the giant worms that tow a ship.