Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Really good audiobooks?

I love me a good fantasy / horror audiobook - especially when the narrator is really good. I'm just finishing up ghost story Dresden files and really liked the actor/reader (even though this last one wasn't read by marsters, what a letdown!).

What are some good audiobook series? Just about done with ghost story so ill need something soon!

Books I've already listened to:
    Wheel of time series
    Game of thrones series
    Dresden files
    Mist born series (pretty much anything by Brandon Sanderson for that matter)
    Sword of truth series (didn't really like).

Ill add more here if I can think of any.

I just started Theft of Swords and I am very pleased so far.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwalker View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the read. The narrator they selected did a really good job (imo). I know that that can make or break the audio version. I think Marsters doing Dresden is a great example of "done right" and the "surfer dude" doing the Black Prism an example of a missed opportunity.

I came here to recommend Dresden... should have known that the OP had already listened to it...but was a very nice surprise to see my own book being recommended - so thanks for making my day.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the read. The narrator they selected did a really good job (imo). I know that that can make or break the audio version. I think Marsters doing Dresden is a great example of "done right" and the "surfer dude" doing the Black Prism an example of a missed opportunity.

I came here to recommend Dresden... should have known that the OP had already listened to it...but was a very nice surprise to see my own book being recommended - so thanks for making my day.
    Hello there! I am listening to the new audible/kindle read and listen sync thing they have now. It's like magic, one picks up just where you left off on the other. It's brilliant.

I must tell you I wish I would have picked up your work sooner. Besides the fact that I am very picky, I have been wary of books that are self published and have great ratings due to an article I read about fake or purchased reviews. You sir, however, are the real deal. You have some serious writing chops and it shows. I'm very excited that this is just the first of the series and I have more to come after I am finished! You have made another new fan! Congratulations on your success!

Hello there! I am listening to the new audible/kindle read and listen sync thing they have now. It's like magic, one picks up just where you left off on the other. It's brilliant.
    What sorcery is this? Since when has this been available?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    What sorcery is this? Since when has this been available?
    Only a couple of weeks. Since they introduced the new Kindle Fire HD's. It works with all of the Kindle apps. I listen on my Android audible app and read on my Ipad app. It is indeed a feat of dark magic....but I like it.

Blog Entries

I must tell you I wish I would have picked up your work sooner. Besides the fact that I am very picky, I have been wary of books that are self published and have great ratings due to an article I read about fake or purchased reviews. You sir, however, are the real deal. You have some serious writing chops and it shows. I'm very excited that this is just the first of the series and I have more to come after I am finished! You have made another new fan! Congratulations on your success!
    I'm glad to hear whispersync works so well...it is a brilliant concept and I wondered if it "really would work."

There are actually a lot of good books coming out from self-published authors these days. I did a list for Ranting Dragon you might want to check out some of those.

My reviews are all "legit" - I'd never buy a review, nor to a participate in "review trading" which is just asking for trouble ;-) I'm not sure how "wide spread" the problem is - I guess I expect the best in people so I think it is probably a case of a few bad apples spoiling the rest.

In any case, I'm glad you are enjoying it now...six books in the first series and another two that in a second (coming in August 2013). I do hope you enjoy reading/listening as much as I enjoyed writing.

Maine Pro Disc Golf
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I listened to the Black Prism about a month ago, really enjoyed it. I thought nothing of the performance at the time. I had just figured that the "surfer dude" tone that was used was done intentionally. When I downloaded the second book and started listening I was very sad to find out that the narrator had changed. It was like night and day. The two tones were so opposite of one another I was almost certain I was listening to a different story with the same character names.

The tone of the narrator can definitely make or break an audiobook. I assumed that Weeks had wanted his characters to come across in this manner. I actually preferred Gavin when he was portrayed as kind of aloof and condescending. (I thought it was comparable to some of the characters from Warbreaker) After starting book two, it has been rather hard to get myself into it. Every character I thought I had come to know has returned as some sort of distorted version of itself.

I guess what I'm getting at is how much control does an author have over the audiobook performance? Did you get a say Michael?
    I would also think that the more exposure you get as an author the more say you might have... And if that is the case, I wonder why Weeks would allow this to happen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren18 View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at is how much control does an author have over the audiobook performance? Did you get a say Michael?
    For me, none whatsoever...it was just "hope and pray" that you get someone you like. For the second set of audio...I also had no say (contractually that is) but Orbit wanted to shift the audio from Recorded Books to their own inhouse production company (Hachette Audio). I would have gotten more money if they shifted (Orbit takes 50% when it is sub-licensed), but I asked if I could stay with Recorded Books because I didn't want to roll the dice with another voice actor. My agent did some arm-twisting, and the next set will also be with Recorded Books. Now, I'm not sure if I'll get the same narrator, but i hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bren18 View Post
    I would also think that the more exposure you get as an author the more say you might have... And if that is the case, I wonder why Weeks would allow this to happen.
    I think you are right, that the bigger authors sometimes can get this negotiated into their contracts. To be honest I don't think Weeks did...just because it's a hassle to get such things added and you need to "pick your battles" when negotiating a contract.

If I were to guess I think they changed the narrator for that particular series because there were so many negative reviews of the person selected for the first version, but that is just a guess on my part. It could have been the other voice actor wasn't available or something like that as well.

I will second the Twinner's recommendations. All of Joe Abercrombie's books are great in audio form. I also found The Lies of Locke Lamora to be an excellent performance that held my attention more than physical book.

I'll definitely second this. I'm almost done and it's been great fun.

There are some really awesome versions of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant narrated by Scott Brick. He does such a great job on this series and is one of the reasons I've gotten hooked on it.

Another of my favorite audiobooks is Tolkien's Children of Hurin, narrated by Christopher Lee. Lee's voice is just so perfect for this style of book.

Thanks guys!

I am going to add first law trilogy and theft of swords to my "listen que."

I really wish I could read sometimes, but I am always on the go and audiobook form is perfect for me. So I'm always on the lookout for not only a great book, but a great narrator reading a great book - it's an awesome experience!

I think no one mentioned Stephen King's Dark tower, read by George Guidall. I don't listen to many audiobooks but found that one rally captivating!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daudi81 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I am going to add first law trilogy and theft of swords to my "listen que."

I really wish I could read sometimes, but I am always on the go and audiobook form is perfect for me. So I'm always on the lookout for not only a great book, but a great narrator reading a great book - it's an awesome experience!
    Thanks for including my books in your choices. I do hope you enjoy. I do think you'll be happy with your selections.