Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1

    Just started Mistborn (SPOILERS)

    So I just started Mistborn(Sorry Sullivan, I wanted yours next but I didn't have the book. It's on order.). I found a few threads already about this, but upon reading a few sentences I saw things I didn't want to see yet. I do this with almost every book I read, I hope it doesn't annoy people. But I wanted a spot where I can voice some opinions and ask some questions free of spoilers and the like.

    So, maybe it's because I just finished the massively heavy Malazan Book of the Fallen. But I am really liking this book so far. It's definitely a change of pace from Malazan. I feel that it kind of sucks that I already know Vin becomes badass(because of the suvudu cage matches). Looking forward to reading the rest!
    Last edited by chris777; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User azninvasion99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    48
    Mistborn is such a fun read! Sanderson definitely knows how to write a good story. I felt that his world was extremely well built (as is the same case in Stormlight Archive). I hope you enjoy it!

  3. #3
    Vanaeph Westsiyeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    816
    I enjoyed Mistborn too - read it in a couple of days on holidays. One of the things I really liked was the magic system - though won't go into specifics as there could be spoilers...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    I enjoyed Mistborn too - read it in a couple of days on holidays. One of the things I really liked was the magic system - though won't go into specifics as there could be spoilers...
    All I can say is to read slow and savor the fight scenes. The crazy unique magic system allows for some incredible epic fights.

  5. #5
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    406
    I've started it too (it's been on my radar for ages now). I like it so far, especially the magic system, and the characters are likable as well (not scumbags that seem to be popular these days). It's also refreshing to see a female protagonist in the coming of age line of the story).

    My only gripe is that the writing is sometimes too light in inappropriate places considering the subject matter. For example, the meeting where they decide to have a go at the revolution. It could have been a meeting of the middle managers discussing plans for the marketing campaign, for all the impact it creates. Yes, they even write on the board! Compare it with the weightiness of the Council of Elrond - even though sending Frodo to Mordor is a much simpler plan than a complex campaign to overthrow the Lord Ruler.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    I've started it too (it's been on my radar for ages now). I like it so far, especially the magic system, and the characters are likable as well (not scumbags that seem to be popular these days). It's also refreshing to see a female protagonist in the coming of age line of the story).

    My only gripe is that the writing is sometimes too light in inappropriate places considering the subject matter. For example, the meeting where they decide to have a go at the revolution. It could have been a meeting of the middle managers discussing plans for the marketing campaign, for all the impact it creates. Yes, they even write on the board! Compare it with the weightiness of the Council of Elrond - even though sending Frodo to Mordor is a much simpler plan than a complex campaign to overthrow the Lord Ruler.
    I'm not quite there yet. I just finished the part where Kelseir first tells them about the plan.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Annan
    Posts
    304
    I read the first book ages ago , decide to pick the series back up a couple of weeks ago. I am about half way through the last book now and it's an enormously fun read.

  8. #8
    I enjoyed the series, but I definitely liked The Final Empire (book 1) the best. The mythology towards the end of the trilogy becomes increasingly complex in a way that I thought detracted from the story.

  9. #9
    Registered User MattNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    542
    Chris, I think you are really going to enjoy this read. The first book is an unbelievable thrill ride, but the entire series holds up well too.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ94122 View Post
    I enjoyed the series, but I definitely liked The Final Empire (book 1) the best. The mythology towards the end of the trilogy becomes increasingly complex in a way that I thought detracted from the story.
    I agree with this.

  10. #10
    Registered User azninvasion99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    48
    I actually liked the mythological element that Sanderson used, I thought it was one of the best parts of the 2nd and 3rd books.

  11. #11
    Sanderson seems like what Martin meant by the "architect" type of writer. Everything's carefully planned. I think I'd go so far as to say he does the the most well thought out action scenes of any fantasy writer I've read. He openly admits to thinking "cinematically", which may or may not appeal to you.

  12. #12
    G.L. Lathian G.L. Lathian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    237
    I'm reading the second one: The Well of Ascension. I have to say they're quite good, however, not excellent. I think his storytelling is definitely improved in the Stormlight Archive, which gripped me a lot more. For starters, I like Kaladin a lot more then I like Vin. I did love Kelsier and felt he missed out on some perspective time for Vin's character development, which was understandable given the story.

    I do feel like Ham and the crew really don't do that much - sort of flap around and talk a lot, but never truly contribute in the actual scenes. For me, the Lord Ruler is also too minor an actual character to feel scary. He never does that much in the way of being really evil and frankly, I find he lets the nobles have way to much power, which takes away from his believability as a 'dark lord'. There was also some major points of contention/stupidity in the last scene (Mistborn: book one), which I can't talk about here.

    I still find it rather enjoyable, although his new novel, in my opinion, is better rounded and full of more interesting characters.

  13. #13
    I consider it an enjoyable series yet immensely flawed. I actually dislike his magic systems, both here and in Warbreaker, as they remind me too much of a video game or RPG. Characters are weak, dialogue is weak, yet it is a fun light read. Certainly not boring so Sanderson is doing something right, and I will keep reading his books, but not the level of writing that I look for to call a book great.

  14. #14
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    406
    Any well-thought out magic system that allows for great fits of power would probably remind (or be influenced by) a game (see Butcher, for example). The alternative is a low magic world which is usually boring to me personally (Tolkien being the only exception - but at least he had all sorts of critters!).

  15. #15
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    406
    I'm halfway through and starting to have suspicions about the upcoming twist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •