Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Starting to wonder if the site's style is a little bright. I don't think there's enough contrast between the various backgrounds, which might mean longer posts are harder to read (for me at least) as it might mess with my eyes.
    Yeah, after a week or few of the new forum, the colors don't work for me either. All too blendy.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Mods, be aware that every time I post to a thread, the reply is posted... but I am taken to a page that tells me an error has happened in posting... I see my post, still in an edit window, and I'm invited to submit or cancel the posting. Since it appears as if the first post didn't go through, you're inclined to submit the post... which gives you two identical posts.

As this never happened with the old design, I thought you might need to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    Mods, be aware that every time I post to a thread, the reply is posted... but I am taken to a page that tells me an error has happened in posting... I see my post, still in an edit window, and I'm invited to submit or cancel the posting. Since it appears as if the first post didn't go through, you're inclined to submit the post... which gives you two identical posts.

As this never happened with the old design, I thought you might need to look into it.
    I'll add to that. It happens to me when your post is the first post on the next page of that thread. It says "Are you sure you wish to leave this page your info will be lost". Then you hit DONT LEAVE, post again..and you just doubled posted.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's an odd one, folks. It's on the list: but perhaps the thing (for now) to do is press leave and see what happens. Presumably then it will only come up once. If it's a long post you might want to copy it first, just in case. Annoying, I realise.
    Mark

If you get that message, you can always refuse to leave the page, open the topic in a new tab/window and check to see if your post appeared. If so, close the tab and lose your 'changes'. If not, try again.

In my case anyways you just hit "leave page". The reason you get the message is because it is trying to display your post on the next page. You simply hit leave page and it's fine, it posts correctly. But I can just foresee many duplicate posts because of this popup. It happened in Chrome, not sure about other browsers.

Did the move to this new format make us more visible on the web or something? Because the level of spam posts has just gotten insane since the change.

Well, we closed off some of their routes into the site which were letting them post hundreds of spam blog posts per day. I think that has had the unfortunate consequence of pushing them into the main forums. There actually are not as many of them as before, but I think they're more visible now. The cyber-elves are looking into ways to close off more doors. Bear with us in the mean time. We're squashing them as soon as we see them.

Blog Entries
    I wish that was the answer, Rich.

Sadly the move was, in part, to try and restrict the spam: believe it or not, it is doing this, though you may just be seeing more of it than you used to. Always has happened, just most of it happened out of your way.

Understand the frustration: please bear with us.
    Mark

I have to say, I am naturally resistant to change at first, so I purposedly did not leave any feedback immediately.

After having a little time with it, I enjoy the new look. It is pretty crisp and clean. There are only a few things I would offer out for future changes:

- Return of smiley type icons (I am confident this is being looked into)
    - Ability to multi quote posts (not a huge deal)
    - Return of the latest reviews at the top of the page (not really needed, but I always enjoyed it)

As always to everyone that helps keep this site working (admins, designers, mods, etc) - thank you for all the hard work that is takes to keep this place running smoothly day in and day out.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    I have found that I do miss the top right hand notice of the last time I was logged-in. With that, I was able to benchmark how far back into a thread I would read to update myself.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have you all noticed the 'My Activity' tab on your profile page? I like it. Now it makes sense that site keeps track of all my friends here!

Check it out.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Okay: I just came to the site, saw it for a split-second... then it disappeared behind a full-page coverup-ad for some $#!+ or other, and I had to click a "Skip Ad" button to get back here.

For the record: I hate those things.

Blog Entries
    Me too Steven!

As far as I know, we don't subscribe/allow such advertising at SFFWorld: we have had issues with some of the advertising in the past. I'll pass it on to the cyberelves, though.
    Mark

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The smilies are back!!!